RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Sludge picture

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-06 | 01:27 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Default Sludge picture

http://groups.msn.com/ToyotaOwnersUn...19216833304158

Take a look at these horrific pictures. Has this happened to anyone with the RX300?

How can I tell if this is happening inside my engine? I just did an oil change (once every 6 monthes with Mobil 1, keep all receipts) but I want to know if this could happen to me?
Old 01-15-06 | 01:33 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I would not worry about it if you are using synthetic.
Old 01-15-06 | 05:08 PM
katzjamr
Driver

Default sludge

there were certain years where sludge was more likely to happen. the engine was designed with passeges at the top that were too narrow and the oil was superheated at that spot. as it flowed down into the pan it cooled and formed sludge. they have since widened those passeges to eliminate the problem. also if you are going to go to walmart or jiffy lube to service your lexus or any car i would specify a brand name oil or bring your own, not the bulk stuff they use everyday.
Old 01-15-06 | 05:29 PM
ericok
Driver School Candidate

Pull the valve covers off and see if there's any sludge. The Toyota 1997-2002 3.0L V6 did (does?) have a sludge problem and Toyota has put an extended warranty out on it (8 years from initial sale but must have proof of at least one oil change per year - that pretty much means from the dealer).
Old 01-16-06 | 11:41 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ericok
Pull the valve covers off and see if there's any sludge. The Toyota 1997-2002 3.0L V6 did (does?) have a sludge problem and Toyota has put an extended warranty out on it (8 years from initial sale but must have proof of at least one oil change per year - that pretty much means from the dealer).
I can pull them off easy, do I have to buy new valve cover seals to do this?
Old 01-16-06 | 06:31 PM
ericok
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by toy4two
I can pull them off easy, do I have to buy new valve cover seals to do this?
Should be able to reuse them (have to apply gasket sealant) but to guarantee no leaks - need new gasket.

Last edited by ericok; 01-17-06 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-17-06 | 05:51 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Somewhere way back in the gray matter I recalled something about Toyota having sludge problems on certain engines and trying to pass it off as owner/operator maintenance issues. Do a Google search on "Toyota sludge" and see what pops up. You will be surprised at the number of articles generated with sludge and Toyota in them. Apparently it WAS a problem but isn't anymore?

Oth, regular oil and filter changes SHOULD keep your engine safe. And, NO, synthetic oils are not required to keep your engine running well. I do use synthetics but mostly for cold weather start up.

Gary
Old 01-18-06 | 03:49 PM
parula
Instructor

I too switched to synthetic to stave off this issue. There is a lot on this in CL.
Old 01-18-06 | 04:07 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Grumpa72
Somewhere way back in the gray matter I recalled something about Toyota having sludge problems on certain engines and trying to pass it off as owner/operator maintenance issues. Do a Google search on "Toyota sludge" and see what pops up. You will be surprised at the number of articles generated with sludge and Toyota in them. Apparently it WAS a problem but isn't anymore?

Oth, regular oil and filter changes SHOULD keep your engine safe. And, NO, synthetic oils are not required to keep your engine running well. I do use synthetics but mostly for cold weather start up.

Gary
all 1mzfe engines are affected if owners neglect oil change. It is still a problem since there is no recall, only extension of warranty to 8 years.
Old 01-22-06 | 06:49 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

The sludge problem with 1MZ-FE's of the affected years are due to owner/operator error. I have a 99 Solara SE V6 manual with the 1MZ-FE V6 that is within the affect year range. To date, I have 97k miles, no sludge with regular 3k oil change intervals...and no use for synthetic oil. Everyone has their experiences using conventional and synthetic. I've had several vehicles that have lasted well over 100k without the use of synthetics. My 1MZ-FE for example is one with no sludge problems, nor does it have valve cover gasket leakage. It's been fully maintained on a regular basis since day 1 and i do have my times pushing the motor. This is my 2nd vehicle with a 1MZ-FE V6 and still no sludge to date.

FYI, this artcle link posted has NOTHING to do with the 1MZ-FE V6 in the RX300, ES300, Camry and etc. This is the 2.2L 4cyl 5S-FE found in a 2000 Camry. The owner just happened to search "Toyota" and "Sludge" on the internet and feels he/she is a victim of it. I have no real sympathy for owners claiming they are a sludge victim. Alot of this stems to how the owner drives and maintains their car

Last edited by flipside909; 01-22-06 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-22-06 | 08:09 PM
rcyo1
Pole Position

Default sludge

http://groups.msn.com/ToyotaOwnersUn...19216833304158

Take a look at these horrific pictures. Has this happened to anyone with the RX300?

How can I tell if this is happening inside my engine? I just did an oil change (once every 6 monthes with Mobil 1, keep all receipts) but I want to know if this could happen to me?

the first problem i see is that this guy had stated" I have every oil change receipt, every 3-4000 miles from either Walmart or Jiffy Lube" AFTERMARKET oil filters does not filter out as good as an OEM toyota filter. also jiffy lube uses penzoil which sucks (penzoil oil had problems in the past for sludging engines, and walmart uses, god knows what!!!! toyota recognizes this problem with sludging, but i feel it is the customers fault for going to places like jiffy lube and walmart. who knows if they even change the oil filter everytime you go. like they say "you get what you pay for!!!!!!" i recommend if you go to places like walmart or jiffylube or any other place, bring your own OEM toyota filter or oem type oil filter and have them install it, along with the oil change.

Last edited by rcyo1; 01-22-06 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-22-06 | 10:09 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I have been using K&N oil filters with no problem. I have friends who also use Amsoil and Mobil 1 filters...again no problems. There are good aftermarket oil filters out there.

However, there are only certain oils (all synthetic) that I would touch. I use a Mobil 1 0W-40 for racing and elevation purposes (and I have tried many different grades of Mobil 1 and even blends to come to this conclusion). I would also use Amsoil (we do not have it in Mexico) without a doubt and Castrol Syntec only if the other two were not available.

If you think Penzoil is bad you just see the gimmick-oriented brands we have here in Mexico. My uncle (my mechanic, too) laughs when his customers repeat catch phrases of these funny oil companies and he happily recommends them a better known brand.
Old 01-23-06 | 11:09 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

LOL the best gimmick is the old "exceeds on four ball wear test" A test made for testing GREASE! Its sad people fall for these claims. Bobistheoilguy.com gives you the straight poop on these gimmicks.
Old 01-23-06 | 11:33 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

LOL the best gimmick is the old "exceeds on four ball wear test" A test made for testing GREASE! Its sad people fall for these claims. Bobistheoilguy.com gives you the straight poop on these gimmicks.
My uncle's favorite one is where they claim Castrol synthetic outperforms regular oil. Then my uncle said back what about Mobil 1 (which is king of synthetics down here).

Bobistheoilguy.com is the best site with all the technical stuff to go with it.

Last edited by Lexmex; 03-06-06 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-06-06 | 10:05 AM
Benjamin T
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flipside909

FYI, this artcle link posted has NOTHING to do with the 1MZ-FE V6 in the RX300, ES300, Camry and etc. This is the 2.2L 4cyl 5S-FE found in a 2000 Camry. The owner just happened to search "Toyota" and "Sludge" on the internet and feels he/she is a victim of it. I have no real sympathy for owners claiming they are a sludge victim. Alot of this stems to how the owner drives and maintains their car
someone please correct me if i am in error, but i found this:

http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?scid=150&did=1090

according to the link above, the 5S-FE is mentioned as being covered under the sludge-repair program.

Quick Reply: Sludge picture