RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Updating the DVD?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-01, 09:39 AM
dzar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Anyone out there know what the most recent version of the DVD nav. system is and where once can obtain the latest DVD? My dealer seems to not know how to evenspell DVD

Dave
(with 18 hour old 2001 RX300)
Old 07-02-01, 10:54 AM
vicpai
Pole Position

Originally posted by dzar
Anyone out there know what the most recent version of the DVD nav. system is and where once can obtain the latest DVD? My dealer seems to not know how to evenspell DVD

Dave
(with 18 hour old 2001 RX300)
I definitely know what you're talking about.....I've run into dealers and salespeople just like that ....anyways, to answer your question, Lexus of Cerritos here in Southern California (excellent service and great knowledgeable people) told me that the latest version of the DVD for the Navi will be out sometime this July or August and most likely they will address some of the shortcomings (that is the extremely incomplete "Point-of-interest" database - compared with the Acura Navigation system). However, the Lexus coverage of street level detail for the ENTIRE UNITED STATES is second to none.... It's the absolute best and Acura's unit cannot even come close to matching it.
Old 07-10-01, 01:21 PM
GS430_4Me
Rookie

I just talked with parts department at two SE Michigan dealers. Neither knew when update is coming.

A 'Factory Rep.' was at one of the dealers & said that they do not plan any future updates. I showed him pg. 42 of my GS 430 owners manual which indicates annual update ... shrug was the response.
Old 07-10-01, 01:28 PM
dzar
Driver School Candidate

Default No updates...

Yes, I've also heard people say that no updates are planned. If this is the case, Lexus (Toyota) should be ashamed and should refund the money for everyone who bought the DVD-based system. These things are out-of-date the minute theny ship. At least annual updates should be required and expected. I for one will send this up the Japanese flagpole if necessary.

Acura got this one right; I can order a DVD from their website about every 12 months. You know, Cadillac does the same and they also use a Denso system (like our Lexi...)

Yep... I'm mad if they never update it but I'm even more upset that nobody seems to know (or admit) to the real situation. Like I said, before, my dealer can't even spell DVD.

Dave
Old 07-11-01, 02:36 PM
navigator
Driver School Candidate

Default updates

dont worry kids...there will certianly be updates. Figure annually around model changes.
Old 07-11-01, 03:02 PM
GS430_4Me
Rookie

Navigator,

Can you tell us on what you base your optimism?
Old 07-11-01, 04:04 PM
vicpai
Pole Position

Wink Dont worry...be Happy!!

Yes, I've also heard people say that no updates are planned. If this is the case, Lexus (Toyota) should be ashamed and should refund the money for everyone who bought the DVD-based system. These things are out-of-date the minute theny ship. At least annual updates should be required and expected. I for one will send this up the Japanese flagpole if necessary.

Acura got this one right; I can order a DVD from their website about every 12 months. You know, Cadillac does the same and they also use a Denso system (like our Lexi...)

Yep... I'm mad if they never update it but I'm even more upset that nobody seems to know (or admit) to the real situation. Like I said, before, my dealer can't even spell DVD.

Dave

It is LITERALLY and PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE that there are not going to be any updated DVD software releases. It is the very nature of this system to be updated regularly....And why would the company not want to make an extra dollar by selling you the updates????. The persons you've talked to are GROSSLY MISINFORMED and have no clue what they're talking about.......Anyways I've confirmed with both a Supervisor at Lexus Customer Service and also Denso (the manufacturer) themselves that there will be a DVD release every year (either summer or fall) and the next one is due either July or August of 2001 - Businesses close, new ones open, streets change.....They've got to do it.
Old 07-11-01, 04:06 PM
navigator
Driver School Candidate

Default updates

Lexus introduced navigation systems in 1998 with a HD system. We were able to get updates each fall for that system. The DVD system was release last year for model year 01. I KNOW the next release will be fall 2001.

Old 07-12-01, 06:21 AM
GS430_4Me
Rookie

Thanks vicpai and navigator. It sounds encouraging.

I suggest that when any of us receives official word from Lexus that we post it here.

Since the origin of the data is not Lexus/Toyota, might it be to our advantage ($$ & Time) to deal directly with the source ... if we can identify it?
Old 07-12-01, 10:58 AM
vicpai
Pole Position

Talking The source revealed

Originally posted by GS430_4Me
Thanks vicpai and navigator. It sounds encouraging.

