RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX300 is Great, but.......

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-01, 06:47 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The RX300 is an awesome car/truck, but when will Lexus fill in the gap of a real mid-size SUV (built on a Truck Platform), that isn't as large and costly as the LX.

I am talking about a mid-size LEXUS SUV that will compete against the Infiniti QX4, Acura MDX, Mercedes ML, all built on truck type platforms.

Or maybe the hybrid is the way to go, getting the best of both the truck and car worlds.

Did anyone ever hear about Lexus possibility souping up the Toyota 4runner to add to the Lexus Line with their own version?

A Lexus Mid-Size SUV would be sweet.
Old 07-08-01, 08:54 AM
Van Solo
Driver School Candidate

The Lexus RX300 is in the mid-size SUV sections. It may not look big as the QX4, ML, and MDX, but it is a mid-size. The RX300 may not be built from a truck, but it drives like an SUV. As for being built on a truck plateform, the MDX is not built from a truck plateform. It shares the same plateform from the Honda Accord. Just like the RX300 and Highlander. It shares its plateform from the Camry. Thou over all, I rather drive an RX300 over an MDX, 'cos the MDX doesn't look like a SUV, and the tail lights looks a copy form the Highlander.
Old 07-08-01, 09:09 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Van Solo
The Lexus RX300 is in the mid-size SUV sections. It may not look big as the QX4, ML, and MDX, but it is a mid-size. The RX300 may not be built from a truck, but it drives like an SUV. As for being built on a truck plateform, the MDX is not built from a truck plateform. It shares the same plateform from the Honda Accord. Just like the RX300 and Highlander. It shares its plateform from the Camry. Thou over all, I rather drive an RX300 over an MDX, 'cos the MDX doesn't look like a SUV, and the tail lights looks a copy form the Highlander.
The RX300 is not truly a Mid-Size SUV and it really doesn't matter, since most of us just drive it on the regular freeways and not off roading it all times.

By the way, the MDX is built off the Honda Odyssey Platrom, so it's still of a truck/minivan platform. It's not off the Accord platform, so it's not a car/truck hybrid at this moment.
Old 07-08-01, 11:13 AM
Van Solo
Driver School Candidate

The Odyssey is built off from the Accord's plateform.
Old 07-08-01, 12:29 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Van Solo
The Odyssey is built off from the Accord's plateform.
Just replying to say how can that be, since one is a minivan platform and the other is a car platform. But maybe you are right, I just don't get that one. The MDX does not ride like an Accord, like the RX rides like a camry. The MDX rides like a Odyssey Minivan.
Old 07-08-01, 05:44 PM
Van Solo
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by lexguynj

Just replying to say how can that be, since one is a minivan platform and the other is a car platform. But maybe you are right, I just don't get that one. The MDX does not ride like an Accord, like the RX rides like a camry. The MDX rides like a Odyssey Minivan.
Yes, like most of the cars these days they share the same plateform. RX300, ES300, Camry, Avalon, Sienna, Salora, and the Highlander share the same plateform for Toyota Comp. Accord, Odyssey, TL 3.2, CL 3.2, and MDX shares the same for Honda Com. Ford Escape, Mazda Tribute, 626, Millenia, and MPV are base on the 626's plateform for Mazda. There's more, but too much to list.
Old 07-08-01, 06:15 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

VW is big on the platform sharing with the Golf and Beetle and Chrysler has the neon based PT cruiser. This help keep the price down of platform sharing vehicles...usually.
Old 07-09-01, 07:32 AM
vicpai
Pole Position

Thumbs up

Originally posted by lexguynj
The RX300 is an awesome car/truck, but when will Lexus fill in the gap of a real mid-size SUV (built on a Truck Platform), that isn't as large and costly as the LX.

I am talking about a mid-size LEXUS SUV that will compete against the Infiniti QX4, Acura MDX, Mercedes ML, all built on truck type platforms.

Or maybe the hybrid is the way to go, getting the best of both the truck and car worlds.

Did anyone ever hear about Lexus possibility souping up the Toyota 4runner to add to the Lexus Line with their own version?

