RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Got myself into some trouble..

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-05, 11:31 PM
GOT LEXUS?
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Got myself into some trouble..

Well, after work today my boss was about to go home but he forgot something and came and parked right next to me and his brakes were squeeling like no other. so i asked him if he had ever gotten his brake pads changed.. and he just had this confused look on his face like..what the eff is this kid talking about?!?? so i explained it to him and he says that he has NEVER gotten his pads replaced..ony ANY of his cars. Well, he drives a '99 RX300 and it's at 100k+ miles. Then he asked if i knew how to replace brake pads.. and thinking of my '87 sentra and how i used to replace my pads with my dad..i said yes. Then he asked if i knew how to replace his pads.. and for SOME REASON i said yes ..though i really have no clue how to do it ... And yes i know i know..this is a very simple procedure but i've never done it alone before.

Well, i've got until saturday (today is wednesday) to learn how to replace brake pads on a RX300. So here's my question.. what tools will i need? what pads? and...HOW THE FUDGE DO I DO THIS?????

yea..i pretty much need a complete tutorial on how to replaces the pads on a RX300 possibly with some pictures and stuff.. I did find this link..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...nge+brake+pads

but yea..i need one EVEN MORE thourough than that...Anyways, if anyone can help me... you save my butt... thanks.

I own a '99 Solara, would they be similar? again.. i've NEVER done this alone..just kinda watched.. (im only 16) Thanks guys.
Old 05-11-05, 11:43 PM
GOT LEXUS?
Driver School Candidate

well, i guess that link is as thourough as it gets? but uh..there arent any fancy lexus stuff that i'll run into is there? like some sensors or what not?
Old 05-12-05, 12:50 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Just tell him Hey, with 100K on your car those rotors are going to need turned and putting new pads on there is a waste and do more harm---take it to Midas or Lexus dealer and have them do it, Period!!!! Problem solved and its not lieing. I wouldnt do it!

Probably never changed his oil either---car needs some help and luvin
Old 05-12-05, 12:59 AM
GOT LEXUS?
Driver School Candidate

really? would it be truly better to just leave em then?
Old 05-12-05, 01:43 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

With 100K on the pads, chances are very likely the rotors have more grooves than a 45 record. Modern sliding caliper brakes are so easy to service, 2 sliding pins hold the caliper to the torque plate, 2 bolts hold the assemmbly on the backing plate, and 2 screws secure the rotor to the hub.

Take what you know from the Solara and use it here, it's no different. Just DOUBLE CHECK your work. Use OEM Toyota rotors and pads, the pads are Lexus-specific, and I assume the Highlander rotors might work.
Old 05-12-05, 05:58 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Booyah
Just tell him Hey, with 100K on your car those rotors are going to need turned and putting new pads on there is a waste and do more harm---take it to Midas or Lexus dealer and have them do it, Period!!!! Problem solved and its not lieing. I wouldnt do it!

Probably never changed his oil either---car needs some help and luvin
Two very good points!

At 100K, there may well be more than pads required. If those brake wear indicators have been squealing for any time at all, the rotors may be scored and require turning. You can inspect them through the wheel - look for significant concentric grooves on each rotor. Show your boss. A regular brake shop has the proper tools and is (usually) equipped to turn the rotors.

For more info, check out http://rx300how2.home.comcast.net/ for more DIY tips on the RX 300. There you will find a link (Brakes) back to CL and salimshah's excellent post on the step-by-step procedure.

While you are inspecting the rotors, also look for an oil change sticker - usually affixed to the top of the driver's side of the windshield (inside). Booyah's right, if this guys so clueless about his brakes, he may well have neglected the oil too!
Old 05-12-05, 08:22 AM
WhiteTiger
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lil4X
While you are inspecting the rotors, also look for an oil change sticker - usually affixed to the top of the driver's side of the windshield (inside). Booyah's right, if this guys so clueless about his brakes, he may well have neglected the oil too!
A quick pull of the dipstick might yield some interesting items as well. See what the oil looks like and for that matter check the transmission fluid too.

You'd think the guy would notice the wear in his brakes (i.e decrease stopping ability) after about 70K..
Old 05-12-05, 10:00 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With today's job market, one can feel compelled to do things for the boss.

Lexus brake isn't all that different. If you can work on Sentra with your dad, you can probably do it. Or take it to Toyota and Lexus and foot the bill yourself.

Or be honest and tell the truth. And start typing your resume.
Old 05-12-05, 10:00 AM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

I would just tell him that after doing some research, its best for him to take in his RX to the dealer to get it serviced himself.

