RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Timing Belt and Idler Pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-05, 11:27 AM
cephraim
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt and Idler Pulleys

So, my 2000 RX300 will be coming up on 90K miles pretty soon.
Lexus recommends replacing the timing belt. I guess there's also a "kit" to replace the idler pulleys/bearings at the same time.

Do you guys recommend replacing the timing belt at this interval?
What about the idler pulleys? They tell me it should only be another $75 for the idler pulleys.

Thanks!
Eph
Old 11-02-05, 04:57 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cephraim
Lexus recommends replacing the timing belt. I guess there's also a "kit" to replace the idler pulleys/bearings at the same time.

What about the idler pulleys? They tell me it should only be another $75 for the idler pulleys.

Thanks!
Eph
I will soon be having mine done at the Toyota dealer. I figured he most likely sees more of this engine than the Lexus dealer. His recommendation was to just do the belt. Normal cost is $399 but they often run specials for $299. I asked about the water pump, which I know the Lexus service guys like to change while they have things apart, and the Toyota service manager said not to waste my money changing good parts that rarely fail. I am assuming the idler pulleys are not included in his quote but I did not ask specifically about them.
Old 11-02-05, 10:09 PM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

Thanks!
Eph
I would strongly reccomend to have the belt replaced at the prescribed milage (time interval is another story).

The idler must be replaced only after visual inspection. Tell tale signs are change of color (bluish) due to heating ..lack of lubrication.

Salim
Old 11-03-05, 04:50 AM
cephraim
Driver

Default Replacing at Toyota Dealer

What a great idea that is!

Unfortunately, I just called my Toyota dealer, and they indicated that they are NOT ABLE to buy Lexus certified parts or perform anything other than routine oil changes, tire rotations, etc., on Lexus vehicles. Considering independent dealers are, this is clearly a "political" issue between Toyota and Lexus.

Anyhow, thanks for the advice. I think I'll probably have the timing belt AND the idlers replaced, given the relatively small incremental price.

Thanks again,
Eph
Old 11-03-05, 10:47 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What a great idea that is!

Unfortunately, I just called my Toyota dealer, and they indicated that they are NOT ABLE to buy Lexus certified parts or perform anything other than routine oil changes, tire rotations, etc., on Lexus vehicles. Considering independent dealers are, this is clearly a "political" issue between Toyota and Lexus.

Anyhow, thanks for the advice. I think I'll probably have the timing belt AND the idlers replaced, given the relatively small incremental price.

Thanks again,
Eph
The only time I have heard of a Toyota dealer not being able to service a Lexus was because they both had the same owner. If you have other Totyota dealers in the area you may want to give them a try.
Old 11-03-05, 11:09 AM
salimshah

There are independants too.

Although the process is straightforward (but time consuming). There are mishaps that happen too..
just browse the GS Forum regarding bent valve.

Finding means to save money are nice but at the end, you need to be comfortable that the car is in good hands.

Salim
Old 11-04-05, 04:58 AM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah - what's up with this?
I've heard the same thing from three Toyota dealers in the last six months. They all use the same verbage. "I can't order any Lexus-specific parts. I can only order parts that also fit Toyota models." Even the closest Toyota dealer that I've been going to for years told me that.
One dealer I went to last week is so paranoid about this that I heard the speech over an oil filter! I was crazy enough to mention that I wanted a 90915-YZZD1 for a Lexus RX. No, that's not a Lexus-specific filter; it's just that he happened to stock the U.S.-made filter for V6's, the 90915-YZZG1, so he didn't recognize the number. (D1 is made in Thailand.)
The powertrain on the Lexus RX is also used on V6 models of the Sienna and the Highlander in the same model years. This should not be that big of a deal - clearly, it's some sort of an internal thing at Toyota that I think deserves a phone call to Toyota HQ. (800-331-4331)
Old 11-04-05, 06:27 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rxdriver
deserves a phone call to Toyota HQ. (800-331-4331)
I had the same kind of thing happen to me at the Toyota dealer I was having ExpressLube oil changes done at. Toyota HQ said to take the car to Lexus for service. It could well be an orchestrated thing. It just started in the past year. Now this Toyota dealer (Toyota of Alexandria VA) charges a higher price to change the oil in a Lexus, puts me to the end of the line, and doesn't honor Toyota service coupons.
Old 11-04-05, 01:38 PM
salimshah

This thread is very interesting (for the the lack of a better word).

