RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Couple of detailing questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-01, 06:50 PM
satxrx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Okay, I washed and waxed my RX and it looks good, but I don't often like spending 4 hours in the Texas heat. But I did it anyway. I used Meguiar's Gold Class wax - looks nice. Wax on. Wax off.

But here's my question: What do you recommend to use to in between wax jobs to keep my RX looking sweet but without all the sweat???

Is there a solution or do I just have to sweat it out?

Oh yeah, I noticed some slightly rough spots on the paint - oxidation? pollution fallout?

What do you recommend for smoothing out the rough patches? Claybar? something else?

Any thoughtful comments would be appreciated!
Old 07-25-01, 09:58 AM
ObiDon
Driver

Thumbs up

I need to start getting $$ from these folks. Try this link and look at the tips and faqs. I used the Z-1 Z-2 and then the Z-6. I also use the Leather Z-10 stuff and it smells great. I have only been using the Zaino products for about 2 months and I really like the way it works. Its easy, and lasts.

http://www.zainobros.com/
Old 07-25-01, 10:45 AM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

I use Zaino to keep the RX shiny. I have longer and loner spans b/t zaino applications b/c everytime I zaino my car I do the whole thing...wash, claybar, wash, polish, wax. Takes a whole day. Other than that I just whash my car about once a week, or whenever it needs it. I use a regular car wash concentrate. My solution usually has a high level of car wash concentrate.
Old 07-25-01, 10:51 PM
salimshah

Received 1,072 Likes on 965 Posts

3M has a product ~fine cut (or some thing similar) available at Pep Boys ($8 for a bottle). Expensive but works well... (fine abrasive action)

Salim
Old 07-25-01, 11:16 PM
satxrx
Driver

Default salimshah - regarding 3M product

The 3M product your talking about - I'm guessing that this stuff is is used to smooth out the rough spots I was talking about?

And if so, what's been your experience with it? Any tips on how to best use it for maximum effectiveness? Any concerns with the clearcoat or paint with the product?

Thanks!
Old 07-25-01, 11:59 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

I just got mine, we used something called "touch of class" it was part of Lexus of Serramonte, but they didn't do it themselves, they let this other company do it. Its nice, cuz i dont have a garage and i just got my car today, so i have to park out in the street with the dumb fog n stuff which would rust my car, but its supposly not going to, we also have a 5yr warrenty, and our dealer has the "touch of class" on his s2000 which is parked outside also, and it still shiny n nice!!! =)
Old 07-26-01, 03:31 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Zaino. It's been 3 mos since I did both my 430 and my wife's 99 RX. Both cars still bead water like the day I Z1 and -2'd them. Using Zaino's car wash (Z7). Both cars appear to be almost luminescent (hers is Crystal White, mine is MilSil........so, between durability and appearance, I'm pretty satisfied.

satxrx, not sure what to make of your "rough spots"......is it just the appearance of the paint, or do they actually have different texture compared to the surrounding paint???? if appearance, it sounds like some sort of spotting, but if texture, implication would be some sort of damage through the clear coat and into the paint itself...........:eek:
Old 07-26-01, 06:32 AM
satxrx
Driver

spinteews: I've heard of it sort of "coating" before and I think they even offer it here. However, I'm not sure if my '99 would benefit from this application at this point...

mooretorque: Yes, sounds like Zaino is the way to go. That company should offer ClubLexus a group discount for the amount of free advertising and testimony they get from this site alone!

To clarify on the rough spots, I'm referring to how the surface feels when touched. On 95% of the RX, the paint feels smooth like glass but on a small section near the rear, it feels textured in some way. You really cannot see the difference and I don't believe it's been repainted. My guess it's from "pollution fallout" and therefore may need a claybar or something else to smooth it out with the rest of the vehicle. What do you think?

Thanks to everyone for the responses!
Old 07-26-01, 07:05 AM
TNT99

Cool No WAX - No Sweat

I used to be a very **** car waher/waxer. I always take care of my cars, no matter what it is.

I have recently been taking my car to a Lincoln dealership (I'm sure most dealerships will do this for you) to have them spray a clearcoat on my RX SSE. It costs me $25 (sister inlaw works there) but I am sure you can get it for under $100. They wash your car, make sure it is clean and spray the clearcoat on it. It works great, car is super clean, don't have to worry about love bugs or tar or any other crap. It lasts for about 12 months (similar to wax) but I get mine done every 3-6 months.

You guys should try it, in between clearcoats, I wash it with Mcquires.
Old 07-26-01, 07:47 AM
TNT99

One other thing, what do you recommend for dash? I use the Armorall non-shiney stuff. Is there a better product out there?
Old 07-26-01, 11:20 PM
salimshah

Received 1,072 Likes on 965 Posts
Default Re: salimshah - regarding 3M product

Originally posted by satxrx
The 3M product your talking about - I'm guessing that this stuff is is used to smooth out the rough spots I was talking about?

And if so, what's been your experience with it? Any tips on how to best use it for maximum effectiveness? Any concerns with the clearcoat or paint with the product?

Thanks!
3M product is Perfect-It II, Rubbing compound. Fine cut.

Yes, due to abrasive nature, this or similar product would smoothen out the rough spot.

It is clear coat safe. The product was suggested by a detailer and I used it to clean out scrape marks. Worked well for me. I applied it by hand, buffer might give better results.

Salim
Old 07-27-01, 09:27 AM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

satxrx: i'm pretty sure your 99 rx will be able to go thru the process "touch of class" because we are bringing our 99 honda accord to get the "touch of class" also and the dealer said it will work
Old 07-27-01, 09:54 AM
satxrx
Driver

Salimshah: Thanks for the update! I'll check into the 3M product.

Spinteews: Yes, perhaps I'll talk to some of the shops here that do this kind of coating and see what they'll say and if it's cost effective. However, there's just something about washing and waxing my "baby".

BTW, I dig your user name... someone once referred to me as that for some crazy reason!
Old 07-27-01, 10:40 AM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

HAHA impressive, you have just discovered my real user name LoL =P not much people know bout it sounds good both ways HAHA
Old 07-27-01, 03:53 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Thumbs up

spinteews, we (by we I mean my family aka my sister) have exactly the same car as you have - a Black 1999 EX V6 Accord 2dr. Great minds...

Quick Reply: Couple of detailing questions...