A Lexus Mid-Size SUV would be sweet.
It would be great if Lexus built a "moderate" SUV. By that I mean something not too car-like as the RX 300 and not too truck-like as the 4 Runner. If they introduced a "toned-down" version of the 4 Runner - that is: made it a unitized body and softened the suspension a bit and MOST IMPORTANTLY made sure the GROUND CLEARANCE was not as low as the RX 300 and added skid-plates to the 4WD version ( a-la-Toyota RAV4) it would be the perfect mid-size SUV with the best compromise for smooth freeway cruising or the occasional trip to the wilderness !!. ......like the LX 470 is a SOFTENED, more luxurious version of the Toyota Landcruiser
Old 07-09-01, 07:44 AM
vicpai
Pole Position

Exclamation

....just forgot to add to my previous post....
The lexus dealership that I talked with said that the dimensions of the next-generation RX 300 (due next fall) will remain at about the same as the current vehicle (GREAT NEWS FOR ME, SINCE I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT WANT AN OVERSIZED SOCCER-MOM BUS LIKE THE ACURA MDX). However, to cater to the "Soccer-Mom - bigger-is-better-mentality" crowd, he said Lexus is going to introduce (in the next couple of years) a vehicle along the lines of a Toyota Sequoia with 7 to 8 passenger capability to compete with the Acura MDX
Old 07-09-01, 11:38 PM
e1828
Driver School Candidate

Default Is there an updated RX300 due soon?

I anm new to this board and am contemplating purchasing an RX300, I was wondering if I should wait until the fall to purchase one. Will there be significant differences between the 2002 model when compared to the 2001 model? I know that the DVD nav system is an option on the 2001 whereas it was not available in the 2000 model. Or are there big changes planned for the RX300 next year (2002), model year 2003? Thanks and I hope to be an RX300 owner soon.
Old 07-10-01, 01:43 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by vicpai
he said Lexus is going to introduce (in the next couple of years) a vehicle along the lines of a Toyota Sequoia with 7 to 8 passenger capability to compete with the Acura MDX
the RX300 is already being compared to the MDX and yah the MDX might have its strengths considering it's a relatively new SUV while RX300 has been out for years. Sequoia cannot be compared to the MDX. Totally different size and other stuff. So I don't know where he's getting that info from.

Don't think they need a Sequoia SUV in the Lexus line. Don't need to fight the LX inside the family. And alot of times, dealerships don't have a clue as to how things are going to change and if any new cars are coming that are in the very early stage.
Old 07-10-01, 06:52 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

The Sequoia is meant to, eventually, Toyota's Land Cruiser. It has become very pricy and extremely similar to the LX in options. I look at one the other day, and fully loaded w/nav it is just over 62k - LX470 fully loaded w/nav and mark lev. is just over 67k. The best bet for the RX is for it to be slightly larger for '03. ...but no - the sequioa and MDX should not be considered competitors of similar class.
Old 07-10-01, 08:49 PM
TN3
Rookie

Hey new buyer, check out the Gallery under RX300, I posted some pics of the "2003 RX300". Those are only guesses but I think it'll look something like it.
Old 07-10-01, 09:44 PM
LeXusBoy
Lead Lap

Originally posted by TN3
Hey new buyer, check out the Gallery under RX300, I posted some pics of the "2003 RX300". Those are only guesses but I think it'll look something like it.
GOD ... I hope it dosnt look like that or I would gladly just keep my moms as my new (I can drive in 2003) car and just get it painted...that looks ugly (no offence to you)
Old 07-12-01, 08:46 AM
ObiDon
Driver

I have to agree that some of the pictures I have seen of the "next" RX make me glad I have my '01. When I was looking at SUVs, on my list was the Durango R/T, RX300, Highlander, MDX, and the Sequoia. The Durango R/T , before the downgraded the chip, was very fast, but about 10mpg, the Highlander looks to much like the Volvo wagon, and the MDX looks like a minivan. The Sequoia may be in our future when our '92 Previa goes away, (145,000) and still like it for trips, but for me the RX was the one that I ended up with, and I am very pleased with everything about it.

Quick Reply: RX300 is Great, but.......