RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

rx300 problem.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-05, 08:18 PM
mr. aristo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rx300 problem.....

my girl has a 2000 rx300 with 42k miles on it.... i have noticed recently when we start the car up in the parking garage... the dome light seems to flicker on and off very very rapidly and also teh taillights the license plate light pretty much all lights ... then later we were driving then coming to a stop the car suddenly just died. but then started right back up and drove like nothing happend. about 2 weeks later the car died again while coming to a stop so i went and had the alternator chcekc and battery and they are fine. waht is causing the strobbing of the lights and the car to just die? help plz... she gets so angry at me that my 01 gs with 75k has no problems.. lol <--- sorry that wasn't funny
Old 09-28-05, 08:23 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mr. aristo
my girl has a 2000 rx300 with 42k miles on it.... i have noticed recently when we start the car up in the parking garage... the dome light seems to flicker on and off very very rapidly and also teh taillights the license plate light pretty much all lights ... then later we were driving then coming to a stop the car suddenly just died. but then started right back up and drove like nothing happend. about 2 weeks later the car died again while coming to a stop so i went and had the alternator chcekc and battery and they are fine. waht is causing the strobbing of the lights and the car to just die? help plz... she gets so angry at me that my 01 gs with 75k has no problems.. lol <--- sorry that wasn't funny
Your battery is dying.
Old 09-28-05, 10:04 PM
mr. aristo
Lead Lap

then y would the battery check out fine?
Old 09-28-05, 11:10 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

then y would the battery check out fine?
Not sure, my battery died two years ago and my car flashed like a Christmas tree. Died when brake was applied since more bulbs were lit. Lexus battery is not that great to begin with, 5 years is a long time already.
Old 09-29-05, 06:26 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

"Fine or OK" is rather abstract... If this is your original battery, replace it. If not, fine a "good" auto electrical shop and have the system properly check with load meters. They should be able to give you voltages .
Old 09-29-05, 08:33 PM
steevr
Pole Position

The dome & license lights on my '02 have flickered since day one. When I took it in for it's first service, the tech said all the RX's did this and it was normal. Over the past few years, every single loaner RX300 I got did the same thing. I flet better it just wasn't mine, but it's still something that shouldn't be. The light's don't flicker when the engine's not running.
Old 09-29-05, 10:41 PM
salimshah

Received 1,082 Likes on 974 Posts

Seems some thing with the electronics.
Battery seems unlikely as the car has no problem in starting immediately after the shutdown [this is when the battery is stressed the most ... other than cold start in the morning].
I would have the ecu read [on board diagnostic read/dump] to see all sensors are sending "normal" signals.
You may like to try resetting the ecu by disconnecting the battery terninal for extended time [you will loose seat + radio settings]. You will have to drive couple of hundred miles to have a meaningful download from ecu via on board diagnostic .. if you take that route. So dont reset the ecu night before your appointment.

Loose electrical connection is another possibility. Make sure the battery terminals are clean and secure. Seat all fuses.
Check the ground strap between engine block and body.
Any one knows where this strap is? [directly from the battery post to alternator?]

Salim
Old 09-29-05, 11:26 PM
mr. aristo
Lead Lap

alrighty then... i will be checkin stuff out but if thats the case that all rx's flicker like that... that is pretty damn lame from lexus. if my gs did that or my 240sx i would be pissed
Old 09-30-05, 07:54 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

If you battery is indeed okay, then a wire that is not securely clamped.

If not, it is likely your grounding...not a fuse.

I have a friend with an RX-7 whose AC will not work. We recently installed and Apexi grounding system and guess what...now the AC works.

I use extra grounding cables myself.
Old 10-07-05, 07:27 PM
mr. aristo
Lead Lap

ok this problem seems to happen about once a week.... this is crap and i still don't understand y when the car is on all operating lights on the car strobe very fast when the car is at idle not moving
Old 10-07-05, 08:57 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Batteries can develop a memory and cycle, but other parts do not. My old Lexus batteries did this to me and then it got worse (not always) but in cycle. Last time up in San Antonio got myself a sweet Red Top Optima and never looked back.
Old 10-08-05, 05:04 AM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Intermitent electrical problems

Have the engine ground checked at the block and also check for loose battery connections.

My neighbour had the same problem and it was only after he brought home a new battery to install in the car, that he noticed the original battery was fine, just had loose contacts.

Just curious, are you running any aftermarket electronics, ie: stereo, car starter, alarm etc...

If so, I'm wondering if a bad ground in the install may have caused your problem?

Gotta luv electrical problems.......... ;-(
Old 10-08-05, 07:52 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you still have the original Panasonic battery in a 2000 It is going to need replacement very soon anyway. Pick up a battery at Costco. Kirkland batteries are made by Johnson Controls, the best manfacturer and also the maker of the Optima. The Kirkland battery for the RX is only about $40. It's cheaper and faster than doing any kind of troubeshooting and almost guaranteed to fix you problem. You may want to do a search in this forum on "battery" and see the types of problems others have solved by a battery replacement.
Old 10-08-05, 08:49 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mikey00
If you still have the original Panasonic battery in a 2000 It is going to need replacement very soon anyway. Pick up a battery at Costco. Kirkland batteries are made by Johnson Controls, the best manfacturer and also the maker of the Optima. The Kirkland battery for the RX is only about $40. It's cheaper and faster than doing any kind of troubeshooting and almost guaranteed to fix you problem. You may want to do a search in this forum on "battery" and see the types of problems others have solved by a battery replacement.
Mikey, thanks for sharing the maker of Kirkland battery. Now I like Costco even more.
Old 01-26-06, 07:37 PM
mr. aristo
Lead Lap

problem still exsists... battery is fine had it pulled and checked... everything in this car is completely stock... i wanted to throw a system in it... but didn't want to risk it with the strobby lights... any1 else have this problem or found a solution to fix?

Quick Reply: rx300 problem.....