RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Aftermarket Wood Dash

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-03, 11:25 AM
drurywoodson
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

cmstahl, could you post pictures of your dash kit? I'm particularly interested in the color matching, the edge finish, and how well the pieces adhere on top of the textured dash surfaces. Does the adhesive fill the gaps, or is there visible air space between the underlying dash and the wood if you look closely?

--drury
Old 10-02-03, 03:36 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

drury, the JoshuaT pieces I had that were not damaged in a shipping problem looked great, the Jtree wood looks fabulous except it was a lot darker than my oem in the car, but in my opinion many of the pieces left plastic reveals around the edges of the wood pieces. Several of the pieces I believed really needed to be cut larger a mm or so to fit right without edge reveals of plastic beneath but they told me they felt the fit was fine.

Maybe you could get a sample or two to test, also watch the return policy on aftermarket wood.
Old 10-03-03, 07:04 AM
cmstahl
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

drurywoodson --

Will take pics later today and post for you. For now, in answer to your questions about adhesion, fit and matching, I found the kit to be good on all counts.

I'm not quite sure what you mean about "visible air space between the underlying dash and the wood". If you mean are there air bubbles making the pieces look lumpy or wavy, then no. The pieces on my kit are well-cut and fit well, and look smooth. The color matches well (I have the dark wood).

With regards to edge finishing, the company that I bought my kit from laser cuts their kits. The edges are nice and smooth and contours in the pieces are accurate to the shape of the location on the car. The edges, however, are not tapered, so for pieces that simply lie on top of a surface (for example, the pieces that surround the vents closest to the doors), there will be a "step" effect. When I initially received the kit and was looking at the pieces, I though this would be an issue, since the woodgrain does not go through the entire surface of the pieces and I was afraid the edges would be noticeable, but they're really not.

Overall, I'm very happy with the kit. I think the quality is good, and it definitely adds to the look of the interior. Will post pics later today.
Old 10-03-03, 11:00 AM
cmstahl
Rookie

Photos of RX330 (Light Gray w/dark wood Interior) with Sherwood Dash kit. Note that I decided to leave off pieces covering brushed-metal textured areas on center console and arm rests on doors, as I thought these would be too much. Apologies about the glare...

Passenger side dash - added wood trim to glove box and vent
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Wood Dash-picture-002.jpg  

Last edited by cmstahl; 10-03-03 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-03-03, 11:07 AM
cmstahl
Rookie

Driver's area - wood trim added to vent, area left of wheel and "L" logo on steering wheel
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Wood Dash-picture-003.jpg  
Old 10-03-03, 11:09 AM
cmstahl
Rookie

Stereo / A/C / Driver information area
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Wood Dash-picture-004.jpg  
Old 10-03-03, 11:11 AM
cmstahl
Rookie

Driver's door - added trim to door pull area and decorative strip along top of storage pocket.
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Wood Dash-picture-005.jpg  
Old 10-04-03, 06:03 AM
parula
Instructor

CM, that really looks sharp!

While it is hard to tell from here the fit looks good, great pics. Nice look overall.

I'm going to look into Sherwood for mine now.
Old 10-06-03, 05:49 AM
cmstahl
Rookie

parula --

FYI, Sherwood Dash is the manufacturer of the kit, so I don't know if you can buy directly from them. When I was looking around for my kit, I found another dash kit by another manufacturer (I don't recall their name) and when I called them direct to ask a question, they indicated they don't sell directly to the consumer, so Sherwood Dash might be similar.

I purchased my kit from www.discountdash.com. They are out of Canada and I dealt with a guy named Mike, who was very helpful and answered all my questions. Discount dash also has a schematic of all the pieces included in the kit, with each piece labeled with the location in the car, and I also think they might have installation instructions posted on their website.
Old 10-06-03, 06:31 AM
parula
Instructor

cm tks, I'll try that.

FYI Sherwood appears to be on line too, http://www.sherwooddash.com/contactus.htm .
Old 10-09-03, 10:51 AM
StrmRdr23
Pole Position

that's a whole lotta wood! looks nice!!!
Old 10-10-03, 10:12 AM
RXSwoosh
Rookie

Thanks for the info and pics... I ordered from discount dash today... The golden birdseye was a bit more xpensive than the walnut. Total with shipping was $264. I am hoping for a great match.

Never would have done this had I not seen the pics of how good they looked.. Thanks again and I'll post once I install.... I am just a bit worried about getting a sunny warm day with the Portland winter coming on!

Thanks again!
Old 10-13-03, 01:06 PM
beryfitz
Driver School Candidate

Default RX330 Photo

Sherwood Dash for RX330
Old 10-13-03, 01:26 PM
MovieTime
Driver School Candidate

that looks beautiful