RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Did my 1st oil change

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-06, 06:33 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 03RX300
Going to do my front brakes soon too, the pads look a little thin w/22k miles on them, but I will order the parts ahead of time (www.irontoad.com) and then pull the wheel and check them first.)
Check with Sewell Lexus. I just compared IronToad with Sewell (ising the CL Discount) and found a better deal. Saved about $10.
Old 01-10-06, 08:10 AM
shawnst
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil filter wrench size

is there a specific size of oil filter wrench that I need to look for? I bought a Micro oil filter (the brand name is Micro, made in Japan), and I couldn't find an oil filter wrench that fits it. Thanks for any advice.
Old 01-10-06, 09:02 AM
louiee_g
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by shawnst
is there a specific size of oil filter wrench that I need to look for? I bought a Micro oil filter (the brand name is Micro, made in Japan), and I couldn't find an oil filter wrench that fits it. Thanks for any advice.
The only one i found that fits is at the toyota dealer. Be sure to bring a filter in with you because they have 2 filter wrenches that are very similarly sized....probably a couple mm difference. the wrong one will fit the RX filter as if correct, but won't grip when you try to turn the wrench.
Old 01-10-06, 09:58 PM
BOWTIE 3
Driver

Default RX Maint.

Instead of paying for the Lexus RX300 manuals, just get the Haynes Camry manual [ about $15.00 ] for the same years. Except for the AWD info, just about everything else is the same.
Old 01-11-06, 06:21 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Originally Posted by louiee_g
The only one i found that fits is at the toyota dealer. Be sure to bring a filter in with you because they have 2 filter wrenches that are very similarly sized....probably a couple mm difference. the wrong one will fit the RX filter as if correct, but won't grip when you try to turn the wrench.
I found one at WalMart for about $3.50. Its fits about 7 or 8 different filter sizes. I brought my RX filter into the store and made sure it fit. This filter also was designed to work with the ratchet for removal and installation. Make sure you have the 3inch extension too!
Old 01-11-06, 06:40 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Picked up mine at Pep Boys for $5. It is a "Ritefit" brand... Type "E" #2574. If your using a non toyota filter, you'll need to match the filter to the cap wrench at the store. I also noted a brand made of plastic, but they didn't seem strong enough for me. Also $5.
Old 01-11-06, 11:37 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fern
Never change from synthetic to dino since synthetics have properties which clean as they lubricate. By going to dino oil you are introducing the possibility of particles which over time will contaminate what the synthetic has been working so hard to clean.

Anyone who has been using conventional dino and then went to synthetic can verify the first few oil changes are black, since the synthetic is washing away the sludge-like particles the dino left behind... Why anyone would go back to dino is beyond me.

(whats the saying... "once you go synthetic, you don't go back !LOL!")

Synthetic blend is not just mixing a bottle of synthetic with dino, its much more complicated than that.
On my classic car forum this old wive's tale pops up regularly. ALL engine oil cleans ast it lubricates! The significant advantage to Mobil 1 and other top quality synthetics is their ability to resist shearing or molecular breakdown. According to a report in Consumers Reports (IIRC) there isn't any significant difference in lubricating properties of any modern oil, synthetics included. The difference, if any, is in their ability to withstand tougher driving conditions and produce less sludge that other oils. OTH, if you change your oil religiously along with your filter you can use any modern oil. Do yourselves a favor and read up on oils before you decide to use or not use synthetics. Btw, I use synthetics in my cars because they cause less wear and tear at start up because they can be picked up and pumped a bit easier when extremely cold. Better flowing means better lubricating when cold.

Gary
Old 01-13-06, 08:09 AM
mmahamm
Driver

Originally Posted by 03RX300
I drive a ton of Interstate miles (sales) so I usually change the oil at 6K miles, I will probably will stay at that, this way I will have 6 oil changes in a year.
Doesn't Lexus recommend every 5K? I agree that 6K is sufficient, but following manufacturer's recommendations can save headaches in the long run, and doing it at 5K rather than 6K only costs 17% more $ over time. If you are DIY, that's cheap insurance.
Old 01-13-06, 09:16 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmahamm
Doesn't Lexus recommend every 5K? I agree that 6K is sufficient, but following manufacturer's recommendations can save headaches in the long run, and doing it at 5K rather than 6K only costs 17% more $ over time. If you are DIY, that's cheap insurance.
Lexus recommends every 7500 for normal use. Check your owners manual.
Old 01-13-06, 09:28 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Grumpa72
On my classic car forum this old wive's tale pops up regularly. ALL engine oil cleans ast it lubricates! The significant advantage to Mobil 1 and other top quality synthetics is their ability to resist shearing or molecular breakdown. According to a report in Consumers Reports (IIRC) there isn't any significant difference in lubricating properties of any modern oil, synthetics included. The difference, if any, is in their ability to withstand tougher driving conditions and produce less sludge that other oils. OTH, if you change your oil religiously along with your filter you can use any modern oil. Do yourselves a favor and read up on oils before you decide to use or not use synthetics. Btw, I use synthetics in my cars because they cause less wear and tear at start up because they can be picked up and pumped a bit easier when extremely cold. Better flowing means better lubricating when cold.

Gary
Gary, good post. Sums up very well.
Old 01-17-06, 08:34 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Originally Posted by mikey00
Lexus recommends every 7500 for normal use. Check your owners manual.
Personally, I'd change at some more traditional interval like 5,000 miles or 6 months. The RX engine is prone to engine sluge and a regular oil change will reduce or eliminate this from happening. At least that was what I was told after Lexus swapped out my engine after just 49k miles last year.
Old 01-17-06, 10:26 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DDLexus
Personally, I'd change at some more traditional interval like 5,000 miles or 6 months. The RX engine is prone to engine sluge and a regular oil change will reduce or eliminate this from happening. At least that was what I was told after Lexus swapped out my engine after just 49k miles last year.
I find the 5k interval (10k for tire roatations) on all my cars makes life a little easier. Just curious, what was your maintenance history befor sludge?