RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Sludge picture

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-06, 01:15 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree that although the pictures show a four-cylinder engine, they may represent the "sludge" problem in a number of engines. What is not explained here is how the owner drove it "without oil", considering without oil reaching the oil pump suction, there could have been no oil pressure. A simultaneous failure of the pump AND the oil pressure light? No increase in engine temperature prior to failure? It would seem that an engine in extremis would give some evidence of impending failure before it stuck a rod through the block. Do some drivers think that instrument panel is there to look cool, rather than provide vital information about what is happening deep within the mechanical innards of that machine thrashing away down there by their feet?

The first thing that is evident in these pictures is that this condition did not occur overnight. It is a problem that goes back thousands of miles and probably over a year. In all of that time, it's hard to explain how none of this sludge was detected during a routine oil change. If all that oil were "gelled" in the crankcase, wouldn't it have given some evidence when the oil was changed? Wouldn't you get only a cup or two out of the drain plug. instead of several QUARTS? By the same token, how would you get the full amount of oil back into the engine if the pan were filled with gunk? Wouldn't it show an overfill condition on the dipstick?

Toyota/Lexus has done a good job of owning up to their responsibilities in a handful of engine failures. The bottom line is that if you change oil regularly at the recommended intervals, and can produce receipts or other evidence of that service, you will be covered by the extended warranty. But the folks at T/L are no dummies either; an engine showing evidence of abuse or abject neglect will not be covered. Rather than accept these warranty claims at face value, I’d like to see a little more proof on the part of the complainant.
Old 03-08-06, 07:23 PM
lexigirl06
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anyone here, check your engine temp? it could be high temp causing the sludge .
My RX 330 reaches up to half of the gauge, and my sienna '00 close to mid gauge, my honda accord '96
up to 1/4 of the temp gauge . Due to high temp burning oil these maybe will cause sludge to the engine .
Old 03-08-06, 07:47 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rcyo1
the first problem i see is that this guy had stated" I have every oil change receipt, every 3-4000 miles from either Walmart or Jiffy Lube" AFTERMARKET oil filters does not filter out as good as an OEM toyota filter. also jiffy lube uses penzoil which sucks (penzoil oil had problems in the past for sludging engines, and walmart uses, god knows what!!!! toyota recognizes this problem with sludging, but i feel it is the customers fault for going to places like jiffy lube and walmart. who knows if they even change the oil filter everytime you go. like they say "you get what you pay for!!!!!!" i recommend if you go to places like walmart or jiffylube or any other place, bring your own OEM toyota filter or oem type oil filter and have them install it, along with the oil change.
My local Toyota uses Pennzoil. Walmart uses bulk oil by Kendall, which also makes the Toyota brand oil.

People, oil is oil. They came from the same dinosaur carcass. Just change your oil at regular interval. No need to lose sleep on or to argue about what brand of oil to use. They all work very well.
Old 03-08-06, 08:15 PM
rcyo1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
My local Toyota uses Pennzoil. Walmart uses bulk oil by Kendall, which also makes the Toyota brand oil.

People, oil is oil. They came from the same dinosaur carcass. Just change your oil at regular interval. No need to lose sleep on or to argue about what brand of oil to use. They all work very well.

oil isnt just oil as you stated. i dont think any race car out there just uses plain motor oil in ther race car. there is a difference in the quality of motor oils. please read the link.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...tml?page=3&c=y

Last edited by rcyo1; 03-08-06 at 08:23 PM.