RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

rx300 hid upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-05, 05:18 AM
skippy911
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rx300 hid upgrade

Hi all,

I have a regular set of halogens on my rx300 and want to go on and purchase the oem hid lights, with ballasts and all. My question is, can these lights plug into my factory wiring harness or is there changes that need to be done. I have a 2000 rx300 fwd.

Thanks!
Old 12-21-05, 07:59 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

yes there are some minor wiring changes. we have a 2000 rx with HID's from a later model. it's not quite plug and play.

when i had them done awhile back i found all the information i needed when i used the search option here...
Old 12-21-05, 01:06 PM
skippy911
Driver

Hi Benjamin,

Thanks for your reply. I did use the search function and was also directed to the rx300 section of this site by someone in the lighting forum who also said he could not find any information on upgrading to the oem hids for the rx300. Could you possibly point me in the right direction? I may be a newbie on this forum but deffinetly not to forums and searching. I did my best and now need some help thanks
Old 12-21-05, 01:12 PM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

i will try to find it for you later... sorry the **** is hitting the fan here at work because of low holiday staffing and i'm covering for 3 other people right now before i go on holiday next week
Old 12-22-05, 07:51 AM
skippy911
Driver

Ok thats no problem just when ever you can get a chance I would appreciate it
Old 01-31-06, 05:30 AM
skippy911
Driver

Hey anyone know how to hook up oem hids to a rx300 without them?
Old 01-31-06, 09:46 AM
salimshah

Received 1,080 Likes on 972 Posts

To give a gross but close enough analagy, electrically the diffrence is wiring for incandacent (fillament) light bulb and florecent (tube) light.

You need to add a ballast and the bulb needs to be driven by ballast. A good kit should be plug and play (you disconnect the bulb, connect the ballast umbilical into the bulb plug, insert the new bulb and connect the other umbilical from the ballast, fasten the ballast on the chasis). No cut no splicing. One for each side.

I have not done the change and intend not to do it, as a proper HID must include self levelling mechanism (which only comes with a factory installed HID). It is safety related issue, and I dont intend to compromise on it.

[By the way the above is my personal stand on HIDs and I have found most dont agree with me. Almost like .. to me 2001 should be the year the millinium changed but most think it is 2000]

Salim
Old 01-31-06, 10:46 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
To give a gross but close enough analagy, electrically the diffrence is wiring for incandacent (fillament) light bulb and florecent (tube) light.

You need to add a ballast and the bulb needs to be driven by ballast. A good kit should be plug and play (you disconnect the bulb, connect the ballast umbilical into the bulb plug, insert the new bulb and connect the other umbilical from the ballast, fasten the ballast on the chasis). No cut no splicing. One for each side.

I have not done the change and intend not to do it, as a proper HID must include self levelling mechanism (which only comes with a factory installed HID). It is safety related issue, and I dont intend to compromise on it.

[By the way the above is my personal stand on HIDs and I have found most dont agree with me. Almost like .. to me 2001 should be the year the millinium changed but most think it is 2000]

Salim
Just one question, why wouldn't auto leveling be a standard safety feature for Halogen high beam?
Old 01-31-06, 11:45 AM
skippy911
Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah

Salim
Im not talking about a kit I wanted to know if it is possible to hook a rx300 oem hid lights to a car without oem hids and if so how. I know a ballast and bulb is needed.
Old 01-31-06, 02:50 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
Just one question, why wouldn't auto leveling be a standard safety feature for Halogen high beam?
I agree "Halogen high beams" are also blinding for the on-comming drivers. Once can expect good drivers to flick the stalk to regular beam pattern when they see/know on-comming trafic. This still allows one to drive with non-hi beam on.

To be fair a poorly adjusted low-beam hallogens can be blinding too. The self levelling is also has a lag and is not instantanious.

I love HIDs and enjoy them on the GS

Salim
[I dont want to sound as if I am preaching. sorry guys!]
Old 01-31-06, 03:00 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by skippy911
Im not talking about a kit I wanted to know if it is possible to hook a rx300 oem hid lights to a car without oem hids and if so how. I know a ballast and bulb is needed.
Better qualifed are who have done the change, my guess:

1. Bulb housing are different (HID-OEM) have a motor to tilt bulb.
2. Harness are different (non-hidOEM) have a connector at the bulb.
3. You will have to build mini-harness to go from the bulb to ballast and back to the new bulb.
4. May have to jury rig the mounting location of ballast.
5. May require a home run from ballast to fuse box/battery.

In short can be done.

Out of curosity, why not go with an after market kit? Good kits have all the things worked out for you, down to the right value of fuse.

Salim
Old 01-31-06, 04:01 PM
skippy911
Driver

I figured the oem hid would have the best light pattern / cutoff but if a kit will do just as well I will go with that. Its alot cheaper for a kit I know that much
Old 02-03-06, 12:41 PM
edgy
Lead Lap

there has to be a HID kit for these bulbs not specificlly for the CAR perse....but just like the kit i got for my OEM IS300 Fog lights,.. .the kit i used is like described above.. ."plug & play" unplug the wiring harness plug connector to the OEM bulb, fog light ... remove the bulb.. .Plug the HID ballast wiring harness into the BULB plug on the Car's wiring harness... & then pop the HID bulb into the Fog light, connect the HID wiring harness plugs to the new HID bulb & finally mount the HID ballast parts securely. BAM you are done...

he issues are determining the BULB TYOE for the OEM Halopgens .. .probasbly a 9006 or 9005...?

I KNOW there are "9006" bulb type HID kits available in many places... witha kit like this it wil lbe Plug & Play
I dont know if there would really be an issue with leveling as noted before halogens are bright & can blind & evidently they dont need a leveling system...

& on my IS the ENTIRE internal reflector part of the headlight moves not the bulb..

expect these HID aftermarket kits to cost anywhere from 350 to 500 unless you find a steal..