RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Well, the 00 caught on fire tonight

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-05, 09:45 PM
Josh83
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well, the 00 caught on fire tonight

My wife calls me from the parking lot in front of my work and says "my car is making a funny noise". This is after the check engine light had come on. Well, I get out there and the catalytic converter from the rear bank of cylinders is glowing red so I tell her to shut it off. Just then I noticed a very faint blue flame coming from the top of the cat. I sent a friend after a fire extenguisher and put the fire out, apparently doing no damage to anything other than the cat. The car was put on a flat bed and towed 50ish miles to the neerest dealer. Incidentally, I feel that the check engine light was the O2 sensor throwing a clogged cat code, and the cat got so hot it just started to melt and the noise she heard was an exhaust leak from the hole in the cat. Has anyone seen or heard of this before? The car has 61,xxx on it right now. I'm hoping Lexus will cover the damage and the $200+ tow bill, since we wrote a check for the 05 last spring.
Old 07-29-05, 03:12 AM
cantsleepnk
Driver

Sorry to hear about your car.Lucky for you your friend found the fire extinguisher.

I've never heard of anything like this happening on an RX especially one with61K miles.
How long did your wife drive it with the check engine light on?
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but the emission system should be warranted for 8yrs/80k miles and that including the catalytic converter.

Maybe this is a lesson for all of us to keep a fire extinguisher in every car.
Old 07-29-05, 05:15 AM
mikevogel
Pole Position

sorry to hear about that was the car running good before all this happend un burnt fuel is traped in the catalytic converter and burns up if you run a car with a spark plug wire off the cat usually gets real hot
Old 07-29-05, 07:05 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

I replaced my cat here in Mexico with a Mangaflow highflow cat. This is the cat that goes before the resonator directly underneath the car as opposed to those two others in the engine compartment developed a bump from something I hit in the road. The old cat looked clean but the interior was warped from the bump. I was well over 80K.

Did a check of emissions at my local performance shop...no problems...would even pass down here in Mexico City with lower HCs than my original.

Cantsleepnk, you are right about the 8 year/80K. This a federal law...not something from Lexus.

In answer directly to your question, I have never heard of this happening on a Lexus...but it happens to plenty of other cars here in Mexico City. Sometimes I have seen this from sulfur accumulation (we have a high content in all grades of gas down here) and also when material from the front cats breaks off and clogs the cat before the resonator.
Old 07-29-05, 10:21 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default $40K to 0 in 90 seconds . . .

Originally Posted by cantsleepnk
Maybe this is a lesson for all of us to keep a fire extinguisher in every car.
Great point, CSP! I got in the habit from an old employer insisting that we carry an ABC extinguisher in company vehicles. As long as I've been carrying one since those days, I've never needed it myself, but have helped others put out small fires. It doesn't take but a minute or two for a tiny flame to become a roaring inferno.

Buy one for each of your cars, plus one for your kitchen. See if your local fire department offers training in its use. There is no point in having an extinguisher if you don't know how to use it and have experience with it. It is possible, through improper use, to make a small fire a big one.

A tip from professional firefighters: once the flames reach a tire, GET AWAY. A bursting tire is not only a blast hazard, it can fling burning rubber a surprising distance.
Old 07-29-05, 11:30 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

At my track, I often wondered why guys had like a bottle of water in their car (liter bottles). I thought it was for cooling, but it is actually because of the fire hazard. Though I do see plenty of vehicles with a fire extinguisher here.
Old 07-29-05, 05:26 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Wow I never have heard of a Lex catching fire. Even if it was the cat!

I'm glad everything turned out positive (damages/saftey)
Old 07-30-05, 07:11 PM
Josh83
Driver School Candidate

I spoke with the service manager today and the estimate to repair the car(all it needs according to them is new cats) is in excess of $3000. They recomended I contact my auto insurance co. and seek a claim due to fire damage. At that time I was unaware that the warrenty was 8/80, and was under the impression in was 5/60 so I will be contacting them and asking them about this, and if that is unsucsessful I will have my attorney contact their corporate office.
Old 07-31-05, 04:36 PM
cnynctry
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Josh83
I spoke with the service manager today and the estimate to repair the car(all it needs according to them is new cats) is in excess of $3000. They recomended I contact my auto insurance co. and seek a claim due to fire damage. At that time I was unaware that the warrenty was 8/80, and was under the impression in was 5/60 so I will be contacting them and asking them about this, and if that is unsucsessful I will have my attorney contact their corporate office.
Federal Emissions Warranty

The Federal Emissions Warranty guidelines are based on federal regulations and apply to vehicles in all 50 states. Vehicles are covered by two types of emissions control system warranty, "Emission Defect Warranty" and "Emissions Performance Warranty".

Depending on the state you live in, the Performance Warranty is for 3 years/50,000 miles. The Defect Warranty is generally consistent with the manufacturer's bumper-to-bumper warranty with certain parts (catalytic converter and electronic emissions controls (PCM) for up to 8 years/80,000 miles. Please refer to your owner's manual for your exact emissions warranty.
Old 08-02-05, 09:40 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Red face

Any new news Josh?
Old 08-05-05, 09:14 PM
Josh83
Driver School Candidate

I totally forgot to give an update here. We picked the car up Tuesday morning and all is well. Warrenty took car of both cats, all gaskets and fasteners and a new A/F sensor.
Old 08-05-05, 09:40 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Awesome! Glad to hear that! Keep enjoying your rides!