RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Installed a new starter and still clicking....Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-05, 04:05 PM
wckd2022
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed a new starter and still clicking....Help

I just recently swaped out my starter with a new one and the rapid clicking noise hasn't gone away.....Seems like the teeth is not align....Help...Thanks...
Old 06-21-05, 07:56 PM
salimshah

Received 1,086 Likes on 977 Posts

I assume when you say clicking, you are not hearing the starter spin (teeth not engaging would happen if the starter spins but the engine is not turned over). Clicking noise alone is due to not enough juice from the battery. Check battery condition, terminals, cable and connections. One more possibility is that the solonoid relay is not working [If you changed the starter, did you change the solonoid as well.]

Unlikely but a possibility that the starter is unable to turn the engine over ... but then the teeth will be engaged.

Salim
Old 06-26-05, 10:37 PM
wckd2022
Driver School Candidate

The car starts but every morning when I start the car, there's a grinding ( like the grooves are not aligned correctly). This only happens in the morning....But, when I shut down the car and restart it, the grinding is gone. Any opinion guys?.....
Old 06-27-05, 06:18 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by wckd2022
The car starts but every morning when I start the car, there's a grinding ( like the grooves are not aligned correctly). This only happens in the morning....But, when I shut down the car and restart it, the grinding is gone. Any opinion guys?.....
Here is an opinion:

If the teeth grinding noise is heard during starter being engaged, I would reccomend remove the starter and examine the teeth of the strater gear as well as peek to see what is/has happened ot the flywheel.

The grind pattern on the gear will give you a good story. If the front (far edge) of the starter pinion are messed up, the possible cause is that the solonid is not pushing (pull + leverage action) the pinion far enough. I cant say for RX starter for sure but in other starters the fulcrum is eccentric and after relasing a locking nut, the center can be moved by a screwdriver to provide less or more throw.

Sometimes the starter is not attached corretly and that causes a problem as well. I think the times when spacer-shims were added have gone away due to more precise manufacturing tolerances. But double check.

Also look for stuff in the cavity ... a dropped washer etc.

Last of all you may have to investigate if the starter you got was a true replacement. Diameter and number of teeth on the pinion.

A dissasembly is required. You dont want to prolong and mess up the flywheel.

Salim
Old 06-27-05, 09:18 AM
wckd2022
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Salim....I'll give it a try....I will keep you updated....
Old 07-06-05, 10:33 AM
wckd2022
Driver School Candidate

I bought a defective starter....Over the Fourth of July weekend, I went out and got a new starter and the grinding/clicking noise went away...Thanks Salim for your input....
Old 07-06-05, 06:09 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by wckd2022
I bought a defective starter....Over the Fourth of July weekend, I went out and got a new starter and the grinding/clicking noise went away...Thanks Salim for your input....
I am glad things worked out for you. This is what I love about this forum. You get to share your experinces, and all the while things take their own course. There was hardly any thing that I stated direclty helped you. BUT you have a working RX.

Salim