RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Brake pads/rotors

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-05, 10:02 AM
vp911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pads/rotors

Last time I had my RX in for service the service sheet showed 7mm front and 8mm rear. I am trying to get out of my lease on the RX (swapalease.com) and somebody asked me about the brakes and rotors. About when should the rotors and brakes be replaced? How much should it cost? If it is not going to be a ton and they need to be done soon, I can just get them done before handing over the lease.
Old 12-18-05, 10:46 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

How do the rotors feel?

Take the car up to speed on a highway and then on the off ramp, brake a little harder than normal...do you feel any vibration?...if so you should probably just get them machined as opposed to replaced.

Given my racing, I have to have them machined every year, but last year I replaced my fronts after they had some burn marks. I probably abuse them more than anyone I know, so that should give you a good idea.
Old 12-18-05, 12:30 PM
salimshah

Received 1,081 Likes on 973 Posts

Originally Posted by vp911
Last time I had my RX in for service the service sheet showed 7mm front and 8mm rear. I am trying to get out of my lease on the RX (swapalease.com) and somebody asked me about the brakes and rotors. About when should the rotors and brakes be replaced? How much should it cost? If it is not going to be a ton and they need to be done soon, I can just get them done before handing over the lease.
If you dont mind some grease under your nails and have the knack, there are DIY instructions floating around [do a search] on how to replace the pads. Note it would be a burden on your concience if you dont know what you are doing and still proceed to do the DIY and sell your vehicle. Brakes are very important in prevention of an accident.

Disk need replacement/resurfacing is slightly difficult to answere. Clearly they need repalcement once enough material has been removed. The only 2 reasons to re-surace (turn) the rotors are when there is deep ruts (gouging ... pads were not replaced soon enough) or the surface is no longer flat (warp ... culrprit is heat [dissipation] or torsion). The heat based warping becomes worse after the disc has been turned [thinner material].

Shops generally prefer pad replacement as as well as truning the disc. One motive is to maximize profit but the other is more legit where they dont want the customer to come back with complaints and either eat the labor cost of taking the pad work (done the second time) or pass it back to the customer.

Since I do the DIY, I am willing to take the thing apart the second time on my own time. For the last 20 years, I have not had the need to have the discs turned. I attribute this to the fact that I torque the wheel nuts properly and replace the pads at the right time. Also I dont push my vehicles to the extreme [may be a few quick starts, but mostly controll the slowing by the throttle as oppsed to quick starts and sharp stops].

Why not adjust the price and let the perspective owner take care of it to his/her satisfaction.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 12-18-05 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-18-05, 12:33 PM
vp911
Intermediate

As far as taking the RX on the hwy, I did, no problems noticed.

Salim - Thanks for your response, I would rather just adjust the price and let the buyer deal with it; however, I don't know how much it will cost for him to have it done. Is it a hundred bucks or is it $500? I really have no idea
Old 12-18-05, 03:52 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

As far as taking the RX on the hwy, I did, no problems noticed.

Salim - Thanks for your response, I would rather just adjust the price and let the buyer deal with it; however, I don't know how much it will cost for him to have it done. Is it a hundred bucks or is it $500? I really have no idea
Dealer, $1000 both pads, rotors,and labor. DIY $400 on rotors and pads.
Old 12-18-05, 05:57 PM
steevr
Pole Position

Just had my front brakes done at 41,000 miles. $400 at Lexus which included pads and turning the rotors. You shouldn't need new rotors unless they are in really bad shape.

For what it's worth, my rotors have been turned twice....once at 15,000 because they got warped and were causing shimmy when braking. The second time during the brakejob. They still feel like new.
Old 12-18-05, 06:16 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Hey Vik, although I don't know the exact thickness of the pads on the RX brand new, 7mm seems to be well within 50% wear. So, given this and the fact that you have no brake pulsation, I don't think you need to touch the brakes or discount the price.
Old 12-19-05, 04:26 PM
vp911
Intermediate

Originally Posted by caha14
Hey Vik, although I don't know the exact thickness of the pads on the RX brand new, 7mm seems to be well within 50% wear. So, given this and the fact that you have no brake pulsation, I don't think you need to touch the brakes or discount the price.

Thanks!

I did call the Lexus and Toyota dealers Lexus wanted 700 for front and rear. Toyota wanted 380 for both. But you are right, I asked and he said they are above 50% wear.
Old 12-23-05, 10:43 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I just did he brake job myself. I only did the front, as these get 90% of the wear. The pads cost me around $50 from Sewell Lexus, and I had the rotors turned at a parts/tire store for $15. It took me about 2 hours or less to do the job with simple tools. Most places will charge anything from $100-$200.
Old 12-23-05, 10:47 AM
vp911
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DDLexus
I just did he brake job myself. I only did the front, as these get 90% of the wear. The pads cost me around $50 from Sewell Lexus, and I had the rotors turned at a parts/tire store for $15. It took me about 2 hours or less to do the job with simple tools. Most places will charge anything from $100-$200.

Thanks for everybodys input. I actually came to an agreement with the dealer to trade in the RX300 for an RX330 and to buy an IS350 at the same time.