RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

fitting 8x4 in RX300?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-05, 07:25 AM
mmahamm
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
This just came to my mind.... Get a Chevy Express 1500 conversion van. No soccer mom image and you can design your own luxury interior. How's that?

If you are gonna do this once every few months, just rent a flatbed trailer or a Chrysler T&C and get it over with. Drive a Toyota Camry XLE for luxury interior and gas mileage.
Guess what. Soccer Moms don't buy minivans anymore. They don't want to have the Soccer Mom Image either. They are all buying Chevy Tahoes or Toyota Sequoias or Honda Pilots. None of those have the flexibility or fuel efficiency of a minivan.

Minivan enthusiast? Color me guilty. I just transported a 4x8 sheet of plywood in mine yesterday. And got 22 mpg doing it. Do that in an Escalade.
Old 07-05-05, 07:37 AM
mmahamm
Driver

Originally Posted by lexus_perf
The T&C minivan was an excellent idea, good mpg, could fit 8x4s, luxurious, room for 4+, but I ran it past some lady friends and they didn't like it so much. I got a image to maintain u know
Or you could get a T&C and get some new friends. Plus what other vehicle can you get yourself and six of your closest lady friends in?

Originally Posted by lexus_perf
suppose if i must i can get a flatbed but that defeats the purpose if i have to run home to get the trailer.
Actually, that makes the T&C, (or its image-impaired sibling, the Dodge Grand Caravan), and the Nissan Quest your only choices. No other vehicles allow you to put a 4x8 in it, and close the gate, without first running home to remove seats.
Old 07-05-05, 09:07 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Forgotten sibling

There is another option in the Chrysler stable, the Pacifica. Combining the attributes of a mommy-van with the less egregious appearance of an SUV, this vehicle may represent a new kind of crossover. Actually, despite a few teething problems and some initial shortage of motive power; the Pacifica is a lower-cost alternative to the RX. I looked at a Pac two years ago before opting for another RX, and the main problem I found with it is that when you optioned it up to RX levels, it was very close to the same price. The interior width would accept a 4 X 8 sheet of drywall, but the length may be a little short. You might want to measure it to be certain. For a hauler that could fit your needs and can be had for anywhere from $28K to $40K MSRP, you could do a lot worse.
Old 07-05-05, 11:47 AM
mmahamm
Driver

Originally Posted by Lil4X
There is another option in the Chrysler stable, the Pacifica. Combining the attributes of a mommy-van with the less egregious appearance of an SUV, this vehicle may represent a new kind of crossover. Actually, despite a few teething problems and some initial shortage of motive power; the Pacifica is a lower-cost alternative to the RX. I looked at a Pac two years ago before opting for another RX, and the main problem I found with it is that when you optioned it up to RX levels, it was very close to the same price. The interior width would accept a 4 X 8 sheet of drywall, but the length may be a little short. You might want to measure it to be certain. For a hauler that could fit your needs and can be had for anywhere from $28K to $40K MSRP, you could do a lot worse.
If you get one certified used, it's a bargain. I have heard only good things about it. Tried to get my wife to consider one when we bought our latest RX, but no dice. It is not long enough to handle all 8 feet of the plywood sheet. Those heated rear seats would be great, though.
Old 07-05-05, 05:47 PM
jayskinner
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lil4X
If you're gonna do that just get a Dodge Magnum with a HEMI and haul whatever the heck you want.