RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Getting an oil change every 3,500 miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-05, 11:47 AM
vinster29
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Getting an oil change done every 3,500 miles

With all the recent troubles the RX300 has been having with engine sludging I was wondering if it would be a good idea to get my oil changed every 3,500 miles instead of every 5,000 miles. Does anyone else do this? I have been getting my oil changed every 3,500 miles as recommended by my Toyota dealer but I'm not sure if this will help over the long run or if this is just a sales gimmick by Toyota to make more money. Any input on this issue would be appreciated.
Old 04-02-05, 12:20 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

unless you live on the surface of the sun, go by your owners manual.
Old 04-02-05, 12:44 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't forget the 6-month-interval rule. If you drive 7,000 miles/year, then an oil change every 3,500 miles is right on schedule.
Old 04-02-05, 02:23 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I follow the 5k manual recommendation and went to full synthetic.
Old 04-02-05, 04:13 PM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts

I go the dealer for the 7500 and do the the mid-way change myself.

On a sperate issue, the service rep in his initial guess wrote ... ( I am paraphrasing) .. due to extended interval in oil change, there can be engine gelling issue... they pulled the valve cover and put is back on with the comments that "no gelling issue... the oil seems to have been replaced more often.

Saim
Old 04-03-05, 12:53 PM
Domo-Kun
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably overkill. Stick with the 5000 interval
Old 04-05-05, 05:23 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by vinster29
With all the recent troubles the RX300 has been having with engine sludging I was wondering if it would be a good idea to get my oil changed every 3,500 miles instead of every 5,000 miles. Does anyone else do this? I have been getting my oil changed every 3,500 miles as recommended by my Toyota dealer but I'm not sure if this will help over the long run or if this is just a sales gimmick by Toyota to make more money. Any input on this issue would be appreciated.
If your that concerned about the engine gelling problems that only a small amount if owners have experenced, I would suggest switching to a top quality synthetic oil & change it every 6 months or 5,000+ miles.......I switched from Mobil 1 to Amsoil personally (along with a top quality oil filter) as the the RX & ES have pretty much the same mechanicals. The way your doing it now, I have to agree with others here......the 3,500 mile interval is overkill even with dino oil.
Old 04-05-05, 06:57 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default gimpy and the sludge monster

Anytime the issue of extended oil changes comes up, I think of the sad tale of gimpyrx over on the Edmund's forum. I believe the same guy was once a CL member, but I don't recall his sn and I can't search that far back.

Gimpy was an Amsoil MLM marketer back in the fall of '01, who sang the praises of Amsoil to all of us in the great and unwashed audience. His product required changing only at 24,000 mile intervals because it was so superior to ordinary lubricants. He was merciless to us lesser life forms who were not posessed of his superior mental capacity, and waxed eloquent over the advantages of his product. He ranted on endlessly until one day at about 24K miles, his engine literally ground to a halt.

Whether it was technically "oil gelling", sludge, or stupidity that turned his engine into a coffee table is not known, but despite his threats and invective, Lexus would not honor his power train warranty, saying something ignorant like "you seem to have exceeded your recommended 5K oil change intervals". When forum members reminded him that Amsoil "guaranteed" their product, and to go get his $13,000 engine replacement from them, he quickly discovered that there were exceptions to that warranty too - something like, "if the driver ever wears a hat . . . ", or "not to exceed 21.5 mph while driving . . . ".

I don't know if Gimpy ever got a new engine, but it was a cinch he was going to pay for it out of his own pocket. We didn't hear much out of him after that . . .

There seems to be a lesson here: If you want to gamble a new Lexmotor on someone else's advertising claims, two analyses would seem to be in order:
  1. Your stock portfolio, for short-term windfall gains as a hedge.

2. Your head.

Old 04-05-05, 01:32 PM
Out2L8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's funny that you mentioned 'ol Gimpy! I was trying to remember his handle a while back and couldn't come up with it. Man, he was an ignorant butt!

He was from around me here in the ATL area some where, but I never found out where he bought and had his car serviced. I would have loved to hear the dealer's side of that tale!
Old 04-05-05, 05:00 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I follow the 5k manual recommendation and went to full synthetic; doing it myself every other time, or so.
Old 04-06-05, 05:05 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Anytime the issue of extended oil changes comes up, I think of the sad tale of gimpyrx over on the Edmund's forum. I believe the same guy was once a CL member, but I don't recall his sn and I can't search that far back.

Gimpy was an Amsoil MLM marketer back in the fall of '01, who sang the praises of Amsoil to all of us in the great and unwashed audience. His product required changing only at 24,000 mile intervals because it was so superior to ordinary lubricants. He was merciless to us lesser life forms who were not posessed of his superior mental capacity, and waxed eloquent over the advantages of his product. He ranted on endlessly until one day at about 24K miles, his engine literally ground to a halt.

Whether it was technically "oil gelling", sludge, or stupidity that turned his engine into a coffee table is not known, but despite his threats and invective, Lexus would not honor his power train warranty, saying something ignorant like "you seem to have exceeded your recommended 5K oil change intervals". When forum members reminded him that Amsoil "guaranteed" their product, and to go get his $13,000 engine replacement from them, he quickly discovered that there were exceptions to that warranty too - something like, "if the driver ever wears a hat . . . ", or "not to exceed 21.5 mph while driving . . . ".

I don't know if Gimpy ever got a new engine, but it was a cinch he was going to pay for it out of his own pocket. We didn't hear much out of him after that . . .

There seems to be a lesson here: If you want to gamble a new Lexmotor on someone else's advertising claims, two analyses would seem to be in order:
  1. Your stock portfolio, for short-term windfall gains as a hedge.

2. Your head.

As mentioned many times here & on LOC, I too have switched to Amsoil from Mobil 1 (no I don't sell it to others or am part of a dealer network.......I just purchase it wholesale as I know people) which works out to be less than Mobil 1. I personally would not feel comfortable leaving any engine oil in my car for 1 year or 25,000 miles even though Amsoil says you can......It is an excellent product mind you, but do change your oil when it's recommended.......in my case, Lexus suggests every 6 months or 8,000 kms (5,000 miles).