I suggest that when any of us receives official word from Lexus that we post it here.

Since the origin of the data is not Lexus/Toyota, might it be to our advantage ($$ & Time) to deal directly with the source ... if we can identify it?
I have been a Navigation System "buff" ever since they were introduced in automobiles, and besides, being a pilot have experience with GPS systems used widely in Aircraft. ......from all of this I must say that the first time I really saw a Navi system in a car that was worth anything, was when I bought my 2000 Acura 3.2TL with a DVD NAV system. I still maintain that this is the best unit out there. Ever since, I have researched this subject to death (see my posts in www.acuramdx.org - there is a wealth of info on Navi systems there). The reason I'm on this board now is because I decided not to buy the MDX because of reliability/quality issues and it also looks like an oversized Soccer-Mom bus.

Now that I've given a little background......to come to the point....NAVTECH is the supplier of the database to all current Navigation system manufacturers: Alpine/Acura, Denso, Phillips etc. NAVTECH's database is the only one that can be used because they are the only ones that have the digitally accurate maps (with all the attributes of a street - speed limits, u-turns, one-way, road geometry etc.). However, NAVTECH has only mapped metro areas to "street-level-detail" in addition to their Interstate and Highway coverage. While most manufacturers (including Acura) are limited to this coverage, Lexus (or Denso to be more specific) should be commended for taking this one step further by successfully merging the NAVTECH database with another company called GDT Technologies (for the unmapped areas- smaller towns and cities) to give a COMPLETE picture of the ENTIRE United States. This means for example: you could find 1234 Anywhere street in East cupcake, Iowa!!. The catch, however, is that in the Non-Navtech areas you will not have "turn-by-turn" voice directions - You just have to follow the arrow along the lines (which represent streets) to your destination.
Hope this info helps
Old 07-12-01, 11:12 AM
dzar
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, Vic, for your comments. Yes, I know about DENSO and NAVTECH but a lot of people do not. I have been round and round with DENSO (in broken English) about updates but they are an OEM and will not deal with lil'-ol'-me. They only deal with the big boys (Lexus/Toyota in this case).

As an aside, I, too, was looking at an MDX (on a waiting list and everything) but during that time kept looking around and bought my RX300 with NAV just three weeks ago. Bought it off the lot. No waiting! The whole idea of getting on a waiting list and hoping you might get something like what you want at some point that no one can pinpoint is obscene. Also the point I'm trying to get to on if somebody at Lexus would tell us what's the plan for DVD NAV updates! I just want data

I'm trying one other (so far secret) method for obtaining this information. I'll post in a day or two if it works (and how I did it!)

Regards,
Dave
Old 07-12-01, 05:44 PM
vicpai
Pole Position

Thumbs up

As an aside, I, too, was looking at an MDX (on a waiting list and everything) but during that time kept looking around and bought my RX300 with NAV just three weeks ago. Bought it off the lot. No waiting! The whole idea of getting on a waiting list and hoping you might get something like what you want at some point that no one can pinpoint is obscene.
GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!. I wish there were more people like you who would just not put up with the BS. Then Acura would learn the lesson they richly deserve. And Acura dealers are probably worse than Kia dealers . In my personal experience Acura/Honda corporate is the worst scum there ever is. They treat their customers like dirt and their callous attitude speaks volumes....I'm speaking from personal experience of having owned my 3.2TL and dealing with this scum. I swore up and down that I would never buy an Acura again. This is the reason Acura can NEVER attain the prestigous luxury brand image they so crave that Lexus has achieved. Unfortunately, as the saying goes "there is a sucker born every minute in the U.S.".......who waits for months on end and then buys the MDX for MSRP or over !!!!!. By sharp contrast my brother also bought an RX 300 with NAV (instead of waiting for an MDX) and was treated like a demi-god by Lexus....red carpet welcome and all....and I will be buying the "next-generation" RX 300 the moment it comes out
Old 07-26-01, 05:28 PM
dzar
Driver School Candidate

Anybody who still cares... This is from Lexus's web site in the FAQ section:

"At this time, Lexus plans to continue to provide new database information updates twice a year (spring and fall). Please contact your local Lexus dealer for further details."

I still cannot get anybody, dealer or otherwise, to give a straight answer on if a new DVD is (will be) available and when.

Sigh...

Dave