RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

K&N air filter

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-06, 02:59 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by anulex
i looooovvvee tge sound of the performance cone filter that HAD on my rx. i am now trying to ge that using the stock intake box. after spending $404 fo 2 air/fuel sensors i am now using oem filter. i actually signed on to clublex to a search on K&N filter issues and find a new discussion. its crazy i had one on all my Hondas. no problem. put one on lex for 3mths. ckeck engine light would come on but go off in day. but finally it came on. wouldn't come off and started showing a max of 11/12 mpg. then i knew i was in real trouble. so until some one can prove different no more K&N for me btw was is the MAF? and whats it purpose?
I got CELs with the K&N but only on occasion with my current, insane setup do I get the P0171 error.

Last edited by Lexmex; 01-14-06 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-14-06, 07:27 PM
Bobk528
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2000 RX300 and installed a K&N filter at 60,000 miles. Shortly after installing it, I had to replace the MAF. I should had read this forum and simply clean the MAF but I'm learning by regularly reading this forum site. Anyway, after 67,000 miles on the odometer, its been running fine. I purchased K&N filters for three cars. I got sucked in thinking that this filter will magically boost horsepower. The next time I change my air and oil filter, transmission fluid, and other routine items, I'm planning to stick with Toyota OEM.
Old 01-14-06, 08:35 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobk528
I have a 2000 RX300 and installed a K&N filter at 60,000 miles. Shortly after installing it, I had to replace the MAF. I should had read this forum and simply clean the MAF but I'm learning by regularly reading this forum site. Anyway, after 67,000 miles on the odometer, its been running fine. I purchased K&N filters for three cars. I got sucked in thinking that this filter will magically boost horsepower. The next time I change my air and oil filter, transmission fluid, and other routine items, I'm planning to stick with Toyota OEM.
K&N is no supercharger or turbo. Anyone who believe a drop in filter will turn RX into a rocket, well...that is a person I want to avoid on the road. Most people expect increase airflow a little so the engine can mix more fuel with the increased oxygen for a little increase of HP. Other uses replacement filter because it is more economic in the long run.
K&N is around for a long time, those who wants to pack more air into the engine without forced induction, this is a cost effective way to do it. Those who could care less about performance, go with OEM filter.
Old 01-14-06, 09:40 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used K&N filters since 1988, and was convinced that they were worth the money. I had it on EVERY car I've owned since then. However,recently I have finally realized that it is not all it is cracked up to be. I have had to change 2 MAFS in the last year because of the oil from the K&N's.

Another reason I changed back to the paper filter is the fact that my oil stays cleaner. I do oil analysis on my engine oil. and the results of my lest test shows that my oil was contaminated with SILICA....which is SAND. HOW did I get silica in my oil...from the oil filter that had microscopic holes in the cotton of the K&N filter. We should have a DRY air filter in the airbox in my opinion. I had so much gunk in the throttle body. Tha also stays cleaner as well, so I assume the car breathes better, and the oil is no longer inside the Idle Speed Control in the air passage

I changed back to the factory filter and noticed NO decrease in performance, and no maf problems. I changed my engine oil to get rid of the silica. My oil now stays much cleaner, and the car actually runs BETTER without the sand contamination. Now I have to check the fuel mileage.

Last edited by gserep1; 01-14-06 at 09:47 PM.
Old 05-03-06, 10:01 AM
SilverSprt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
K&N is no supercharger or turbo. Anyone who believe a drop in filter will turn RX into a rocket, well...that is a person I want to avoid on the road. Most people expect increase airflow a little so the engine can mix more fuel with the increased oxygen for a little increase of HP. Other uses replacement filter because it is more economic in the long run.
K&N is around for a long time, those who wants to pack more air into the engine without forced induction, this is a cost effective way to do it. Those who could care less about performance, go with OEM filter.
Installed a K&N filter in my car around 55k. I am almost at 70k with no problems. Is my car amped with a lot more horsepower? Nope. Do I notice a difference? Feels like it. Why did I decide to get it? I bought mine from Walmart for a bargain and it will easily pay itself over time. Where OEM filters run about $15.

Cheers
Old 05-03-06, 10:52 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gserep1
I have used K&N filters since 1988, and was convinced that they were worth the money. I had it on EVERY car I've owned since then. However,recently I have finally realized that it is not all it is cracked up to be. I have had to change 2 MAFS in the last year because of the oil from the K&N's.

Another reason I changed back to the paper filter is the fact that my oil stays cleaner. I do oil analysis on my engine oil. and the results of my lest test shows that my oil was contaminated with SILICA....which is SAND. HOW did I get silica in my oil...from the oil filter that had microscopic holes in the cotton of the K&N filter. We should have a DRY air filter in the airbox in my opinion. I had so much gunk in the throttle body. Tha also stays cleaner as well, so I assume the car breathes better, and the oil is no longer inside the Idle Speed Control in the air passage

I changed back to the factory filter and noticed NO decrease in performance, and no maf problems. I changed my engine oil to get rid of the silica. My oil now stays much cleaner, and the car actually runs BETTER without the sand contamination. Now I have to check the fuel mileage.
Could you can scan the oil analysis result and post it on the forum?
See what this person posted and it can be easily verified with your oil analysis report.

