RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

twin turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-05, 10:27 AM
JDMHARRIER
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question twin turbo?

sup guys ... i know we always saying no one makes supercharger or turbo kits for the rx300... also saying it will never work out right cause of the motor.... DO YOU GUYS THINK ITS WORTH DOING TWIN TURBO ON RX300? i was talking to my buddy the other day about turbos and he gettin a custom twin turbo done and i met the guy who is making the custom TT for his lex.. so i was talking to him about the rx300 and he said he could make a TT for me ... but the PRICE IS REALLY REALLY REALLY HIGH... its gonna cost me two legs and two arms . ... but at the same time i wanna be the first to have TT RX300 around streets of LA or i might be the first to have one....after seeing the new range rover v8 supercharger, mbz ml amg, bmw x5 4.8i all pushing about 350 n plus HP, compare to the rx300 or rx330. give me some feed backs there only two months left for this year.. i wanna start a new project for 2006 and try to save some money up to do this .
Old 11-04-05, 04:01 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I am interested as well, would be great if you can list what it take ($, parts) to get a turbo in. I think Lexmex is experiementing with Turbo idea for a while. I am researching on BBK. Let's divide and conquer
Old 11-04-05, 11:01 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

It is doable and has been done on a 1MZFE engine. Topline of Japan did this not too long ago on a 1MZFE for a Toyota Estima (looks like an old Toyota Previa) minivan. I don't have specifics on this, but do remember seeing a picture of it, though I believe it has been removed from their site. Keep in mind the throttle body setup was slightly different.

I can imagine it would be mucho bucks $$$ to do a twin turbo on the RX as a custom job.

TTE does make a supercharger kit for the RX300...see my previous posts.

I have been told from certain sources that the RX300's tranny can handle up to 400 hp. I have no idea how much power you are thinking about adding on a twin turbo, but I would advise caution on this issue alone.

My idea is to use a Squires Turbo (a turbo that goes underneath the car near the muffler). I want to finish modding the rest of my RX before I proceed. I have figured it will cost me somewhere on the order of $5000 USD to do this, and I figured out where the pipes will go, just have to select the right turbo and components.

Already with what I have below in my signature...I am positive I can destroy an RX330 and I know I am fast on the heels of the RX400h.

Tuned, I did run the RX tonight, but put too much gas in so I did not get a fair measurement. Was clocking 18.3s, but between 1/2 and 1/4 tank , so probably 18.2s and 18.1s maybe faster if I had done it right.

Will try again tomorrow night with amount of gas I usually run with.

I put in that Sun Automotive Hypervoltage System (MR version) before going to the track and I can definitely feel it...especially on the highway. Talk about hyperspace when I press the pedal.
Old 11-05-05, 12:12 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

The topline kit has been out for maybe around 5 years now. Normal 97+ 1mz-fe, It doesn't pipe to a 1mz-fe VVT-i BEAMS engine.
I would skip the twins. Way too much pain in the **** to fab the odd bank for next to nothing in return. JDMHARRIER you have a lot of research to do. Lots, and lots of research.

Last edited by Pheonix; 11-05-05 at 12:17 AM.
Old 11-05-05, 01:04 AM
JDMHARRIER
Driver

the guy told me around 6,000.00 dollars for everything plus labor. i know i have alot of rearch to do. i been doing it thats why im askin for a feed backs to see whats your guys point of view of this project. is it worth the money or waste of money
Old 11-06-05, 10:15 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexmex
It is doable and has been done on a 1MZFE engine. Topline of Japan did this not too long ago on a 1MZFE for a Toyota Estima (looks like an old Toyota Previa) minivan. I don't have specifics on this, but do remember seeing a picture of it, though I believe it has been removed from their site. Keep in mind the throttle body setup was slightly different.

I can imagine it would be mucho bucks $$$ to do a twin turbo on the RX as a custom job.

TTE does make a supercharger kit for the RX300...see my previous posts.

I have been told from certain sources that the RX300's tranny can handle up to 400 hp. I have no idea how much power you are thinking about adding on a twin turbo, but I would advise caution on this issue alone.

My idea is to use a Squires Turbo (a turbo that goes underneath the car near the muffler). I want to I agfinish modding the rest of my RX before I proceed. I have figured it will cost me somewhere on the order of $5000 USD to do this, and I figured out where the pipes will go, just have to select the right turbo and components.

Already with what I have below in my signature...I am positive I can destroy an RX330 and I know I am fast on the heels of the RX400h.

Tuned, I did run the RX tonight, but put too much gas in so I did not get a fair measurement. Was clocking 18.3s, but between 1/2 and 1/4 tank , so probably 18.2s and 18.1s maybe faster if I had done it right.

Will try again tomorrow night with amount of gas I usually run with.

I put in that Sun Automotive Hypervoltage System (MR version) before going to the track and I can definitely feel it...especially on the highway. Talk about hyperspace when I press the pedal.
I am glad SUN HVS work out for you. RX330 does not have that big of advantage over RX300, with your mods you should beat a stock RX330.
Related to your turbo idea, the TEIN coilover is adjustable in from -2.1 inch to -3.1 inch upfront. Even though it is for FWD but AWD and FWD share the same design on front axel. It is a little waste to use the front ones (H&R for the rear), but that could be an option if you are not sure about clearance and still want to reduce drag coefficient of the car. Here is a FWD on TEIN coilover
Attached Thumbnails twin turbo?-rx300_coilover.jpg  

Last edited by TunedRX300; 11-06-05 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-07-05, 06:43 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I am going to think about those TEINS.

