RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Brake Warning Light Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-05, 07:26 AM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Warning Light Problem

Hey everyone,

I have a brake warning light problem. Its the same light that comes on when I put on my parking brake. If I make a sharp turn the warning light comes on and stays on for a few mins. Nothing really happens, but it is disconcerning.

I searched and it is possible that the brake fluid is low. My question is could Highlander brake fluid be used? (I assume it is the same stuff) If so I will drop by the Toyota dealership on the way home.

Is it Toyota Type IV? I have some of that in my garage still.

Thanks all!
Michael
Old 11-09-05, 08:48 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Type IV is for transmission, do not use it for your brakes. See the picture of the brake fliud pouring into the fluid reservior in this link https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185967
Pop the hood, locate the reservior for your car, and check the fluid level. If it is below "low", go to your Autozone or Pepboys and ask the clerk to show you DOT3 or 4 brake fluid. Just twist open the fluid reservior cap and fill it up to "max".
Old 11-09-05, 08:57 AM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

Drive through your Lex dealership. I think the service is complementary.

Keep a eye out for leaks. It is normal for the fluid to drop in level to compensate for the wear of the pads. I would suggest examine the thickness of the pads as well [next time you take your RX for service, ask the service writer to check and report brake pad status].

Salim
Old 11-09-05, 12:58 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Hey guys thanks for all the tips!

I'm in Canada so our Pep Boys equivalent is Canadian Tire. I'd still prefer to goto a Toyota dealership. I wouldn't mind paying a bit extra. I will check under the hood soon though (been raining here for a while).

The brakes are okay. They were squeaking for a bit so with the last oil change they checked it out ($60) and told me they were still over 50%.

I will keep you updated!

Michael
Old 11-10-05, 02:18 PM
docfnky
Rookie

did you know that you can use urine if there's no brake fluid available? querky fact...but yea, just check the brake fluid level, if it's fine then it could just be the sensor is getting stuck.
Old 11-10-05, 04:24 PM
salimshah

This adds a new dimension ot the term "pissed off".

Seriously what is the boiling point of urine? May be realtive specific density makes it usable only and only if urine floats on TOP of brake fluid and the urine is just going to stay in the master cylender.

Salim
Old 11-10-05, 04:37 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by docfnky
did you know that you can use urine if there's no brake fluid available? querky fact...but yea, just check the brake fluid level, if it's fine then it could just be the sensor is getting stuck.
I would love to see the picture of you aiming for the reservior while standing on top of the hot engine.
Make sure no bad aim to the HID electical parts or your important part will be fried.
On topic, you never want water to be in the brake fluid, it lowered the boiling temperature.
Old 11-17-05, 11:21 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Hi All!

I finally had time to go to the dealership to buy some brake fluid. My engine bay was too dirty and I couldn't read which resevoir was for the brake fluid, so I went into the dealership and checked out the engine bay of a Camry. Bought the fluid, filled her up (it was right on the "low" line) and I haven't had the problem since!

Thanks for all of your help!

I also sat in a IS250 AWD Metallic Red. At first I wasn't too attracted to the vehicle (magazines, internet etc), but after seeing in person... It is a sex machine! (excuse my language) The paint is SUPERB and the interior is second to none! You guys should really check it out! (Even if its for the sake of looking at it)
Old 11-18-05, 11:37 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Congratulations, do yourself a favor to flush your old brake fluid out. More likely your brake fluid is never changed, just google you will find out your brake fluid does not last forever. IMHO, brake fluid is more important than engine oil. I would rather have marginally performing engine than a marginal performing brake.
Old 12-18-05, 06:52 AM
radhead25
Driver School Candidate

Default brake warning light on dashboard

hello all, i have a brake warning light that keeps going on and off. It is the same BRAKE light that you would use for parking. I had a winter special done previously and had all fluids be flushed and filled. So it is not a brake fuild problem. I mention this to the dealer and they say it probably needs a reset. They reset it and also mention that I need new rear pads and rotors. I declined to do the rear pads and rotors. I then drove the car with no brake warning lights for a good 4 hrs. I then park the car and leave it overnight for a good 8 hrs. I start the car and the light is on again. I was told by people and i did some researching on this website and other website that BRAKE light has NOTHING to do with changing brake pads and rotors. It is a brake fluid issue and in which i do not have. Or maybe it is leaking? I know I need new brake pads and rotors. I just want the darn BRAKE light to go away. I need help!!!
Old 12-18-05, 07:37 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The Brake System Warning Light, with the ignition key ON, is active when the brake fluid is low or the parking brake is applied. This is from your owners manual.
Either the parking brake is not fully restoring to it's stop... Check with your hand and observe with a flashlight the operation of the pedal arm at it's upper limit.
...or...
The brake fluid is low in the resevoir, sensed by the float installed in the rubber cap. That's what the two wires on the cap are for. If one wire is broken and just touching itself, the light will act as it does, even if the fluid level is correct. Move just the wires at the cap while someone monitors the lamp to go out. Be carefull not the get any dust or dirt in the resevoir while checking. Clean off very carefully prior to removing lid.
Old 12-18-05, 07:52 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by Tammy
The Brake System Warning Light, with the ignition key ON, is active when the brake fluid is low or the parking brake is applied. This is from your owners manual.
Either the parking brake is not fully restoring to it's stop... Check with your hand and observe with a flashlight the operation of the pedal arm at it's upper limit.
...or...
The brake fluid is low in the resevoir, sensed by the float installed in the rubber cap. That's what the two wires on the cap are for. If one wire is broken and just touching itself, the light will act as it does, even if the fluid level is correct. Move just the wires at the cap while someone monitors the lamp to go out. Be carefull not the get any dust or dirt in the resevoir while checking. Clean off very carefully prior to removing lid.
Exellent post!

radhead25, try engaging the auxillary brake [foot break instead of hand- brake] fully and disengage it all the way.

Also check the fluid level senseor and wiring connectors.

Salim