RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Transmission Failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-05, 01:48 PM
minty99z
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tmuti13
I am so mad after reading that the dealerships are stocking up on these damn things. Here are the answers to all of your questions:

- bought the car used from a dealer
- had 64K when I bought it. all service records up to date, work done by lexus. didn't mention any tranny flushes.
- AWD, not sure about the cooler, I don't have a tow package.
- I've been draining and flushing the tranny every 10-15K miles after I got it.
- I drive alot, mostly highway for my job.
- first flush, the color was a purple-grayish color. after additional flushes, the fluid became more and more red.
- Toyota Type 4 fluid every flush.
- started shifting really hard on saturday morning and then saturday afternoon it just stopped engaging and the car wouldn't move
What did the history show at 15k, 30k, 45k and 60k? Also, do you have proof of all the work you did after you bought it transmission flush wise? If you have all these records, take the trans in and show them all the work was done. If they refuse to powertrain warranty the car(which they probably will warranty it, you would be SURPRISED), then call lexus headquarters and ***** and tell them you were very strict and followed the service manual and it should not break like that....Works every time. They care more about your next purchase then about a trans that is 4k with labor under warranty pay....
Old 09-12-05, 10:29 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by minty99z
Youre dealer is only going to be bigger for another 18 months
lol no dought by then 1 of 2 buildings will be acura
Old 09-12-05, 10:33 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

What did the history show at 15k, 30k, 45k and 60k? Also, do you have proof of all the work you did after you bought it transmission flush wise? If you have all these records, take the trans in and show them all the work was done. If they refuse to powertrain warranty the car(which they probably will warranty it, you would be SURPRISED), then call lexus headquarters and ***** and tell them you were very strict and followed the service manual and it should not break like that....Works every time. They care more about your next purchase then about a trans that is 4k with labor under warranty pay....
lol

sings *bob roar man is a good friend of mine* cant think of the rest of the words
Old 09-13-05, 02:20 PM
tmuti13
Driver School Candidate

spoke to my mechanic today and the transmission pump is what went up.
Old 09-13-05, 04:13 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,106 Likes on 995 Posts

Was there any thing you could have done different to extend the life of the pump?

Btw: Some mechanics frown on the idea of a flush and only reccomend drain and fill.

Salim
Old 09-14-05, 09:52 AM
minty99z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by salimshah
Was there any thing you could have done different to extend the life of the pump?

Btw: Some mechanics frown on the idea of a flush and only reccomend drain and fill.

Salim
Actually not only do some mechanics do this, but all of Lexus does.....we don't do any complete flushes period......
Old 09-14-05, 03:35 PM
81corolla
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tmuti13
spoke to my mechanic today and the transmission pump is what went up.
Please tell me the check engine light is supposed to go on when the trans. pump dies?

When a water pump dies, the engine temp. rises giving us *some* indication there's a problem.

And should an oil pump die, most cars have an oil pressure icon or gauge to indicate a problem.

But what about the trans. pump - if it dies, do we just drive it around until it seizes up?
What's an owner supposed to go on? Is there a maint. schedule for the trans. pump?
Old 09-14-05, 03:55 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually not only do some mechanics do this, but all of Lexus does.....we don't do any complete flushes period......
I am just trying to understand your comment. Are you saying you work for a Lexus dealer and you don't do transmission flushes and all of Lexus doesn't do them.
I have been doing a drain and fill every 30k and have been thinking about a flush at 90K but if I undersatnd your statement correctly I may just do another drain and fill.
Old 09-14-05, 05:36 PM
minty99z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikey00
I am just trying to understand your comment. Are you saying you work for a Lexus dealer and you don't do transmission flushes and all of Lexus doesn't do them.
I have been doing a drain and fill every 30k and have been thinking about a flush at 90K but if I undersatnd your statement correctly I may just do another drain and fill.
What I meant to say was ....Yes, I do work at a Lexus dealership. And Yes you read correctly ....we NEVER EVER EVER EVER do a complete flush PERIOD LOL
Drain and fill only at all intervals its required at.....
Old 09-14-05, 06:33 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

What I meant to say was ....Yes, I do work at a Lexus dealership.
I thought the owners manual (i.e., Lexus) doesn't recommend periodic drain and refill at a particular interval. Is that incorrect? What is the interval?
Old 09-14-05, 07:15 PM
minty99z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bob2200
I thought the owners manual (i.e., Lexus) doesn't recommend periodic drain and refill at a particular interval. Is that incorrect? What is the interval?
We do a drain and fill on ALL cars every 15k....
Old 09-14-05, 08:01 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,106 Likes on 995 Posts

What I meant to say was ....Yes, I do work at a Lexus dealership. And Yes you read correctly ....we NEVER EVER EVER EVER do a complete flush PERIOD LOL
Glad that you are on board . It is good to have a professional here ... among the few half azzed hobbiests. We will value your advice and keep it in mind that it is worth the money we pay you.

Not to hijack this thread, one of the predicaments the board members have consistantly faced is in striking a balance between dealer reccomended and manufacturer prescribed service.

To remain on topic, dealer suggests 15k for drain and refill the transmission fluid. I dont see that in the owner's manual.

Once again I am gald to see you here and hope you will stick around and share your professional wisdom. ... knowing we can not hold you responcible for the advice you give

Salim
Old 09-14-05, 08:35 PM
minty99z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by salimshah
Glad that you are on board . It is good to have a professional here ... among the few half azzed hobbiests. We will value your advice and keep it in mind that it is worth the money we pay you.

Not to hijack this thread, one of the predicaments the board members have consistantly faced is in striking a balance between dealer reccomended and manufacturer prescribed service.

To remain on topic, dealer suggests 15k for drain and refill the transmission fluid. I dont see that in the owner's manual.

