RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models
View Poll Results: What sex is the driver of your RX?
Male
46.90%
Female
53.10%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

What sex is the driver of your RX?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-05, 11:22 AM
Enigma869
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jfarber
That's one of the stupidest comments I've ever read.

Sorry the comment seems so "stupid" to you! It's simply the truth! For the record, I am 6'4" and the RX simply isn't built for anyone that tall! There is zero leg room and I wouldn't take one if you gave it to me for free! Sorry if that's offensive to you...It's simply one man's opinion! As I said earlier, it's the "Soccer Mom" vehicle of the new milennium, so men shouldn't be driving the ugly thing anyway

John from Boston
Old 11-02-05, 11:42 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you may not find the RX masculine enough, but it's NOT ugly!

and i don't remember the last time i saw a man in an LX even. around my area 90% of SUVs are driven by women. like i said on Pg 1, SUVs have become popular with women not only because of kid space, but also dogs, shopping, junk, etc.

it's really not about masculine vs. feminine. it's about utility and space. it is easier to load/unload kids, groceries, and junk from SUVs than sedans. and you can fit large items in the trunk instead of risk ruining the back seat.
Old 11-02-05, 04:22 PM
Enigma869
Driver

Originally Posted by lexuslover
you may not find the RX masculine enough, but it's NOT ugly!

and i don't remember the last time i saw a man in an LX even. around my area 90% of SUVs are driven by women.

Two key points...First and foremost, "ugly" is a matter of opinion. I'm actually not overly thrilled with the look of many of Lexus' automobiles. I've always believed Lexus probably makes the best car on the road...I just don't care for the aesthetics of most Lexus vehicles. My perfect automobile would be Mercedes styling with Lexus reliability! On to your other point...Your observation on SUV's is GREATLY skewed based on the fact that your perspective is from California! The only time you people see ice on the left coast is in your cocktails! I can assure you that SUV's are much more widely driven here in the northeast for their "utility", hence the term "Sport Utility Vehicle". In the event people on the west coast aren't aware of this...there is something here on the east coast that is cold, white, and icy for 5 months of the year...It's called SNOW! This is a big reason that ownership of SUV's has nothing to do with what gender you are if you live in an area of the country that actually has a winter!

John from BOSTON!
Old 11-05-05, 07:02 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My dad drives the '06 RX330.
Old 11-05-05, 11:44 AM
Kits73
Rookie

We purchased an RX for my wife and I only get to drive it on the weekends. We live in Chicago and it's icy at least 5 months a year. She would have been happy with a car but for my piece of mind, I insisted that she drive an RX just for the safety benefits during winter driving. Driving the RX in the snow gives me piece of mind knowing that my wife comes home safe after a snowstorn. I wouldnt say that the RX is a chick car. Many husbands prefer to buy their wives an RX or an SUV because of it's safety and reliability..
Old 11-13-05, 06:32 AM
nopcbs
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Huh?

I can't believe so many women drive the RX. It's not like it's a Jetta, Civic or mini SUV. I think it's a very masculine looking SUV.
You're kidding, right? The RX styling is VERY lady-like. You want masculine styling, go look at the truck-based Lexus SUV's or an ML350 or a Jeep.

This is not bad, it's just that Toyota knew who they were selling to.
Old 11-13-05, 06:40 AM
nopcbs
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Those Yukons

Originally Posted by lexuslover
i think what mikey is trying to point out that many SUVs have become "soccer mom" cars b/c of the kids. i am female, and i love the RX, drive it more than my husband. it's very utility-like, groceries, kids, shopping, dogs, etc. masculine-shaped, yes, but still very sexy. MUCH better looking than the MB ML or some of the other boxes out there. and it's comfortable, which is a huge plus for women. i've driven X5's and Range Rovers, and those things are beasts - they are huge and higher up and not as easy to park.

