RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Transmission Failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-05, 05:32 AM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We've seen in this thread that there are a lot of good reasons to change the trans fluid, such as the previous post.

So, does anyone know why Lexus actually discourages changing it?

I'm pretty sure that my 2002 RX said that it wasn't necessary to change it unless the vehicle is following the "severe service schedule", and even then I think it just said to inspect it.

The RX330 maintenance book says to inspect it every 30,000 miles or 24 months, and it only indicates replacement after towing for 60,000 miles. There's also a sticker on the dipstick that says there is "no need to replace ATF under normal driving conditions."

Of course, I would think that if you inspect it and it looks/feels bad, you would need to change it.

I change it anyway (as I'm sure most forum members do), but why does Lexus think it will last a long time?
Old 09-15-05, 06:25 AM
minty99z
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=gserep1]

Maybe many readers don't know that Toyota has moved away from TYPE T-IV in the newest cars out there. In 2005 the LS came with SYNTHETIC fluid, and it is now in the 2006 model as well as the 2006 GS. BOTH of these cars have the new 6 speed transmissions, and I am sure they tax the fluid even more than our transmissions do. Maybe they know something we don't.
I don't agree with the premise that the fluid lasts the life of the car, but you can believe that it is better than TYPE T-IV. I drove a 2005 Toyota Corolla rental car recently, and even it has transmission fluid that they state doesn't need to be changed. When I got gasoline in it, I checked the fluid as habit, and discovered the memo on the dipstick. Synthetic fluid is the way to go.

QUOTE]

You might not know or forgot to mention...but these 06' cars your mentioned come with enclosed trans cases and you are not supposed to change the fluid in them....for a LONGGGGG time
Old 09-15-05, 06:26 AM
minty99z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rxdriver
We've seen in this thread that there are a lot of good reasons to change the trans fluid, such as the previous post.

So, does anyone know why Lexus actually discourages changing it?

I'm pretty sure that my 2002 RX said that it wasn't necessary to change it unless the vehicle is following the "severe service schedule", and even then I think it just said to inspect it.

The RX330 maintenance book says to inspect it every 30,000 miles or 24 months, and it only indicates replacement after towing for 60,000 miles. There's also a sticker on the dipstick that says there is "no need to replace ATF under normal driving conditions."

Of course, I would think that if you inspect it and it looks/feels bad, you would need to change it.

I change it anyway (as I'm sure most forum members do), but why does Lexus think it will last a long time?
I dont know what the answer to your question is, but I do know all the dealerships in this area do it every 15k.....
Old 09-16-05, 07:27 AM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The New Fluid Is Great...but...

I wouldn't be so hasty thinking that that fluid will last the life of the car. Just because the transmission has an "enclosed case", doesn't mean that it is maintenance-free. There is always a way to service it. Believe me, Toyota and Lexus know how. BMW has removed the dipstick on their cars for YEARS in an effort to have everyone bring the cars back in to them for service.

I was faced with the same dilemma with my daughter's 2000 VW Beetle w/ automatic transmission. The dealershjp kept telling me that it didn't need service EVER. I bought into it for the first 3 years (until warranty end), and THEN they said that the fluid COULD be changed...for $350.00. So I did some research and found out how to do it. It was easy, and the condition of the fluid after 3 years of driving was pretty bad. I used AMSOIL Universal Synthetic Fluid. The factory fluid costs $16.00 a quart. 2 years with the AMSOIL, and NO problems whatsoever.

So since then, I don't buy into the hype. If they can get you out of warranty, you will be in for a rude awakening if it fails.

Everything new that Toyota and Lexus makes today has this new fluid now.

Last edited by gserep1; 09-16-05 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-18-05, 02:44 PM
vinster29
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lexus Pink transmission fluid

I had my transmission fluid changed at the 30K mile service at the lexus dealership and am now approaching the 60K mile mark. They put in some pink colored Lexus transmission fluid that is still pink and doesn't look like it needs to be changed. Is this pink ATF, the synthetic type? How long will this transmission fluid last compared to the Toyota dextron IV ATF?
Old 09-19-05, 01:20 PM
mmahamm
Driver

Originally Posted by vinster29
I had my transmission fluid changed at the 30K mile service at the lexus dealership and am now approaching the 60K mile mark. They put in some pink colored Lexus transmission fluid that is still pink and doesn't look like it needs to be changed. Is this pink ATF, the synthetic type? How long will this transmission fluid last compared to the Toyota dextron IV ATF?
If your car is not one of the newer ones with the "sealed" transmissions, then it is probably Toyota Type IV. It is NOT Dexron. Forget about Dexron. That is the name for a specific type of fluid that until the 90s was used in lots of automatic transmissions, and is ENTIRELY different from Toyota Type IV.

BTW this "sealed" transmission reminds me of all of the "sealed" things that we wish we could still service...like batteries, ball joints, and the like.

I'd like to see one of those 'sealed' transmissions. No drain plug? no pan? no dipstick tube? How is it "sealed?"
Old 09-19-05, 01:23 PM
mmahamm
Driver

Originally Posted by minty99z
We do a drain and fill on ALL cars every 15k....
Doing a drain and fill every 15K is overkill. It's kind of like the 3000 mile oil change. It does not provide any appreciable benefit over a 5000 mile oil change, but it makes a lot of money for Jiffy Lube and your neighborhood dealer. While doing a drain and fill evey 15K will almost certainly not harm your transmission, it's way too frequently--especially if they are charging you $100 for it.

How often do you drop the pain and change the filter?
Old 09-19-05, 01:49 PM
minty99z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmahamm
Doing a drain and fill every 15K is overkill. It's kind of like the 3000 mile oil change. It does not provide any appreciable benefit over a 5000 mile oil change, but it makes a lot of money for Jiffy Lube and your neighborhood dealer. While doing a drain and fill evey 15K will almost certainly not harm your transmission, it's way too frequently--especially if they are charging you $100 for it.

Dont take this the wrong way but your post cracks me up....Its overkill? Alright, perhaps it should be done every 20k....As for your question on drop the pan and change the filter....how about NEVER....on ANY Lexus Period.........We dont change filters and we never have trans problems because of it....otherwise the GS, LS, GX, LX, IS and ES would ALSO have trans problems........Are you an automotive engineer? I would like to know what you base your statement of not needing to change the fluid every 15k on.....because your car doesn't need it? Sorry if this post seems like I'm on the offensive, Im just trying to understand why you are saying WHAT you are saying.....thats all.......
Old 10-06-05, 08:41 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmahamm

Our Aisin trannies only hold 2-3 quarts of fluid in their pans, you can do it every 3rd or 4th oil change...
Old 10-06-05, 09:35 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Sealed Tranny, Lifetime Fluid - Total BS!

Originally Posted by nthach
Our Aisin trannies only hold 2-3 quarts of fluid in their pans, you can do it every 3rd or 4th oil change...
RX300 AWD can drain and fill 4.2 quarts, total capacity is 16 quarts. For all of you that thinks sealed tranny does not need to change ATF, take a look at this Audi A8 after 30K miles usage of "lifetime ATF" from a supposed "sealed" tranny
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...owtopic=21415&
Attached Thumbnails Transmission Failure-tranfilchange15.jpg