RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Fuel Tank Problem in RX300

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-05, 02:33 AM
Tanveer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Fuel Tank Problem in RX300

I have a Toyota Harrier / RX300 of 1999 model. I bought it with 60000 kilometer. The previous owner told me that the car has some problem with the fuel pump and that has to be replaced.
When I was replacing the pump after three months of purchase, it was found that the fuel tank has developed heavy rusts.
I live in Dhaka, Bangladesh. I tried to find a fuel tank but have not succeded yet. I cleaned the tank, the car is running well, but the mechanic said that it may develop fuel pump again in three / four months if the tank is not replaced.
Is there any way to repair it?
From internet I have found that the model should have cruise control. But I have not yet found how to use this feature.
Can anybody please help me?
Regards.
Old 04-25-05, 05:05 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Smile Welcome to CL, Tanveer!

Rust inside the fuel tank is usually due to it being pumped into your tank with the fuel, not the tank itself rusting. Water and rust present in your vendor’s tanks is being delivered to you with the fuel. That is probably the source of your fuel pump problems as well, if the filter in the tank is clogged as well. Replacing the tank would not help, you are still going to get "new" rust and water in your tank.

If the tank is rusting, it indicates the presence of water in your fuel. Your gasoline dealer, or someone in his supply chain, has a problem with his tanks or ventilation system - I'd suggest you purchase fuel from someone with new tanks who sells a large volume of fuel. That would at least eliminate water condensed into the product (since it does not spend much time in the dealer's tank), and it would tend to distribute what water contamination there is quickly among a larger number of buyers.

One solution would be to add an alcohol fuel additive whenever you refuel to adsorb the water and prevent it from collecting in your tank. Rust in the tank could be the least of your problems though - as water (or over-application of fuel additives) can damage your engine.

The best solution for you would seem to be to install a large water-adsorbing fuel filter between the engine and tank. I once purchased fuel from a vendor with a badly contaminated tank that required me to remove the tank from the vehicle (Suburban) and have it steam cleaned. I had my fuel system flushed and I installed a large water-adsorbing spin-on fuel filter (about the size of a large oil filter) just after the fuel pump under the hood. Until I did this, I had to change the small (cigarette filter sized) fuel filter on the carburetor about once a week, as it would clog and restrict fuel flow to the engine so badly I could only drive about 15 mph. After removing about a cup and a half of “mud” from my 40-gallon fuel tank, and installing the filter I had no further problem.

In aviation, where fuel contamination can be a life-or-death matter, many years ago we used to place a 16" square of chamois in the bottom of a gallon-sized "bucket funnel" and dispense fuel through the chamois into the tank. The chamois would allow fuel to pass through, but would absorb water and strain out dirt and rust from the fuel supply. Naturally, this chamois must be used for this purpose ALONE, and cannot be used to dry the car. If your local gasoline is extremely contaminated, and all else fails, something like this might be a solution for you. It’s crude, but effective.

Anyone have any other ideas?

As to your cruise control, you should have a stalk sticking out of the steering column at about the 5 o'clock position with the wheels straight -similar to other Toyota products. The button on the tip switches the control on, pushing up sets, pushing down resumes, and pulling it toward you releases it.
Old 04-25-05, 04:42 PM
cnynctry
Driver School Candidate

The first item is making sure you eliminate the moisture in the tank. If you can't find a replacement tank you can use a sealer. It will require the removal of the tank and a good cleaning. Then seal it with a product like this. TANK SEALER 1quart seals up to a 28 gallon tank, and only $26. I havn't used this product but I have used other simular products for older moter cycle tanks.
Old 04-26-05, 12:21 AM
salimshah

Received 1,045 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by Tanveer
I have a Toyota Harrier / RX300 of 1999 model. I bought it with 60000 kilometer. The previous owner told me that the car has some problem with the fuel pump and that has to be replaced.
When I was replacing the pump after three months of purchase, it was found that the fuel tank has developed heavy rusts.
I live in Dhaka, Bangladesh. I tried to find a fuel tank but have not succeded yet. I cleaned the tank, the car is running well, but the mechanic said that it may develop fuel pump again in three / four months if the tank is not replaced.
Is there any way to repair it?
From internet I have found that the model should have cruise control. But I have not yet found how to use this feature.
Can anybody please help me?
Regards.
As suggested, solve the root cause .. get the petrol which does not have water (generally introduced in the supply when the petrol resorvoir at the pump is a non-water_tight tank. Check with the owner, what makes thier resorvoir water tight, Try going to new petrol station where they use actual tanks as apposed to cement tanks in the ground. In the absense of codes/laws the economics of loosing petrol in ground due to cracks and leaching, newer petrol stations most likely would have proper tanks, Also see if the filer joles are raised, so that rain/flood-water can not makes it way to the reservoir.

2nd cause of rust is due to condensation. With high humidity in Dhakka, the air above the fuel will be full of fuel vapors and humid air. Here the solution is to minimize the amount of air by keeping your tank full of petrol. Inconvinient.

After a good cleaning of the gas tank (or a new tank) consider coating the inside with a special paint (see other post). I dont know how effective this would be.

Also research if adding a piece of metal in your gas tank., will alter the electro-chemical proporties to prevent rusting. Once again, I do not have ant experince in this area.

Cruise Control operation, In RX300, there is stalk on the stearing column, almost touches my Knee. On-off button is at the tip of the stalk. Lift the stalk up (like flicking and HOLDING your indicator (turn signal)) to make a left turn would set the cruise at the current speed level. Quick flick means go to the last set speed. Right turn actionon the stalk would coast (release) the cruise control as long as the stalk is held there. Applying brake, will release the cruise.

Salim
Old 05-02-05, 05:30 AM
Tanveer
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks

Thanks for all your inputs. I have already changed the gas station and finding better performance.
I could not find the cruise control yet. My be my model only has cruise information on the LCD display!
Regards.

Tanveer.
Old 05-02-05, 09:39 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The cruise control is on a stick right on the steering column, at the lower right side.

The 2.4L 4-cylinder Toyota Harrier does not come with cruise control standard. Is your Harrier a 4-banger?