RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

when to replace ATF, Transfer Case & Diff. fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-05, 11:51 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
Default when to replace ATF, Transfer Case & Diff. fluid?

I am somewhat DIY challenged and in the process of learning how to do some of these stuff. One big question I have is: Just exactly when am I supposed to change the automatic transmission fluid, transfer case fluid and differential fluid? Looking at the manual, it just says "inspect". I can't just be inspecting it forever and hope everything is OK, right?

What am I looking for when I "inspect" these things? Color? Thickness? and/or Debris?

Also, what is the transfer case? Is it something I have? (RX300 AWD 2001)

Thank you for your kind suggestions in advance.
Old 02-24-05, 02:26 PM
hermanrd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus or Toyota Dealer, 30,000-60,000-90,000-120,000 miles.
Best of Luck, We are very Happy w/RX300-2000
Old 02-24-05, 10:03 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The guide I have from my dealer suggests that the tranny fluid be changed as early as 15K... it was almost $200!?! I believe it doesn't need to be changed until at least 50-75K, from what I've heard from others... I'd ask a mechanic (not from Lexus, though)
Old 02-24-05, 10:57 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For most people, every 60K miles will do.
Old 02-25-05, 05:34 AM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The transfer case is found on 4WD vehicles.
The engine is set up to proviide power to the front axle, and then the transfer case uses the front axle to power the driveshaft going to the rear axle.

The RX330 manual has you doing a lot of "inspecting" (don't ask me how):

Automatic Trans Fluid: Inspect every 30,000 mi; Replace every 2 years (more if towing)

Transfer Case Oil (4WD): Inspect every year (needs changing if towing)

Rear Differential Oil (4WD): Inspect every year (needs changing if towing)

Front Differential Oil (2WD and 4WD): Inspect every 30,000 mi; Replace every 2 years (more if towing)
Old 02-25-05, 11:45 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Thanks for the information.

I still haven't heard from anyone about what to look for when I "inspect" it?

Just exactly what am I looking for? I can inspect it but I gotta know what I am looking looking for...
Old 02-25-05, 01:06 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Inspect the Automatic transmission fluid for a cherry clear color; not dark red to rust color to black. The Front differential is part of the transaxle and shares T-IV Automatic transmission fluid. It has a seperate drain plug from the transmission pan yet fills from the automatic transmission fill tube. The cast iron cased transfer case bolted to the front differential uses GL-5 80W90 gear oil. Open the fill plug, with a blue label and 15/16 socket size, at the rear of the unit. Look for a little fluid to leak from the hole and be thick clear oil... without any transmission fluid color. The fluid should be just even with the bottom of the fill hole. Tighten the plug to 40 Ft Lbs. Wipe up any fluid spills. This is the inspection proceedure, as I do it. The differential driving the rear wheels (AWD) is cased in cast iron and also uses GL-5 80W90 gear oil. The inspection for this unit requires a 10mm Allen type 3/8 socket to remove the upper fill plug. The oil should be a thick clear oil, not blackish. Don't be afraid to stick your finger in the hole to determine the level below the hole edge. The proper level is again the bottom of the fill hole. Tighten the plug to 40 Ft Lbs. Wipe up any fluid spills. All the plugs have compression seal washers.
Old 02-25-05, 02:35 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

I get it now. Just went out to my car and checked the transmission fluid. Not good! It's black. I better replace my transmission fluid this weekend. Thanks for the infor.
Old 02-25-05, 07:39 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Please use only Toyota Type T-IV fluid from a Toyota dealer. Four quarts. The transmission pan plug and front differential plug have aluminum washers and are different plug types, though they are both 10mm allen hex. I remove the pan plug first, allow to drain, then the front differential plug. These two I tighten to 30 Ft Lbs, reusing the seal washers.
Old 03-01-05, 11:22 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

I chickened out after looking at the darn thing and decided to go to Toyota express service at Manhattan Beach Toyota in So.Cal.

Question. Do I NEED a flush and fill for the transmission? Or should I just get the drain and fill. I've heard that flush and fill may not be good for neglected transmission like mine due to a possibility that some "muck" or "sludge" may get lodged in the transmission during a flush process? Is this really true? Of course, the toyota guys tell me that I HAVE TO HAVE the flush and fill because they make more money....

Thanks again for your kind advice.
Old 03-01-05, 04:15 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

My advice would be to flush and fill if it has been 30,000 or more miles since your last fluid change. This has been discussed here in the past and I believe the word was the total capicity of the transaxle is 9.5 quarts if "dry". Toyota would use about 16 quarts to flush out all the old fluid in your unit, including the torque converter. They would be using the Type-IV fluid. My opinion is that this transmission likes fresh fluid to run properly on the long run. Every 15000 miles there after, I would have a drain and fill done as preventive maintenance.
Old 03-02-05, 06:14 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In most cases I am not in favor of a transmission flush. Usually a drain and fill is all that is necessary. However, looking at all the facts in your case I think I would go for the flush. Lexus USA claims the transmission fluid in a 2001 is lifetime fluid and does not require changing unless you are a taxicab or towing (check your manual). In my last conversation with them they have not changed this position. I think it may have changed in Canada.
But we all know of the RX higher than normal transmission failure rate. Given the fact that you are using a Toyota dealer for the flush you are sure to get Toyota Type T-IV fluid. Most non-Toyota shops that do flushes use a compatible fluid. I don't know if I would be comfortable with that. Being that you have an 01 and the fluid is black I am assuming you have at leat 60-70k on it. If you only have 30k just do a drain and fill. What are the prices of d&f and flush?
I also have a 01 SilverSport and was going along assuming I had lifetime fluid. At about 60k I noticed the fluid color change and started reading about others noticing the color change and some having transmission failure. I did a drain and fill myself at 60k and repeated it at 70k. I will continue with drain and fill every 30k. If I had thought of using a Toyota dealer for a flush I would have considered it, if the price isn't to bad. Then continue with d&f every 30k after that.
Mike
Old 03-02-05, 09:01 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another good reason for not flushing is the fluid viscosity. The tranny fluid's viscosity does change gradually over time, and the tranny learns to work with it. A flush replaces about all the fluid, then the tranny will have a hard time adjusting to it. For the same reason, one must use the tranny fluid designed for that vehicle because each manufacturer has different viscosity tranny fluid. There's no one-fits-all tranny fluid.

Also, the tranny fluid can actually last the life of the vehicle (surprise!) under typical condition. I drain-n-fill every 60K miles just for the peace of mind, not that I think it's necessary. I have never seen black or discolored tranny fluid in any of my cars.

For those with black tranny fluid, drain-n-fill twice and try to find the root cause of the problem. Perhaps the tranny is not being cooled properly. If you often tow a trailer or drive in heavy traffic in hot weather, consider putting in a $250 tranny cooler to protect your tranny. A Lexus tranny job can be from $700 to $2000+, so it's a good investment. There are cheaper cooler pans out there for Ford & GM vehicles that help cool the fluid and increase fluid capacity. Not sure if anyone makes those for Lexus.

According to the latest CR owner survey, less than 2% of the RX owners reported tranny problems in all model years.

Last edited by HarrierAWD; 03-02-05 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-03-05, 11:05 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Went to the Toyota Express Lube station yesterday and did a drain and fill for 60 bucks. The color of the fluid is still dark but I will do it again at the next oil change.

Thanks for all your input.
Old 03-05-05, 08:06 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much did they want for a flush?

Quick Reply: when to replace ATF, Transfer Case & Diff. fluid?