i don't have kids (yet), but the RX is great for every day type of use. it's not that big compared to other things out there, and it's built off a car platform, so it's easier to get into than many other SUVs. in any case, i see many moms in my neighborhood driving 8-seater Yukon Denalis, Escalade ESV's, and tons of Sequoias. those are very manly trucks, and i don't see many men driving them.
I'd bet a lot of those ladies are driving Yukons, etc. because the wife wanted something with room NOT a minivan and the husband did not want a soft SUV (maybe there is something big to tow), so they compromised. My wife loves her RX330, would not hear of getting a minivan (what I wanted for the practicality of the things) because of the bad image they have and she really liked our Yukon XL (as a passenger, she never drove it). The RX is without question a chick car substitite for the hated minivan. What guy would buy an SUV with a power rear hatch, after all?

Lexus was briliant in their design of it.. They know their target audience and it is the ladies.
Old 11-13-05, 07:53 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Enigma869
Sorry the comment seems so "stupid" to you! It's simply the truth! For the record, I am 6'4" and the RX simply isn't built for anyone that tall! There is zero leg room and I wouldn't take one if you gave it to me for free! Sorry if that's offensive to you...It's simply one man's opinion! As I said earlier, it's the "Soccer Mom" vehicle of the new milennium, so men shouldn't be driving the ugly thing anyway

John from Boston
I am 6'5 215 and yeah, its a lil short on legroom to me too and I can never get comfy in the seat, like the 300 as well and most all FWD cars or FWD based cars. THey just don't have the legroom like RWD cars, IMO.

The one car I remember having tons of room for a FWD car (legroom) was the original 1986 Legend.

Old 11-15-05, 08:39 AM
jfarber
Rookie

Originally Posted by nopcbs
I'd bet a lot of those ladies are driving Yukons, etc. because the wife wanted something with room NOT a minivan and the husband did not want a soft SUV (maybe there is something big to tow), so they compromised. My wife loves her RX330, would not hear of getting a minivan (what I wanted for the practicality of the things) because of the bad image they have and she really liked our Yukon XL (as a passenger, she never drove it). The RX is without question a chick car substitite for the hated minivan. What guy would buy an SUV with a power rear hatch, after all?

Lexus was briliant in their design of it.. They know their target audience and it is the ladies.
You're a douche bag nopcbs. They RX was not designed for a women, just like 99% to 100% of the cars made are not designed for either sex. Your comments are stupid and you should quit the forum.
Old 12-13-05, 01:46 PM
ph_RX330
Rookie

i think color has somethin' to do with it as well... darker more male like

i think
Old 12-22-05, 03:33 PM
SixEcho
Driver School Candidate

def a girls car. We have a rx400, I end up driving it a lot, since my car is in the garage sleeping for the winter.

Last edited by SixEcho; 12-22-05 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-28-05, 12:09 AM
Sv.Tequila
Driver

Default Nice, but...

It's nice and all, but, it's a cross-over looking SUV which I personally see more women driving then men! I really like it and would consider buying it! The GX is totally is female SUV on the other hand! I'd just have it all black, with some 22's on it!
Old 01-06-06, 08:15 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My wife drives the Rx fulltime.

I have no issues driving the Rx on weekends despite having a V8 BMW at my disposal. Also don't think there is such a thing as a "chick car" , unless of course its a pink convertable vw bug or miata... Here come all the miata bashers....

Note emphasis on PINK not the VW or Miata...

Give me a quality reliable fun to drive car and I will drive it any day of the week, regardless of body style or make or model...

BTW, last time I checked the results of the survey, it was Male 45.83% , female 54.17%
Sounds pretty equal to me folks!

My $.02, keep the change!

Would you call Ferrari a chick car?
Attached Images  

Last edited by Fern; 01-06-06 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-14-06, 09:42 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,253 Likes on 1,367 Posts

You're a douche bag nopcbs. They RX was not designed for a women, just like 99% to 100% of the cars made are not designed for either sex. Your comments are stupid and you should quit the forum.

This thread is closed because of comments like this.

jfarber, insults like this are clearly against the forum rules you agreed to when you joined our forum. They do not foster a sense of community and are not welcome here.

I will help you quit the forum if you continue to make them.