RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Popping noise with Auto temp control?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-01, 12:02 PM
Snowbound

Question

Picked up a new 2001 RX300 a couple weeks back and we love it! One question though: when the Auto temperature control is on, there is an occassional loud popping sound - like a relay, possibly the temp control rheostat? - every few minutes. With Auto temp control disengaged, the popping noise stops.

Is this normal? It's really loud, somewhat jarring with the excellent fit-n-finish of the rest of the vehicle. Just wondering if anybody else had the same experience before we bring the vehicle in for its 1000 mile check-up.

Thanks!
Old 06-28-01, 01:46 PM
LeXusBoy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont recall hearing anything like that maby a really soft noise...but then again I have good hearing ... I would have them check it out.
Old 06-29-01, 06:28 AM
Medic2012

Exclamation

I have a 2001 RX w/ Sunroof and hear a very similar sound. The sound seems to come only when the shade is "open". It sounds like a loud electrical pop, or like someone is blowing a bubble of chewing gum and allows it to burst. The "Auto" AC has always been on during these pops (90+ degrees out here for several days), but it has been on with the shade closed and I hear nothing. Anybody else experience this kind of problem?

I'm also approaching my 1000 mile checkup, so I'm concerned as well!
Old 06-29-01, 04:12 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

I hear the same sound with my sunroof opened. I figure it is just slight flexing sounds when the roof is opened. It isn't very loud though. As for the auto/temp I don't hear any noises from that.
Old 06-29-01, 06:22 PM
MikeK
Driver School Candidate

I too have a 2001 w/sunroof and the same described "popping" sound. I believe that it's a relay breaking, probably the thermostat. I'll check it again w/the top open (it's supposed to be 100. It stopped recently, I think...but then I haven't opened the roof. Glad to hear it's not just my problem.
Old 06-30-01, 08:22 PM
wooferbear
Driver School Candidate

Very interesting....I've had mine for a little over a month now - just had the 1000 mile checkup and told the Lexus guy about the same noises.

I thought it was comming from the radio.

He said others have reported it and it seems to be the sunroom. Didn't mention a relay. He said that the temperature variations can cause that noise as it heats up and cools down. I think he was referring to the trim around the sunroof.

The dealership has had this problem before - they put a felt lining in the places that it pops.

I'll probably have it done even though it's not that bad right now.

Other than that - and the cup holders, I love my RX!

Nathan
Old 07-13-01, 08:34 AM
Medic2012

Well, just got back from my 1000 mile check where I mentioned the "popping" sound from the area of the sunroof. Dealer said they were unable to find a problem, but being that the vehicle was in and out quickly, I doubt they did a lot of troubleshooting. My service consultant told me they have heard of this problem in at least one other 2001 RX and she thinks it has to do with the dome light behind the sunroof. She's going to check further with her resources and advised me to make sure I tell them about it at the next service when they have the vehicle longer and can drive it around to hear the sound multiple times.

She also asked me whether it was a single pop or a series of 2 or 3. I am getting a single pop, about every 5 minutes or so, sometimes more often. Is that what everyone else seems to get?

It is kind of frustrating that I cannot fully narrow it down. Now that I listen intently, I do hear the popping with the shade closed, but it is definately quieter with the shade drawn, so I would be inclined to believe it is the sunroof. Note that I only get this with the sunroof itself CLOSED -- the shade is either open (loud) or closed (quieter). I just wish you could "see" something jumping or moving or something to pinpoint it! Anyone been able to zoom in on it yet?
Old 07-13-01, 08:59 AM
ObiDon
Driver

I have heard this "pop" sound one or two times also, on my '01 but have not heard it for a month or two now. One thing about the sunroof is that if you open it past the first stop. all the way open, and drive with the windows closed you will get a buffering wind sound. This pop sound that I heard was not this, but it has not come back. I run the AC on auto with the recirculation mode on so I don't grab the fumes from other cars in traffic.
Old 07-13-01, 06:20 PM
MikeK
Driver School Candidate

Checked my '01 again the last several days as temps were in the 90's and I opened (tilted) the sunroof to assist in cooling down the car. While I drove with the sunroof tilted, I again heard a single pop about every 5 minutes. After closing the sunroof, I heard one muffled pop and then no more. I seriously doubt that it is metal or anything else of a mechanical/material nature expanding or contracting but rather a relay or switch breaking. Frankly, it is quite annoying but does go away or never appears if the sunroof remains closed.
Old 07-15-01, 01:16 PM
billyboy
Rookie

Default Popping noise

Listen and it actually sounds like a "snapping or "sparking noise". It apparently is units with sun roofs. My dealer tells me it is when the cold air hits the hot sun roof, could be "expansion" and if you pull the shade closed you won't hear it, notice it does it in the winter with heat hitting cold sun roof. They tell me nothing is wrong, can't fix it cause nothing is broke so I guess we have to live with it???
Old 07-15-01, 03:39 PM
ObiDon
Driver

No wonder I only heard it once in Houston, cold here is 75. It's 100 today, no problem.
Old 07-24-01, 01:07 PM
mikebyron

Default I get this also - new feature to my '00

I have had my '00 for 18 months. Just about 2 months ago this started. Did NOT notice it last summer. It does have a sound like heat expansion on some joint but it is soo loud.

Mine seems to come from all corners of the car but does seem to come from the headliner mostly. I thought my stereo was going nuts.

If anyone gets the fix to this please post. I was going crazy.
Old 07-25-01, 10:33 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Default TEST!

The popping noise is from the black trim on the sunroof glass. A technician needs to pop them all off and insulate them with a thin layer of felt. Then the noise will go away.

TEST - open your sunshade and gently twist/push/pull each piece of black trim. I'll bet you'll hear the pop noise when doing this!!!

I hate it when I'm right.