RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Picked up an RX300...time to start modding!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-05, 09:12 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Picked up an RX300...time to start modding!

What's up guys and gals, been driving my SC for a long time now (6 years) and finally picked up another Lexus for road trips and snowboarding purposes

Had her for about a month or so now and these are the mods I have on it so far and a list of some things to come...
-black taillights
-JDM window visors (in the mail)
-q45 headlight retrofit (need spare headlights to work with)

It's an 01 RX300 silversport AWD with navi + hids.
I'll be browsing this section more frequently now

Old 12-04-05, 10:20 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome, if you are into light, you can get clear sidemarkers off ebay and install LEDs inside them.
Old 12-05-05, 08:32 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Now I know what those black lights are going to look like.

My 99 RX is painted to look like the Silversport but has all the badges removed on the back and then we repainted. The only thing I lack is the lights and the newer spoiler (I sold my 99 spoiler to my cousin who put it on his black 95 Golf VR6 )

What a beautiful car
Old 12-05-05, 08:36 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
Welcome, if you are into light, you can get clear sidemarkers off ebay and install LEDs inside them.
Tuned, I was looking at the TTE site today and if I am not mistaken the European RXs must not have side lights.

See, http://www.tte.de/cm_lexus_RX300_XU1.htm

I wonder if there would be a state inspection issue in the states with going to that type of look.
Old 12-05-05, 09:54 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Tuned, I was looking at the TTE site today and if I am not mistaken the European RXs must not have side lights.

See, http://www.tte.de/cm_lexus_RX300_XU1.htm

I wonder if there would be a state inspection issue in the states with going to that type of look.
Lexmex, as far as I am aware, sidermarkers are optional in the states. For clear sidemarkers, you must have orange LED up front and red LED in the rear. You can not emit blue and white light from sidemarkers legally.
I have clear sidemarkers and 5 LED bulbs, so the light and bulb are clear during day light but will emit orange/red when I turn on the lights.
You can get smoked taillight from ProCarParts for $199 plus shipping.

Last edited by TunedRX300; 12-05-05 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-05-05, 10:21 AM
LiqrSicc
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ACleanSC4
What's up guys and gals, been driving my SC for a long time now (6 years) and finally picked up another Lexus for road trips and snowboarding purposes

Had her for about a month or so now and these are the mods I have on it so far and a list of some things to come...
-black taillights

cant wait to see those headlights on there. I have the same tailights too. I was planning to take apart the headlights and paint the inside to match my tail lights too.
Old 12-05-05, 11:04 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Tuned,

Maybe I will have my uncle dump the sidemarkers and cover them up and repaint on the fenders (they need repainting anyway with all the dingbats who back into my RX). I end up doing touch up with a Sharpie marker. I was going to do some painting in January (after the rain permanently gets out of here). I also noticed some pictures of Harriers without the sidelights.

Another mod I was thinking about for my RX was more aerodynamic side mirrors. I see a lot of guys at the track folding in their mirrors (I have done this for fun in pre-track opening runs but no gain), but it made me wonder about something more aesthetically pleasing.

L-Tuned had some designs from Abflug and Junction Produce, but I was hoping to get something less expensive. Would these even fit right on an RX. Any ideas?

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=162

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=1805

BTW, our track regulations require that you have at least one mirror open. Sometimes I have to man the staging lights at our track as a courtesy when we are shorthanded and I can't tell you how many times I have to tell people to do this. You definitely want your mirrors open and put wide on bracket races to see where the other car is and if you have to brake to avoid breaking out of your set bracket time.

My next mods are probably going to be in this order:

KYB GR-2 Shocks
TTE Lowering Springs (Eibachs are nice but I want something different)
Slotted Rotors (Rotora...I like drilled but a lot of track buddies said Slotted was better for them)
Headers (custom made, but I may have to wait until the middle of next year...a shop called Hangar 1 that did my exhaust work will have such a machine and for half of the cost I have already been quoted)
Rims (Racing Hart is number 1 on my list...but I really am just looking to cut weight and there are other options for less price thany $1,600 USD for a set of 4)
Tires (surprise...I want to keep my 16 inch tires, but lower the sidewall (likely going back to 225-(45 to 55)-16) Michelin Pilot Sport is my first option.

