RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Truth about the keys

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-01, 01:28 PM
jojo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I bought 99 with only one key, what's called a sub key in the manual. I had no idea about transponder, programming, etc. at the moment of buying. So I thought that not a big deal and I would order a copy myself. It turned out to be a big deal.

Went to a locksmith. He said that he can do for $140. But this one without remote. They don't have blanks with remote. Called the dealer. They charge $195 with the remote and $85 without the one. I agreed and went to him. But what he said, that without the master key I can't order any key at all. I called the locksmith again and they confirmed that they can do it.

Where is the truth?

I appreciate any advice.

Last edited by jojo; 08-16-01 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-13-01, 08:44 PM
Beaker
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down

You got the bad news pretty much right...

Bought my RX and it only had the master and the sub Key, but I needed another key with the remote.....

You can get a key cut that will unlock the doors, like the one that would have come in your owners manual case, but that key will not start the vehicle, cause it has no Transponder in it.

The transponder is a security failsafe for "our" protection, apparently it's a good idea, until you need a key.

Having said all that, you have to get any and all replacement keys from your dealer, and you MUST have a master key so they are able to work some kind of magic to enable any "new" keys to work (Transponder Magic I think??)....

If you were to lose all of your keys, on an older Lexus, a computer reset would enable you to be able to "re-learn" the vehicle to use new keys, but I'm told that the newer ones require REPLACING the computer ......
And that would be bad......

My advice is to get a new key soon brfore your only one gets lost.........LOL......

Beaker
Old 08-14-01, 07:12 AM
redjeeper
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I picked up my '99 last thursady evening and they salesperson said that he would get me all of the keys when the main buiding opened in the morning. I went back the next day and he said he couldn't find any other keys that were turned in with the vehicle (certified Lexus) so they would order a new set and call me. They had to take my VIN # to get the keys cut. Now that is security.
Old 08-14-01, 10:16 AM
jojo
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by redjeeper
I picked up my '99 last thursady evening and they salesperson said that he would get me all of the keys when the main buiding opened in the morning. I went back the next day and he said he couldn't find any other keys that were turned in with the vehicle (certified Lexus) so they would order a new set and call me. They had to take my VIN # to get the keys cut. Now that is security.
I wish I could get the same answer, but I bought from a used-car dealer. Now, the Lexus dealer says, my only option is to buy the new computer, around $2500??? Otherwise, no spare key (with remote or w/o). I can't believe there is no way to reprogram the damn computer or find the existing code using the VIN.
Please let me know the outcome of your keys experience.
Old 08-14-01, 10:30 AM
malhokc
Pole Position

Found some info on Keys from a different forum some time ago.

The RX300 theft deterrent system utilizes a high security "sidewinder/laser" key which has a tiny electronic transponder chip sealed in the head. When the key is inserted, the ignition emits an electromagnetic field which causes the chip in the key to send a coded signal back to the lock. The engine will start only if the signal from the key is recognized by the Engine Control Module (ECM). This is a very intricate system requiring special dealer test equipment together with a high level of technical knowledge and skill to troubleshoot malfunctions. New vehicles are supplied with two master keys, one valay key and one wallet key. Only the master and valay keys have the transponder chip to allow you to start and run the engine. The ECM has the capacity to recognize up to ten keys, 7 masters and 3 valays. Either of the two original registered masterkeys is needed to initialize (program) additional keys. If no registered transponder key is available to start the car, it must be towed to a Lexus dealer and the ECM replaced. The MSRP for this unit is about $2,500.00 and with labor the installed cost is around $3K! Neither the dealer or a locksmith can re-program the ECM if all keys are lost. The masterkey also includes battery-powered rolling code keyless entry to lock/unlock doors, sound panic alarm and open windows and moonroof. These functions must also be programmed into new keys. To change the battery, remove the tiny screw on the key bow using a #00 jewelers' Phillips screwdriver to access and remove the module. The replacement is a 3 v. lithium coin battery: Duracell DL1616, Eveready ECR1616, Panasonic CR1616 or equivalent. Your dealer can order additional keys at the list price of around $160.00 each, programming is an additional labor charge and requires the use of one of the original masterkeys together with access to the vehicle; total estimated cost is about $200.00 per key. Contrary to popular belief, there are aftermarket duplicate keys available at a much more competitive price (check ebay.com; I was some earlier posts). These have the imbeded transponder chip and operate all locks and start and run the vehicle. Like the valay, these keys will NOT have the remote keyless entry and panic buttons, but since the door can be easily unlocked with the key and locked without it; this may be an acceptable compromise. To purchase these, find a local locksmith who has the special machinery to duplicate high security "sidewinder" keys. The aftermarket transponder key blank is Ilco #TOY48BT4 which if they don't have it in stock, the locksmith can order from their wholesale supplier. Once the locksmith has the proper blank they can cut a duplicate by profiling from the original on the special machine. The new duplicate is then easily programmed using the RX's on-board computer (ECM) and one of the original masterkeys. I guesstimate the street price at around $50-$60.
Old 08-14-01, 07:47 PM
salimshah

Received 1,073 Likes on 966 Posts

jojo:

There is a limit to how many keys the on-board computer can learn. Till that limit, new keys can be made. Lexus dealership should be able to get you new keys made. Just demand duplicate key/s to be made for you. There is no point in sharing that you bought the vehicle off from another person/dealership etc.

If another locksmith cuts the keys, please make sure you ask for Spare Key to Drive the RX and not just a duplicate key.

Do keep in mind that who ever holds the "lost key" can potentially drive away your RX. To prevent that you may like to replace the on-board computer which will run close to 2k.

Also fill in the New Owner Card at the end of Owner's Manual and mail it in.

Salim
Old 07-15-10, 11:06 AM
jimtika
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jojo
I wish I could get the same answer, but I bought from a used-car dealer. Now, the Lexus dealer says, my only option is to buy the new computer, around $2500??? Otherwise, no spare key (with remote or w/o). I can't believe there is no way to reprogram the damn computer or find the existing code using the VIN.
Please let me know the outcome of your keys experience.

I had the same problem on my lexus rx300.. I lost my only key... i order one online... on sewell.com and hey cut the key i just have to provide my vin.. i call the toyota dealer and they tell me the a need a new ECU $1800.... i called the lexus dealer and they tell me the something for $750... but i called the locksmith around my town and only one of then did it. they re-flash the ECU and program the new key the a buy on sewell.com for $150...
Old 07-15-10, 10:02 PM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimtika

I had the same problem on my lexus rx300.. I lost my only key... i order one online... on sewell.com and hey cut the key i just have to provide my vin.. i call the toyota dealer and they tell me the a need a new ECU $1800.... i called the lexus dealer and they tell me the something for $750... but i called the locksmith around my town and only one of then did it. they re-flash the ECU and program the new key the a buy on sewell.com for $150...
I went through the same stuff with my 99 RX300 too. The only person that can and is willing to do it would be your local locksmith. I had two new remote key cut and programmed with the ECU re-flashed in just 30 minutes. It only cost me about $200.
Old 07-16-10, 04:30 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnLX300
The only person that can and is willing to do it would be your local locksmith. I had two new remote key cut and programmed with the ECU re-flashed in just 30 minutes. It only cost me about $200.
I think I've read on this forum in the past that there are mail-order services where you over-night mail the ECU to them and they return it reflashed in a few days, with a new set of keys. For those who don't have a local locksmith that will do it.