Once again I am gald to see you here and hope you will stick around and share your professional wisdom. ... knowing we can not hold you responcible for the advice you give

Salim

We at our dealer have the same predicament as far as the what we recommend and what the book in every car says.....It will never be identical but there is a reason our dealer turned down a heavy incentive laiden deal with valvoline to do trans "flushes" to all our vehicles....They offered all equipment for free.....demos of how it works, free "trans fluid kits" to all employees and who knows what kind of kick backs to our GSM and Service Director. They even brought by a signed "guarantee" stating that the flush would not void any warranty and if it did cause a problem, valvoline would take care of it....Guess what? That was months ago and they got a "hell no" in response....
Thanks for the kind words...

OH and one last thing....we do not do any drain and fills except oil changes to any vehicle 04' and newer until 60k miles or 90k miles depending on the vehicle.......
Old 09-14-05, 10:50 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

We at our dealer have the same predicament as far as the what we recommend and what the book in every car says.....It will never be identical but there is a reason our dealer turned down a heavy incentive laiden deal with valvoline to do trans "flushes" to all our vehicles....They offered all equipment for free.....demos of how it works, free "trans fluid kits" to all employees and who knows what kind of kick backs to our GSM and Service Director. They even brought by a signed "guarantee" stating that the flush would not void any warranty and if it did cause a problem, valvoline would take care of it....Guess what? That was months ago and they got a "hell no" in response....
Thanks for the kind words...

OH and one last thing....we do not do any drain and fills except oil changes to any vehicle 04' and newer until 60k miles or 90k miles depending on the vehicle.......
hes right. him beeing only a hop skip and jump away from me. every 15k its recomended. especially in our area where there is tons of traffic.
Old 09-15-05, 01:09 AM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sorry To Hear About Your Transmission

I think that TOYOTA should stand behind their equipment since they recommend the use of their fluid. This particular transmission has been more "problematic" than other Lexus transmissions, and as such should be treated a little differently.

A transmission's worst enemy is HEAT, and that is what causes the most problems. Someone made a comment a few posts back about owners checking their transmission fluid... (or the lack thereof). I will submit that most owners don't give transmission fluid much thought.

My experience with TOYOTA TYPE T-IV is that it is barely sufficient for our needs in my opinion. One need only look at this fluid after 15,000 miles of normal driving, and it is evident that it breaks down and turns black. My brother in law recently has his LS400 serviced at a Lexus dealership. He had the timing belt changed at 90,000 miles. He paid over $1500 dollars because he needed a rear transmission mount. When he got it back, the transmission fluid had not been changed, but he had confidence in his car since it was just done at the dealership. He went back and asked why it was not done, and the dealership replied that his wife had not requested it when she brought it in for the service. They quickly changed it, because it was supposed to be part of the 90,000 mile service. Some dealerships have to be watched, not all.

When I was in the market for a pre-owned GS400 / 430 a few years ago, I routinely saw Lexus cars on the lot for sale with dark to black transmission fluid, yet had clean fresh engine oil. Mind you, these were CERTIFIED cars. The dealer did not want to go through the extra expense to change it. There was more money to be made if the owner paid for the service after purchase, or purchased the CERTIFIED agreement. Then if the transmission went out, they made money by way of the warranty.

The smoother a transmission shifts between gears, the more it "slips" and therefore more wear it puts on the fluid. My 5 speed transmission in my GS4 changes from 1st to 5th normally before the car reaches 30 mph in city driving. THAT generates heat..lots of it. Most people like a SMOOOTH shift, but fail to realize just how hot this makes the fluid.

SO I put in an additional transmission fluid cooler, AND switched to synthetic oil. It has made all the difference in the world. Examples of great fluid are Mobil 1 synthetic AND AMSOIL synthetic. They fight heat better, and do not break down as easily. They are just BETTER whether the majority of readers here want to admit it.

There has been so much controversy in this forum concerning ONLY using Toyota TYPE T-IV transmission fluid, and yet people experience failures with it anyway. If you use the factory fluid, chances are 30,000 miles is way too long to wait to change it. Change it every 15000 miles for longer transmission life. Get into the habit of looking at your transmission fluid level and condition everytime you get gasoline, or at least once a month. I rub it between my fingers to determine if I feel grit in it. Being **** retentive on some things sometimes is a good thing
If you use a good fluid, you won't have to change it as often.

Maybe many readers don't know that Toyota has moved away from TYPE T-IV in the newest cars out there. In 2005 the LS came with SYNTHETIC fluid, and it is now in the 2006 model as well as the 2006 GS. BOTH of these cars have the new 6 speed transmissions, and I am sure they tax the fluid even more than our transmissions do. Maybe they know something we don't.
I don't agree with the premise that the fluid lasts the life of the car, but you can believe that it is better than TYPE T-IV. I drove a 2005 Toyota Corolla rental car recently, and even it has transmission fluid that they state doesn't need to be changed. When I got gasoline in it, I checked the fluid as habit, and discovered the memo on the dipstick. Synthetic fluid is the way to go.

A transmission seldom just GOES out. USUALLY there is a warning of some type before it lets go, but anything is possible. Just not likely. A failed pump is usually the result of poor fluid circulation, usually brought on my a partially blocked transmission filter.

If you want to get an idea of just how hot that fluid gets during normal driving, feel the transmission lines before making a short trip, and feel them once you return. The fluid takes a BEATING everytime you drive. The more stop and go driving, the worse it is.

Even with the trans cooler and synthetic fluid, I am still suprised how hot my fluid gets. But is is not as bad as it used to be. It is only worse if you use the stock fluid and no extra cooler.

Last edited by gserep1; 09-15-05 at 01:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Transmission Failure