If I was in your position I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing I worked on someones brakes and didn't know exactly what I was doing, even though its an "easy procedure."

If you are questioning your own abilities, then be responsible and retract you offer.
Old 05-12-05, 11:37 AM
GOT LEXUS?
Driver School Candidate

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...nge+brake+pads

is that pretty muc how its done? but what does he mean by the "clips?"
Old 05-12-05, 04:56 PM
salimshah

Received 1,075 Likes on 968 Posts

Check if the scope of work is within your capability (I guess that is why you posted the question)

Technically it is do-able, if you have done at least one brake pad replacement before. Check the other similar discussion that have happened ... recent theread .

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=143868

There is a reference to step by step procedure. Take note of the disclaimer.

Check if there are groves/pitting on the rotor as that is a sign that the rotors either need replacement or machining. If so take this oppertunity and bail OUT.

My heart-felt advice will be to weasel out ..
Altough the potential of a doing a good job is there, the consequences of a mediocre or bad job are far worse. I try to do the work for myself, my family or close friend(s) only. The most I would do is "help" where the other person is actively involved. Once you do this for your boss, you are indirectly working for compensation. IMHO, your boss showed poor judgment and you are on down-hill slippry slope.

I do wish you the best, but any other advice [wanted/or unwanted ] would not be from my heart.

Salim
Old 05-12-05, 05:43 PM
mhc0725
Driver

Talking Do ya like the guy?

Take the previous people's advise and just get out of it. No good is going to come out of this, one way or the other. Like other's have said, if he hasn't done anything for 100K and it was squeeling as bad as you said, the rotors are probably shot too.

If you DON'T like your boss, then fix the thing. Try to get yourself included on his life insurance as a beneficiary, hope your job sucks and you collect on the insurance if he should have an unfortunate accident.

Just kidding of course. I've changed the pads on my '99 and there's nothing to it. No special sensors or wires to play with. Just pop the wheel off. Remove the two retaining bolts behind the caliper. Pull the caliper off gently and hang it with a coat hanger or something. Remove the pads, replace the pads. Put the caliper back on. Put the bolts back on. Tires on... you're set. See ya Monday morning boss.

Good luck. Hope he's not a jerk.
Old 05-12-05, 10:02 PM
molarband
Driver School Candidate

I would not go near his brakes with a 10 foot pole. It is a no win situation for you. If you screw up and he gets into an accident, you will be out of a job and he will probably sue your ***.

Tell the cheapskate to just take his car into the dealer and get his brakes changed. I am sure changing your boss's brakes is not in your job description. If he fires you for that, you will have a nice case against him in court.
Old 05-12-05, 10:39 PM
GOT LEXUS?
Driver School Candidate

well, i think im gonna do it.. I've seen my dad replace the pads on our cars quite a few times..i just wanted to make sure i didnt always miss something. By the sound of it.. i haven't.

Correct me if im wrong:
1. get the tire off.
2. two bolts behind the caliper holding it together.
3.unscrew em and hand the caliper on something.
4. remove pads.
5. lube the pads.
6. put pads back on.
7. get a clamp and a piece of would (my dad always uses a screw driver lol) and get the ?piston? back in (as well as open the brake fluid resevoir and placing a rag there).
8. fit the caliper back into place over the pads.
9. bolt the caliper back on.
10. get the wheel back on.
11. then ask for a raise?

did i miss anything? thanks for all the help guys. you guys are really helpful. maybe i shoulda bought a lexus =D too bad i couldnt afford it...
Old 05-13-05, 12:02 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GOT LEXUS?
well, i think im gonna do it.. I've seen my dad replace the pads on our cars quite a few times..i just wanted to make sure i didnt always miss something. By the sound of it.. i haven't.

Correct me if im wrong:
1. get the tire off.
2. two bolts behind the caliper holding it together.
3.unscrew em and hand the caliper on something.
4. remove pads.
5. lube the pads.
6. put pads back on.
7. get a clamp and a piece of would (my dad always uses a screw driver lol) and get the ?piston? back in (as well as open the brake fluid resevoir and placing a rag there).
8. fit the caliper back into place over the pads.
9. bolt the caliper back on.
10. get the wheel back on.
11. then ask for a raise?

did i miss anything? thanks for all the help guys. you guys are really helpful. maybe i shoulda bought a lexus =D too bad i couldnt afford it...
that's the quick and dirty way to do it. What I do is also clean the caliper and disc, lube the sliding surfaces and slider pins with Sil-Glyde, and clean off the shims and either apply Sil-Glyde or some kind of brake grease. You need new pads too, and possibly new rotors.

Quick Reply: Got myself into some trouble..