RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

76K transmission died

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-05, 08:14 PM
RayN
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 76K transmission died

Tranny finally died today. Car won't move at all. Car in neutral, ignition key in start position, and parking brake not engagem tried to push using my Sequoia gently, doesn't move at all. The tranny was lock.

Called Lexus Care and they walk me ressetting the tranny. It works for about 50 ft. and it won't move again. Called Lexus Care again for a tow truck they said two truck will be there in 20-30 minutes. After an hour called Lexus Care again, about tow truck is not here yet, so they said another hour. After an hour again, no tow truck, called Lexus Care and they said another hour again. Finally, tow truck arrived 45 minutes after the last call. I'm so dissapointed how Lexus Care handle my situation.

So, the car is in the Lexus dealer and I will find out tomorrow. It's good I still have my warranty left till 100K or 4/06.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=188657
Old 12-15-05, 11:36 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,106 Likes on 995 Posts

Sorry to hear that it seems like the transmission is out.

If possible can you post the steps to reset the transmission.

The tow stuff may be out of Lexus hands. Essentially the tow business is independant owners who respond to a call and lock the slot. The dispatcher may over-commit without rousing a actual tow truck. Do provide feedback to Lexus to help weed out the non-reponsive companies.

Is your RX an AWD or FWD model?

Salim
Old 12-16-05, 06:14 AM
RayN
Driver

It's AWD.
Just talk to Lexus Care, they will cover the tranny replacement. I'm just waiting for a phone call from the dealer for their diagnost ($115).
Old 12-16-05, 07:19 AM
RayN
Driver

Just talk to service (dealer) and they confirm that the tranny is died. The good thing, it is covered under Lexus Warranty and the bad thing they are giving me a enterprise rental ($33 a day for max. 5 days) because that what is covered on my warranty. Also, they have to order the tranny, they don't have them it stock. It might be delivered on Monday to the dealer.
Old 12-16-05, 09:35 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

This is where you need to get back with the customer care. Explain that you are counting on an alternate trasportation and the normal transmission swap time is less that 5 days. If lexus does not have the part(s) on hand, it really should not be a cuase of aggravation to you. If you have the lexus extended warranty, they should be able to help. If it is third party warranty, customer care may not be able to help. In that case talk to your service writer and brain storm.

On transmissions dying prematurely, If we only we can narrow down the failing part or transmission type [awd vs fwd] .....

Salim
Old 12-16-05, 10:15 AM
03RX300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Man,, Sorry to hear of your problem,, I bought this, my 1st Lexus because I drive 35K miles a year in sales, I bought it for its "dependability" IF this car cant hack it, I will really be dissapointed, big time, now I am worried
Old 12-16-05, 12:24 PM
RayN
Driver

Pick up the rental and Lexus been using this enterprise. Parts, labor, rental covered by the warranty. Enterprise rep mentioned that this is the second time of the week that a tranny of RX300 died. A RX300 owner pick up a rental earlier of the week due to tranny failure that is covered by his/her warranty.

Anyone know if the new tranny will be more reliable?

Resetting the tranny (by Lexus Care):
Open the small cover by the gear, close to the P position (reset tranny buttom).
Start the car.
Press on the brake pedal.
Press and hold the reset button, move the gear to R or D.
Then release the brake pedal and gas.
Old 12-16-05, 01:12 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Default wtf

the damn tranny again What the heck is wrong with the design?
Old 12-16-05, 03:50 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by RayN
Pick up the rental and Lexus been using this enterprise. Parts, labor, rental covered by the warranty. Enterprise rep mentioned that this is the second time of the week that a tranny of RX300 died. A RX300 owner pick up a rental earlier of the week due to tranny failure that is covered by his/her warranty.

Anyone know if the new tranny will be more reliable?

Resetting the tranny (by Lexus Care):
Open the small cover by the gear, close to the P position (reset tranny buttom).
Start the car.
Press on the brake pedal.
Press and hold the reset button, move the gear to R or D.
Then release the brake pedal and gas.
Ahh the above procedure is if the transmission shift lever fails to move out of Park. [There is an interlock that requires that brake be pressed before the gear can be moved out of park].

Salim
Old 12-17-05, 05:49 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Ahh the above procedure is if the transmission shift lever fails to move out of Park. [There is an interlock that requires that brake be pressed before the gear can be moved out of park].

Salim
There may be more to this procedure than just the shift lever moving out of park. The shift lever was already in neutral, but after performing the procedure he was able to move 50 ft. Good to know, like if your trans fails and you just need to move off the road.
Old 12-19-05, 02:36 PM
iharrack
Driver School Candidate

Default 1999 RX300 Tranny died too 12/16/05

I just had my transmission died on me on 12/16/05 it was at 120K miles for a RX300.
The odd thing about this whole thing is 10 days ago i did the 30K maintainence check, where they changed my transmission fluid. The dealership is quoting me $4700 to rebuild the engine.
I religiously go to the dealership and keep up with my maint services and find this odd.
They are reluctant to investigate why it broke. said it's taking to much man hours.

I have a called in to the dealership and left a message with the customer service center to see what they are planning on doing.
The best offer I have is they are will to pay 1000 of it, but I just came out of 634.00 two weeks ago so in reality it's only 370 they are will to put towards it.
Old 12-19-05, 03:12 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by iharrack
I just had my transmission died on me on 12/16/05 it was at 120K miles for a RX300.
The odd thing about this whole thing is 10 days ago i did the 30K maintainence check, where they changed my transmission fluid. The dealership is quoting me $4700 to rebuild the engine.
I religiously go to the dealership and keep up with my maint services and find this odd.
They are reluctant to investigate why it broke. said it's taking to much man hours.

I have a called in to the dealership and left a message with the customer service center to see what they are planning on doing.
The best offer I have is they are will to pay 1000 of it, but I just came out of 634.00 two weeks ago so in reality it's only 370 they are will to put towards it.
Dealership serviced the tranmission, and the transmission is shot. This requires the engine to be rebuilt [Is there a a typo?]

Did you happen to check the trans-fluid level before you turned the vehicle over to dealership[overfill or underfill]? Any droppings in your driveway[leaks]? If the failure is due to dealership negligence, they need to eat up the cost.

Also please list if your RX300 is AWD/FWD.

Salim
Old 12-19-05, 03:30 PM
iharrack
Driver School Candidate

Default Transmission died RX 300 1999 just had 30k service

I meant to say I was quoted $4700 for a rebuilt transmission.
I have a 1999 RX300 FWD Vin# JT6GF10UXX0012549

I dont normally check the fluids. I did not notice any leakings in my garage or at work where I usually park my car.

I recenlty placed a call to customer service to see what they can do for me.
Old 12-20-05, 11:27 AM
RayN
Driver

Service advisor just call me and the RX is ready. They also replace the flex pipe which I'm aware that it was crack by not letting them know . I asked the service advisor if I can have my old tranny back and she said if they don't have to ship my old tranny back to Lexus, she's willing to give it to me.
Old 12-20-05, 11:49 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

It would be great if you can get the transmission back but very unlikely as they are fixed and turned around. If you buy/given the core, it would have cost lots of $$. If Lexus is providing a warranty service (you pay nothing or next to nothing)... it is very unlikely that you will get the old transmission.

If you get the "No" answer, please pursue and ask for root cause/failing part as they do post-mortum.

Although we wish that Lexus be transparent, but again it is expecting too much. If enough folks have done indendant repairs .. where they actually find the failing part, that would be the smoking gun. Unfortunately more than a few lone cases would need to be discovered to make a case of bad design.

Salim

Quick Reply: 76K transmission died