RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

What need to be done for a major tune up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-05, 02:28 PM
bored7one4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What need to be done for a major tune up?

can anyone tell me what need to be done on a major tuneup and how much parts and labor gonna cost me? Can i do it myself?
Old 07-26-05, 07:26 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With modern engines, just change the spark plugs. Note the RX300's Iridium plugs can last 120,000 miles. The Iridium plugs cost about $6.50 (NGK) or $11 (Denso) each.

From what I heard, the rear 3 plugs are hard to get to. If you have a good collection of tools, it should not be an issue.
Old 07-26-05, 07:39 PM
salimshah

Received 1,073 Likes on 966 Posts

There is list of item that are addressed at each service interval (milage or time). Call the dealer service dept and they will list out the manufacturers reccomended and also the dealer reccomended items + driving condition/operating_environement based items. The most intensive one is at 90K miles. Which can be done by and avid DIY.

Tune-up is no longer a valid term to use (timing, idelling, fule-air ratios are not touched). Service is more appropriate. With the electronic timing + injection there is very little that needs tinkering and most of the service items are check or replace fluids or filters. Something a handy DIY can do provided (s)he is not worried about getting grease under the nails. Disposing of used fluids can be another hastle.

Maintainance records should be kept if go DIY, or take it to other_service_center. If you go the dealer route, this is done for you and can be retreived nation-wide. The dealer generally charges more, but gives you a loaner, lounge, service, car wash etc. It can be a lot pleasent experience (usually is at Lexus) as compared to an oil spill in your garage

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 07-26-05 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-31-05, 10:08 AM
ravengotu
Rookie

Default records

I just bought my 00 300 and the selling point was SERVICED by Lexus....so anyone can call service and give the VIN and it tells you what has been done and all kept on thier PC...worth a lot compared to DIY
Old 07-31-05, 02:40 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ravengotu
I just bought my 00 300 and the selling point was SERVICED by Lexus....so anyone can call service and give the VIN and it tells you what has been done and all kept on thier PC...worth a lot compared to DIY
Generally, no, maintenance data is not stored in a central database. All that Toyota/Lexus keeps in a nationwide database is records of warranty work done on the car. The dealer that does the work is the only one keeping detailed maintenance history. If that dealer is one of many owned by the same company, then all dealers in the group all might have access to it.

I was shocked when I found this out, because every time I've traded in a Lexus I've gotten a hard time about how "there is no record of DIY maintenance in the system." Well, there's no record of Lexus maintenance in "the system", either, unless you're a typical Lexus customer who is very loyal to one dealership.
Old 08-01-05, 08:31 AM
mmahamm
Driver

Originally Posted by ravengotu
I disagree. Even if it were the case that there was a "central" database of maintenance, if you buy from a private seller and that private seller has good maintenance records and receipts, you are doing just as well. And it's money that's still in your piggy bank.

Certified - that's another matter. If you buy a Lexus Certified vehicle, the coverages you get are very good to have, and it may be worth paying a little more, depending upon your situation.
Old 08-01-05, 10:51 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rxdriver
Generally, no, maintenance data is not stored in a central database. All that Toyota/Lexus keeps in a nationwide database is records of warranty work done on the car. The dealer that does the work is the only one keeping detailed maintenance history.
My limited experience conflicts with this. Lexus dealer in Florida easily looked up my last routine service up in Virginia using VIN number.
Old 08-01-05, 11:10 AM
bored7one4
Driver School Candidate

i agree lexus dealer i went to type in my vin # and told me what service the pervious owner had done to the car even if it wasn't at that lexus dealer i went to.
Old 08-01-05, 11:11 AM
bored7one4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
There is list of item that are addressed at each service interval (milage or time). Call the dealer service dept and they will list out the manufacturers reccomended and also the dealer reccomended items + driving condition/operating_environement based items. The most intensive one is at 90K miles. Which can be done by and avid DIY.

Tune-up is no longer a valid term to use (timing, idelling, fule-air ratios are not touched). Service is more appropriate. With the electronic timing + injection there is very little that needs tinkering and most of the service items are check or replace fluids or filters. Something a handy DIY can do provided (s)he is not worried about getting grease under the nails. Disposing of used fluids can be another hastle.

Maintainance records should be kept if go DIY, or take it to other_service_center. If you go the dealer route, this is done for you and can be retreived nation-wide. The dealer generally charges more, but gives you a loaner, lounge, service, car wash etc. It can be a lot pleasent experience (usually is at Lexus) as compared to an oil spill in your garage

Salim
can anyone tell me what is done in the 60k and the 90k service from lexus dealer.

thanks