I still remember long discussions and defensive answers by Lexus owners saying their vehciles are not Toyotas. Here the reverse is being argued.

Salim
Old 11-04-05, 05:29 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
This thread is very interesting (for the the lack of a better word).

I still remember long discussions and defensive answers by Lexus owners saying their vehciles are not Toyotas. Here the reverse is being argued.

Salim
Now that you mention it, you're right. I recall those dicussions, too. (I was reading the forums for a while before joining.) Lots of talk about "the Lexus experience".
I will certainly admit that the Lexus dealer I go to has a very nice facility and I've had nothing but positive experiences with the people and the service. The main problem I have is that Lexus is not conveniently located. There are a lot more Toyota dealers than Lexus dealers, and the Toyota dealer is only a few miles from my house and work; Lexus is more than twice as far away. Of course, there's also an issue with Lexus being more expensive for the same parts and services, but I guess they've got to pay for that nice facility somehow.
I can understand Toyota trying to encourage Lexus owners to visit Lexus dealers, because there is a difference between how the two brands handle the service process. I just don't get why the Toyota dealers have to be hostile, rude, and/or paranoid about touching a Lexus part or product. If I want to buy OEM parts or get an oil change from the closest location to me, what's the problem?
Old 11-05-05, 05:05 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rxdriver
Yeah - what's up with this?
I've heard the same thing from three Toyota dealers in the last six months. They all use the same verbage. "I can't order any Lexus-specific parts. I can only order parts that also fit Toyota models." Even the closest Toyota dealer that I've been going to for years told me that.
One dealer I went to last week is so paranoid about this that I heard the speech over an oil filter! I was crazy enough to mention that I wanted a 90915-YZZD1 for a Lexus RX. No, that's not a Lexus-specific filter; it's just that he happened to stock the U.S.-made filter for V6's, the 90915-YZZG1, so he didn't recognize the number. (D1 is made in Thailand.)
The powertrain on the Lexus RX is also used on V6 models of the Sienna and the Highlander in the same model years. This should not be that big of a deal - clearly, it's some sort of an internal thing at Toyota that I think deserves a phone call to Toyota HQ. (800-331-4331)
If he can't "order the parts" just tell him you will supply the belt from Lexus.
Old 11-10-05, 06:18 AM
cephraim
Driver

Folks. Interesting conversation, but I still would like the opinions of a broader group of RX300 owners.

Should I replace the idler pulley and tensioner belt at the same time that I have the timing belt replaced at the 90K service? Turns out it adds more like $150 to the cost of the service.

If it really makes sense to replace these additional parts, I'll definitely do it. But, just would like some unbiased opinions.

Thanks,
Eph
Old 11-10-05, 08:35 AM
salimshah

Have you decided on the water-pump .. to replace it or not?

Salim
Old 11-10-05, 10:01 AM
cephraim
Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
Have you decided on the water-pump .. to replace it or not?

Salim
I don't recall seeing the water pump in the suggested 90K maintenance...
Old 11-10-05, 04:53 PM
salimshah

Neither the water pump nor the idler are reccoemeded replacemnt items at 90k. When I was about to have the timing belt replaced, just like you, was faced with premptive repalcements of parts. I could not find any data on mean time to failure on the water-pump {I really did not enquire about the idlers}. The base issue being, it will be another 90K before the thing is opened up and I am already paying for almost all of the labor.

In my case the idlers had turned blue .. due to overheating due to lack of lubrication so it was an obvious choice. Water pumps can show external signs of wear but some problems can be hidden. I took a calculated risk, lets see when the pump stops working.

By the way, you may have to go with your gut call.

Good Luck.

Salim.

Quick Reply: Timing Belt and Idler Pulleys