RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models
View Poll Results: What sex is the driver of your RX?
Male
46.90%
Female
53.10%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

What sex is the driver of your RX?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-05, 07:16 PM
jfarber
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to the voting more men than women drive the RX, so far. SUV's are definately more for men. Plus, most of the RX's I see here in Chicago are driven by men. I just found it weird that so many people on the forum talk about their wife's RX.
Old 05-23-05, 09:16 PM
susie q
Driver School Candidate

Here's my $0.02 as a female driver. I'm waiting for my 400h to come in soon (weeks I'm told ; waiting is soooo hard) My current ride is a 96 Acura Integra I bought during residency. This will be my first Lexus (and SUV) purchase. I test drove(and borrowed from friends) the X3 and X5, Acura MDX, MB ML350 and ML500, Porsche Cayenne in addition to the RX330. My needs are simple: I want a crossover SUV so I don't have to fight the car to drive it but allows me to haul my bike, inline skates and gear and groceries all at once. I need to feel safe driving it; size matters, but also the telescoping steering wheel and adjustable seats let me reach the pedals (I'm only 5 ft) without having the steering wheel in my chest. My predominant "city driving" made the hybrid the "better"(less guilt) choice for SUV. I don't have kids, I don't need the 3rd row seating. Finally, there's enough "bling bling"-- heated leather seats, power hatch, ML stereo system to make me happy.
My dealer said that Lexus did try to go after the female market with promotional events tied in with spa day freebies. (Where was I?!)
Old 05-24-05, 08:13 AM
rx300mm
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I totally agree with "lexuslover" and "susie_q" posts, all my wife's friends drive SUVs, some of them were mini-van drivers before. What they like about SUVs is safety, the height/vision and the power.. i.e rx300, highlander, x5, ML, others too . For last few years I have noticed more and more women drivers behind SUV, switching from mini-vans (in Toronto), don't get me wrong women also like/enjoy driving smaller/faster cars..
Having tested/driven most of them, I must admit the Rx & Highlander have really good drive (and Rx has the looks too).
Old 05-26-05, 02:48 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jfarber
According to the voting more men than women drive the RX, so far. SUV's are definately more for men. Plus, most of the RX's I see here in Chicago are driven by men. I just found it weird that so many people on the forum talk about their wife's RX.
don't forget you are polling on a male-dominated forum,, so your results will be skewed as such!

just went to the mall for lunch, and there were at 4 RX330's (mine included) looking for spaces, all women. i guess that result is skewed too, since women are more likely to be at the mall...
Old 05-29-05, 09:14 PM
garysayuri
9th Gear

my wife drives the rx 330. it is a very nice car, but i dont enjoy driving it too much. i drive it once in a while, but imho it is a woman's car.
Old 05-29-05, 09:22 PM
LexFather

Well a couple things.
1. Women's buying power has never been better. So they can buy these SUVs and treat themselves.
2. From my understanding, I do believe 60% of RXs sold are to women.
3. SUVs/Trucks make up more sales than cars today, unheard of 10 years ago.

My mother drives a RX but if I needed a 35-50k SUV and didn't plan to go off-road, I'd get the RX in a minute. I have enough confidence to not worry what other people think. However, I do agree, "image" does play a role in a vehicles purchase. The RX is simple, its the BEST SUV in its price range and one of the best period. So to me it's not feminine, its THE BEST.

Old 05-30-05, 05:30 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The RX is simple, its the BEST SUV in its price range and one of the best period. So to me it's not feminine, its THE BEST.
Perfectly stated.
Old 05-31-05, 09:49 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well said, 1SICKLEX.

I think that I said this long ago..... If a man doesn't feel secured about his manhood, he's going to feel like a sissy no matter what he drives.
Old 06-01-05, 09:01 AM
rx300mm
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

HarrierAWD .. totally agree with you !
Old 06-01-05, 09:21 AM
Leatherseats.com
Former Vendor

To me the RX is a very pretty SUV, but its not very masculine at all to me. My shop is in a very wealthy area of our city and there are a lot of Mercedes and Lexus owners. Almost all the RX's and ML's you see are driven by women. There are a few that drive some X5's, but as far as the RX I dont really see any men in them. Mainly I see the guys in the X5 or Cayenne and some Escalades.

Jeremy
Old 06-02-05, 10:58 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I remember this old British TV commercial. It was a mock TV contest game show. Where a woman looked at each man's "manhood" and tried to figure out what vehicle he drove.

The woman correctly guessed that one man drove Porsche 911, and another short man drove Lamborghini Testarosa,.... yet the man with the most confident look on his face drove a Mini. You get the idea.
Old 06-11-05, 06:48 AM
WDNL
Driver School Candidate

Smile RX 330 - the Girly-Man car

I told my wife we would never own an RX330 (I don't care for the styling) ... Next Friday we are picking up a brand new RX 330 ... Guess that shows who wears the pants in our familly! I had to eat a little crow with my buddies and the yet unowned vehicle has been labeled as a Girly-Man car (thanks Arnold!) ....
Old 06-14-05, 12:41 AM
Jimbo2828
Pole Position

im a guy and i use to drive an RX but i sold it. really miss it though
Old 06-19-05, 10:29 PM
RastaForI
Driver School Candidate

Default I'm a guy and never really thought about it.

The driver makes the car, not the other way around.
Old 06-28-05, 11:36 AM
mmahamm
Driver

Originally Posted by jfarber
I can't believe so many women drive the RX. It's not like it's a Jetta, Civic or mini SUV. I think it's a very masculine looking SUV.
I disagree. I always thought it was kind of girly-looking, especially in white (which my wife had). In fact, at first, I was a little uncomfortable being seen driving it.

I have gotten over that, but I still think it's a girly-looking vehicle.

Quick Reply: What sex is the driver of your RX?