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Performance/airintake.htm
A few years ago, someone started circulating a story about a test of K&N filters that showed that they filtered much more poorly than standard filters. That story was later proven to be a hoax, but it still shows up on the automotive newsgroups and mailing lists whenever the subject comes up. Until I see the results of a REAL test that shows poor filtering by the K&N filters, I'll continue to believe that they work just as well or better than conventional filters.
Old 05-03-06, 07:00 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SilverSprt
Installed a K&N filter in my car around 55k. I am almost at 70k with no problems. Is my car amped with a lot more horsepower? Nope. Do I notice a difference? Feels like it. Why did I decide to get it? I bought mine from Walmart for a bargain and it will easily pay itself over time. Where OEM filters run about $15.

Cheers
When I first installed one, I did feel a slight difference. However, the MAF problem on mine eventually meant it had to go. It was simply much better in the power department to run no filter than run K&N in terms of having a clean MAF. Eventually, I did just that.

TunedRX300, not sure if that person will ever reply back, but if I can find a group to do an analysis, kind of like the Blackstone Lab in the U.S., I will gladly post my results of oil since I don't run with a filter.

Even then, one has to remember people run their RXs in very different climates.

While, I may not have a a lot of silicated in the air, I remember reading about a 1980s study where a scientist isolated all the necessary particles needed for making gunpowder solely out of one day's worth of Mexico City air.
Old 05-03-06, 07:38 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I remember reading about a 1980s study where a scientist isolated all the necessary particles needed for making gunpowder solely out of one day's worth of Mexico City air.

And to think I actually envy you for living in Mehico
Old 05-04-06, 07:03 AM
speedee952
Driver School Candidate

weapon r makes a cold air intake for the rx that draws air from the lower bumper. Might wanna check that out
Old 05-04-06, 08:04 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by speedee952
weapon r makes a cold air intake for the rx that draws air from the lower bumper. Might wanna check that out
I think you are referring to their ram air kits. This is doable with the long hose reaching down, but one would also have to remove the current setup and and secure the end of the ram air opening down below as I have done with my custom setup.
Old 05-04-06, 10:05 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexmex
When I first installed one, I did feel a slight difference. However, the MAF problem on mine eventually meant it had to go. It was simply much better in the power department to run no filter than run K&N in terms of having a clean MAF. Eventually, I did just that.

TunedRX300, not sure if that person will ever reply back, but if I can find a group to do an analysis, kind of like the Blackstone Lab in the U.S., I will gladly post my results of oil since I don't run with a filter.

Even then, one has to remember people run their RXs in very different climates.

While, I may not have a a lot of silicated in the air, I remember reading about a 1980s study where a scientist isolated all the necessary particles needed for making gunpowder solely out of one day's worth of Mexico City air.
Lexmex, I agree with you that usage depends on where you are. The goal of a filter is to filter out particles that cause long term engine damage w/o sacrificing flow. I have seen one internet study which a secondary filter behind different brands of paper, cotton gauze, and foam filters, the result is that all filters let in particles that is caught by the 2nd filter.
I use K&N during winter months and switch to OEM during summer. But it is amazing that people (not including you Lexmex )assume or imply OEM paper filters out all hurtful particles while K&N does not. If that the case, then why do many owners who use OEM paper still report MAF clogging problem? MAF CEL code is not strictly for those who use K&N.
I ordered a test kit from Blackstone Laboratory and will do an oil analysis test for my next oil change.

Last edited by TunedRX300; 05-04-06 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-04-06, 06:10 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
Lexmex, I agree with you that usage depends on where you are. The goal of a filter is to filter out particles that cause long term engine damage w/o sacrificing flow. I have seen one internet study which a secondary filter behind different brands of paper, cotton gauze, and foam filters, the result is that all filters let in particles that is caught by the 2nd filter.
I use K&N during winter months and switch to OEM during summer. But it is amazing that people (not including you Lexmex )assume or imply OEM paper filters out all hurtful particles while K&N does not. If that the case, then why do many owners who use OEM paper still report MAF clogging problem? MAF CEL code is not strictly for those who use K&N.
I ordered a test kit from Blackstone Laboratory and will do an oil analysis test for my next oil change.
Let me tell you, the OEM Toyota filter is one of the most restrictive things I have ever seen in terms of restricting air and that probably goes for other vehicles with their own OEM filters. That may be nice for sea level, but not for high altitude where I live.

Even then, one problem I encountered when I used to have my air box was the fact that it never sealed properly and I always had to duct tape when I would take it to the track for the first time way back in the 2004, as it would be letting in the hot engine air (forget about filtration).