RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Brand of gas DOES matter

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-06, 09:58 AM
Jubane
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand of gas DOES matter

Found this to be an interesting read about TOP Tier Gasoline

http://www.toptiergas.com

http://autorepair.about.com/od/generalinfo/a/110305.htm
Old 01-19-06, 10:45 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Jubane
Found this to be an interesting read about TOP Tier Gasoline

http://www.toptiergas.com

http://autorepair.about.com/od/generalinfo/a/110305.htm
Usually, these debates wind down to what octane rather than what gas. In my case in Mexico, I have to use Premium unless an emergency. One of those times that resulted in an emergency eventually resulted in the removal of my precats.
Old 01-19-06, 10:59 AM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I tend to stray away from private or independent gas stations for that reason, I know the difference may be minimal but for me it just comes down to peace of mind I suppose. I always fill up at Chevron.

-tc
Old 01-19-06, 11:30 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Down here, I do use Techron from Chevron, even sold in bulk at Costcos down here and in the states it is the first gas I will touch upon entry into Laredo. Some guys have told me that Sunoco is one of the cleanest gases, but I will still use Chevron.
Old 01-19-06, 12:37 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Down here, I do use Techron from Chevron, even sold in bulk at Costcos down here and in the states it is the first gas I will touch upon entry into Laredo. Some guys have told me that Sunoco is one of the cleanest gases, but I will still use Chevron.
I have heard good feedback on Sunoco as well. There was a WSJ article on Costco gas that lists couple of brands Honda and Toyota recommend. The same as posted in the Top Tier Gas link.
I fill up at Costco since the gas is sourced by Chevron, Shell, or BP, just w/o additional additives on top of EPA's basic requirement. It is easy to make up the difference by putting a bottle of STP or Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner every 5000 miles. Costco also checks fuel filter at the pump regularly so your car's fuel filter does not get clogged. I did not believe it until I experiemented by filling up at Arco and the gas comes out significantly slower from the pump. Just a guess, large pressure drop across a pump fuel filter that needs to be replaced?

Last edited by TunedRX300; 01-19-06 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-19-06, 12:55 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
I have heard good feedback on Sunoco as well. There was a WSJ article on Costco gas that I posted on the maintenance forum that list couple of brands Honda and Toyota recommends.
I fill up at Costco since the gas is sourced by Chevron, Shell, or BP, just w/o additional additives on top of EPA's basic requirement. It is easy to make up the difference by putting a bottle of STP or Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner every 5000 miles. Costco also checks fuel filter at the pump regularly so your car's fuel filter does not get clogged. I did not believe it until I experiemented by filling up at Arco and the gas comes out significantly slower.
TunedRX300 makes an excellent point about gas. I saw a documentary on tv not too long ago about how much of the gas in the states is just like 4 different brands and then the additives are added shortly before shipment to the stations.

In Mexico, full serve is mandatory nationwide though sometimes the guys at some of the stations let me pump my own gas since they sometimes drip gas on the side of the car afterwards. Whatever you do, should you travel south of the border, fill up on Premium or make sure your tank is full coming from the U.S. side if it is just a day trip.
Old 01-19-06, 01:12 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 340 Likes on 292 Posts

im surprised that BP is not there
Old 01-19-06, 05:56 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
In Mexico, full serve is mandatory nationwide though sometimes the guys at some of the stations let me pump my own gas since they sometimes drip gas on the side of the car afterwards.
Just curious, is there a reason why full service is mandatory?
Old 01-19-06, 06:20 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bizzy928
I am just guessing, they are just duplicating what Lexus is doing - charge owner $90 a full service oil change that includes a "free" loaner car
Old 01-19-06, 08:20 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Not sure about the official reason, but I asked my uncle once and he told me it is really to keep people employed. If I remember correctly Pemex, being a state monopoly, is the major source of tax revenue for the country, like 66% or so. Oil industry was nationalized in the 30s if I recall right.

One thing to come out lately, as of December 1, 2005 is a new requirement that if you want to deduct your gasoline expenses as business expenses, then you need to pay the gas station with a debit or credit card or check, not cash. Then you need to wait like 15 to 30 minutes to fill out a special form. I think this is a way of the government trying make it harder for people to deduct so they get more tax revenue. There has been a lot written in the papers down here about this. Part of the problem is until about 3 years ago at the earliest, gas stations would only take cash (only like 15% of Mexicans have any kind of credit or debit card), and 3 years later they still are behind. So you can imagine when you need that deduction and they have nothing to read the cards with.

I don't worry as I pay in cash, but my racing buddy Michael does so it is a pain, even more so as he sometimes uses U.S. cards that do not often go through.

Mexicans have virtually no deductions down here except for stuff like medical expenses or charitable deductions on personal income tax.

I thought I remember (and I do remember growing up in NJ for some time) that New Jersey and Oregon have full service only...someone out there correct me if I am wrong.
Old 01-19-06, 08:25 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bizzy928
Safety and (minimum wage) employment. New Jersey also has mandatory full service.
Old 01-19-06, 08:32 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just about any major brand gas will treat your car just fine. Even convenient stores like 7Eleven and AM/PM have great gas. Do avoid rusty or vintage stations. Their gas pumps do not have filters.

Some gas have fancy names like V-Power or Ultimate to fool the mis-informed. The oil companies want you to stick to their brands, not to shop by price. While different brands have different additives - they all do the job well. No one gasoline is superior to others.

Over 58,000 miles on my RX300 so far. No premium gas, no gas additives, still runs like the day out of showroom.

Size matters, but not gas brand.

Last edited by HarrierAWD; 01-19-06 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-22-06, 10:54 PM
Lexwang07

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

I always fill-up gas at Chevron because I had their credit card, few dollors discount each month statement!
Old 01-22-06, 11:39 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD

Over 58,000 miles on my RX300 so far. No premium gas, no gas additives, still runs like the day out of showroom.

Size matters, but not gas brand.
That's great to hear, but it's perfectly fine to run low octane fuels 1 mile up in elevation (thinner air for those that don't lnow).