Thus, my RX will be really low at some future point, but the lower center of gravity will be most welcome.
Old 12-05-05, 12:05 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Thanks for the compliments buddies!
The taillights were from LuxuryMods.com. They had them in stock and got them quickly!

The headlights will be worked on as soon as I get a spare set of headlights to work with, then I'll have my stock HID ones for sale...

I also just bought these off eBay...They look a lot better than the other diamond cut ones i've seen..
Old 12-05-05, 01:53 PM
StrmRdr23
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ACleanSC4

-black taillights

welcome to rx land! man, them taillights look good on the black body! i considered doing the q45 headlight conversion as well. do you think you could post pics of your process? that would kick a lot of *ss, man!
Old 12-05-05, 02:42 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Tuned,

L-Tuned had some designs from Abflug and Junction Produce, but I was hoping to get something less expensive. Would these even fit right on an RX. Any ideas?

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=162

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=1805

My next mods are probably going to be in this order:

KYB GR-2 Shocks
TTE Lowering Springs (Eibachs are nice but I want something different)
Slotted Rotors (Rotora...I like drilled but a lot of track buddies said Slotted was better for them)
Headers (custom made, but I may have to wait until the middle of next year...a shop called Hangar 1 that did my exhaust work will have such a machine and for half of the cost I have already been quoted)
Rims (Racing Hart is number 1 on my list...but I really am just looking to cut weight and there are other options for less price thany $1,600 USD for a set of 4)
Tires (surprise...I want to keep my 16 inch tires, but lower the sidewall (likely going back to 225-(45 to 55)-16) Michelin Pilot Sport is my first option.

Thus, my RX will be really low at some future point, but the lower center of gravity will be most welcome.
Mirrors are nice but for that price and installation probably is more than what I paid this weekend for a set of used forged SSR Competion 18 inches rims. Rims will gives you better performance for the $.
BTW, stock shocks are KYB so unless the mexico roads wear out your shocks already, maybe you won't see that big of ride quality.

Slotted rotors are preferred in racing because cross-drilled holes introduce many stress points for rotors to crack, especially during repeated high speed braking. But if holes are cast instead of drilled, there is no sacrifice to rotor's structure integrity. x-drilled holes dissappate heat better due to larger surface areas but at the expense of having less capacity to store heat (vs slotted). But it is also lighter and have less unsprung weight for a given size. In fact, serious racers often get the smallest brake to meet their braking needs because bigger brakes for the same design hurt performance.
We can talks about forged calipers, two piece vs one piece, ss brake lines, and size of BBK probably in another thread or via PM.
Old 12-05-05, 02:57 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I have been looking to dump my existing shocks for some time. I busted one of them a few years ago climbing up the Nevado de Toluca (an extinct 15,000 foot volcano where you can drive into the crater) and replaced both of my fronts.

I think with the mirror I can probably get something down here. They copy designs left and right. My cousin with Golf VR6 got a $400 USD MOMO steering wheel, but when we showed up at the track last week, we found many Golfs with counterfeit versions costing only $110 USD.

I have actually seen cracked drilled rotors at a racetrack day we had a few weeks ago...not a pretty sight.

I switched my brake fluid to Ford Heavy Duty as it had a higher boiling point than my Valvoline and my buddy with the RX7 has found his brakes have lasted much longer than the stuff he was using before, Motul. I think the wet boiling point is the only drawback, but it is easy with my uncle to drain and bleed a few times a year.

I go nuts thinking about mods.
Old 12-06-05, 10:14 AM
anulex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do they make the silversport or coach edition in 4wd?
Old 12-06-05, 12:55 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by anulex
do they make the silversport or coach edition in 4wd?
i have the silversport in awd, 4wd, however you want to say it
Old 12-06-05, 01:24 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

9 LED wedge bulbs are great to replace stock coutesy lights on front doors, and parking lights inside head lights. I have blue for coutesy lights and they looks sweet at night. Hyper white LED matches well with HID. 9 LED are also brighter than stock bulbs and last longer.
Old 12-06-05, 04:43 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

links to those items? I haven't had any great luck finding bright LED's for my SC...standard wedge bulbs appeared brighter for me.

Quick Reply: Picked up an RX300...time to start modding!