RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

An incredible experience at my lexus dealer regarding tranny replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-05, 02:21 PM
LexusSexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up An incredible experience at my lexus dealer regarding tranny replacement

Twice last month my transmission seemed to not be able to decide which gear to go into. My 99 RX has 67,000 miles on it. As my powertrain warranty approached expiration I was nervous that 100 miles out of warranty I'd need a ne wtranny. I took the car to my dealer and expressed my concern. I've had the short block and part of the front axle replaced under powertrain warranty there. They kept it overnight and gave me an 04 rx330 loaner. Next day they called to say they couldn't replicate the problem (it WAS intermittent) but since I was near warranty end they would replace it at no charge. I was AMAZED! They couldn't even find a problem but installed a new tranny. There was a delay in getting the parts so I ended up driving the loaner for a full 2 weeks.

So, as I near 70k both my engine and tranny are brand spankin new. I didn't expect these types of problems from a Lexus but now I'd find it hard to go with another make purely based on my service experience.

Lexus of Toledo ROCKS! (5 out of 5 golden thumbs!)
Old 07-15-05, 02:23 PM
LexusSexus
Driver School Candidate

Also worth noting that I can now drive 280 miles on a tank of gas and could only go 230-240 before. Sweet!
Old 07-15-05, 02:30 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusSexus
I didn't expect these types of problems from a Lexus but now I'd find it hard to go with another make purely based on my service experience.
Outstanding! It is experiences like yours that make loyal customers. It is always cheaper (in terms of marketing costs) to get a repeat customer than a new one. Lexus seems to be one of the few manufacturers that have discovered this. Great news!
Old 07-15-05, 04:38 PM
bored7one4
Driver School Candidate

Wow i have the same problem with my 00 RX300, it seem to not know what gear to go into and so i took it in for service at lunch time and will go back there after work. i too have around 67,000k mile on it. i hope i get the same result as you. Im in california and my car is at lexus of westminster.

ill keep you guys posted on my situation.

thanks
Old 07-15-05, 04:39 PM
bored7one4
Driver School Candidate

Twice last month my transmission seemed to not be able to decide which gear to go into. My 99 RX has 67,000 miles on it. As my powertrain warranty approached expiration I was nervous that 100 miles out of warranty I'd need a ne wtranny. I took the car to my dealer and expressed my concern. I've had the short block and part of the front axle replaced under powertrain warranty there. They kept it overnight and gave me an 04 rx330 loaner. Next day they called to say they couldn't replicate the problem (it WAS intermittent) but since I was near warranty end they would replace it at no charge. I was AMAZED! They couldn't even find a problem but installed a new tranny. There was a delay in getting the parts so I ended up driving the loaner for a full 2 weeks.

So, as I near 70k both my engine and tranny are brand spankin new. I didn't expect these types of problems from a Lexus but now I'd find it hard to go with another make purely based on my service experience.

Lexus of Toledo ROCKS! (5 out of 5 golden thumbs!)
hey can you describe what your car was doing ? my engine was reving very high like if it was stuck in 3rd gear. 80mph the RMP was at 5, did you have this problem.

thanks
Old 07-15-05, 05:00 PM
LexusSexus
Driver School Candidate

No high rpm's like that. Just acted like it couldn't decide which gear to shift into at times. They replaced the tranny solenoid a few months back but that didn't totally correct it. No problems now though, good luck with yours

I was kind of ready for a new car but now I feel obligated to keep it of course with new engine and tranny. Just relieved it was all under warranty. Was told engine would have been $7k and tranny $4k. This pricing sound right? Wow...
Old 07-17-05, 01:46 PM
minty99z
Pole Position

I am seeing a LOT of transmissions for RX300's getting replaced...They are weaker when you get up to the 60-100k Mile mark....
Old 07-17-05, 05:31 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Also worth noting that I can now drive 280 miles on a tank of gas and could only go 230-240 before. Sweet!
OMG, is that AWD or 2WD?? I can only get 230 miles on my 00 AWD.

What type of mainence did you do on your tranny up till then. Did you do Tranny flushes, or just drain/fill, curious if I am going to be in for some tranny problems soon, I have had it hunt for gears quite a bit lately (65,000 miles).

With the way Lexus stands behind their cars they have my family as customers for life.
Old 07-17-05, 08:12 PM
jazba
Rookie

That is really good to hear, expecially since im new to the lexus world. I recently bought a 01' rx300 still under warranty and all that. When you take the car to lexus, do they charge you a fee to look at it or is that all under the warranty. If someone could shed light on me about the warranty and how (well) it works i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 07-17-05, 08:36 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good service...and good timing on your part.
Old 07-20-05, 03:29 PM
LexusSexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by toy4two
OMG, is that AWD or 2WD?? I can only get 230 miles on my 00 AWD.

What type of mainence did you do on your tranny up till then. Did you do Tranny flushes, or just drain/fill, curious if I am going to be in for some tranny problems soon, I have had it hunt for gears quite a bit lately (65,000 miles).

With the way Lexus stands behind their cars they have my family as customers for life.
It's AWD. I was surprised too. I'll have to see what the next fill-up gets me.

I bought the car at 42,000 miles and did no tranny work. There does seem to be some history and my service manager told me that with the heat they are seeing some weird things with the older rx's. Be sure to get it checked out as you approach warranty end. Even just to get it documented that you were in.
Old 07-20-05, 03:31 PM
LexusSexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by arey kya
That is really good to hear, expecially since im new to the lexus world. I recently bought a 01' rx300 still under warranty and all that. When you take the car to lexus, do they charge you a fee to look at it or is that all under the warranty. If someone could shed light on me about the warranty and how (well) it works i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
I have been in for warranty work 3 times now and not a dime has left my pocket. of course all 3 visits have required work so not sure if diagnostic fees would have been charged had they done nothing.