My gas level was still too high. It is funny, but that SUN system does seem to save a little more gas than normal. Will have to check my MPG.

I going to get SUN's grounding wires, TTE lowering springs and would like to get new KYB shocks and rotors similar to your configuration Tuned. If I can find them at the right price up in San Antonio in December, I also plan to get some Racing Hart or other low weight rims.

I am still waiting on my Vitek spark wire and I ordered a TRD oil cap (I painted my engine cover completely silver).

I met the guy will make headers but we still have to come up with the right design. I looked at that JP Performance system for the ES/Camry to get an idea.

Anything else performance-wise we could put on my RX? I am taking suggestions.

BTW, I found this picture that I remember is the Topline twin turbo setup on the 1MZFE (It has been posted before on CL).
Attached Thumbnails twin turbo?-twinturbo.jpg  

Last edited by Lexmex; 11-07-05 at 06:47 AM.
Old 11-07-05, 11:49 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Outlaw Engineering's thermblok spacer may be the next performance gain after header, lighter rims, and of course, forced induction. People start email them tech@outlawengineering.com to develope an application for our cars. Cost is just $100 for ~5hp gain If everyone waits, they will not commit $ and resource to an application that they can not sell.
Attached Images  
Old 11-08-05, 07:42 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I second Tuned on this one and hope everyone here emails them (I did). I have my $100 USD ready.

My personal goal is to outperform the RX400h on performance with my own RX. Mods like the one from Outlaw Engineering help all of us whether at the track or to keep our beloved RXs going in the long term.

I have seen similar type thermoblock spacers on cars at my own track, and the guys absolutely know these things work...one of those scientific laws at work again like grounding wires.
Old 11-08-05, 11:36 AM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMHARRIER
sup guys ... i know we always saying no one makes supercharger or turbo kits for the rx300... also saying it will never work out right cause of the motor.... DO YOU GUYS THINK ITS WORTH DOING TWIN TURBO ON RX300? i was talking to my buddy the other day about turbos and he gettin a custom twin turbo done and i met the guy who is making the custom TT for his lex.. so i was talking to him about the rx300 and he said he could make a TT for me ... but the PRICE IS REALLY REALLY REALLY HIGH... its gonna cost me two legs and two arms . ... but at the same time i wanna be the first to have TT RX300 around streets of LA or i might be the first to have one....after seeing the new range rover v8 supercharger, mbz ml amg, bmw x5 4.8i all pushing about 350 n plus HP, compare to the rx300 or rx330. give me some feed backs there only two months left for this year.. i wanna start a new project for 2006 and try to save some money up to do this .
just curious can i see a pic of the rx you want to turbo ?? also the rx has tranny problems whoever said they will hold 400hp thats crap they have serious failures with the stock engine 175 ?hp to the wheels however it would be different i wouldnt do it it will be major driveline issues. please post a pic of your rx thanks
Old 11-08-05, 03:42 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Lexmex,
RX400h's quarter mile is 15.2s @92mph. The Hydrid is heavy with batteries and additional electrical drive components. What is your best quarter mile at sea level?

Unorthodox Racing has a crank pulley for the MDX, I am surprised that they have not listed any application for 1MZFE based cars. Works by gaining HP to the wheels by reducing parasitic effort, very similiar concept to lighter rim/tires. Except the weight is reduced at the crank instead at the wheels.
This is a picture of UR Ultra S for my Acura, (same part number as the MDX), weight only 2 lbs since it is aluminum, Acura stock (steel) is 7lbs. Nice things is that the gain are across entire RPM band but you do need new belts (different size if underdrive). I have it over a year and no problems. Exhaust increase noise, intake kisses, pulley is quiet.
www.unorthodoxracing.com
Attached Thumbnails twin turbo?-pulley.jpg  
Old 11-09-05, 11:33 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Have never raced my RX at sea level but plan to in December. Another option is going out to Veracruz, but their 1/4 mile track is not always open (when they feel like it).

It is quite amazing given the number of RX300s sold that we are outmodded by other less selling luxury SUVs.

The 400 hp figure is the max tolerance that tranny could take, not that you would want to do it 24/7. I second you on the RX having a bad tranny. A Toyota mechanic down here who looked at it once remarked how similar it looked like the one on the RAV4 when we did an alignment.
Old 11-10-05, 04:38 AM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

If you have the funds, go for it!!
Old 11-11-05, 12:27 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

One thing that you will need is an engine managment system if you decide to go a turbo or supercharger route otherwise you will get check engine lights galore. One guy who offered to do the turbo install told me that the Greddy eManage unit would be the way to go at the current time. I may install one of these things with my current mods once I am back at sea level.
Old 11-14-05, 01:05 PM
Sully C5er
Rookie

Just curious...but why mod an SUV? I have never seen one at the track I run (Road Atlanta). Or is this for street bragging rights???

Quick Reply: twin turbo?