RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Will powertrain cover this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-05 | 03:04 PM
bored7one4
Driver School Candidate

Default Will powertrain cover this?

i had this problem twice since it got it, i went to the lexus dealer today and ask if they can fix the problem for me but they first have to determine if my problem is still covered under the power train warranty, and in order for them to do that is that i have to leave the car over night and a $110 dianostic fee. I heard they can upgrade the ECU computer chip that should fix the problem? has anyone got there chip upgraded yet? and does it really fix the problem?. i know something is wrong with my car because coming home from dinner i was driveing on the freeway at 80 mph and i notice that the RPM is at 5, which i think is very high right? Can anyone tell me if this is normal

My car is a 2000 rx300 awd. it has 67k miles on it. Man i just got this car and it giving me such a big headach already, im very disappointed with lexus for having this issue on a very expensive car like the RX.
Old 07-13-05 | 03:20 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

If the engine speed is at 5000 rpm at 80 mph, then it sounds like the car is not shifting into overdrive. Do you see an "O/D OFF" light on the dashboard? (There's an on/off switch on the shift lever.)

Also, the trans fluid needs to reach a certain temperature before the car will shift into overdrive. If you're going from the parking lot to the freeway immediately, then this might also be an issue. If this is the case, the engine should drop back to a normal speed after a couple of minutes when the overdrive kicks in.
Old 07-13-05 | 04:19 PM
bored7one4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rxdriver
If the engine speed is at 5000 rpm at 80 mph, then it sounds like the car is not shifting into overdrive. Do you see an "O/D OFF" light on the dashboard? (There's an on/off switch on the shift lever.)

Also, the trans fluid needs to reach a certain temperature before the car will shift into overdrive. If you're going from the parking lot to the freeway immediately, then this might also be an issue. If this is the case, the engine should drop back to a normal speed after a couple of minutes when the overdrive kicks in.
i always drive the with the O/D on and i was driving the car around town for a good 30min before i went on the freeway. i think driving 80mph with the RPM at 5 would quickly warm up the engine.

i've had this car for a week this problem seem that it could not be fix. the dealer i bought it from has a 30days or 1200 mile warranty. do you think it will be hard for me to return the car? if they will not take it, is there way i can complain about the car and get my money back or a new car? thanks

i heard there is a state board or something i can complain to is that true?
Old 07-14-05 | 09:42 AM
bored7one4
Driver School Candidate

Do you think they will be able to determine the problem using there diaonogstic at the dealer?
Old 07-14-05 | 06:14 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bored7one4
Do you think they will be able to determine the problem using there diaonogstic at the dealer?
there is a ecu update for that i belive. but i could be wrong. either that ur od shift sol is out
Old 07-15-05 | 09:36 AM
bored7one4
Driver School Candidate

well ill find out at tomorrow becuase im droping off the car at lexus dealer today at lunch and hopeful they can fix the problem and i dont have to return the car. I love this car it drives and feel great when the engine is not giving me problems.

well wish me luck and thanks for all your input.
Old 07-15-05 | 10:40 PM
joako
Driver

If there is an ECU update (Engine Control Unit, **NOT** TCM -- Transmission Control Module) update that should be done at no cost as there is a federally mandated emissions warranty up to 8 years or 80,000 miles which specifically cover the ECU and catalyst.

Otherwise it sounds like something in your transmission is bad, if it still has a powertrain warranty then that part should be replaced and you should not have to pay any diagnostics fee.
Old 07-18-05 | 08:18 AM
mmahamm
Driver

Did you buy the car from an independent dealer, or a Lexus dealer?

I have never heard of a 30 day 1200 mile warranty from a Lexus dealer.
Old 07-18-05 | 10:21 AM
bored7one4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mmahamm
Did you buy the car from an independent dealer, or a Lexus dealer?

I have never heard of a 30 day 1200 mile warranty from a Lexus dealer.
oh yea, that from the indepentdent dealer i bought it from.
Old 07-18-05 | 05:56 PM
Nutech
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bored7one4
oh yea, that from the indepentdent dealer i bought it from.
Maybe U got a Lemon . If they offer that take it back and get your money back. Get a CPO save you alot of headach. Is not cars fault maybe the pre owner never took care of it!
Old 07-19-05 | 10:04 AM
bored7one4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nutech
Maybe U got a Lemon . If they offer that take it back and get your money back. Get a CPO save you alot of headach. Is not cars fault maybe the pre owner never took care of it!
I dont think it a lemon, it just that car does not know what gear it is in. Other than that i love this car, well i just got my 06 sticker from the dmv so now at lunch time im droping off the car to lexus of westminster in california and have them look at it today. i drop it off before but becuase of expired tag they wouldn't look at it. ill keep you posted on this matter.