RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

timeing belt

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-06, 07:15 AM
slick20
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timeing belt

interested in replaceing the timeing belt on my 99rx300. how hard is this job?any info would be greatly appericated. thanks.
Old 02-06-06, 09:30 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not for the young or weak at heart..

That said, when someone asks on this type of job, my first question "What is your tool set and mind set"? Are you a trained auto mechanic and have the skill set? This is much more than removing bolts and replacing them. There are torque specs for various bolt sizes, critical in an aluminum engine. Different tools for the various tasks to be performed. Does this bolt need anti-seize or thread locker?
Then there the alignment and timing proceedures for removing and installing the belt. One may reference the Camry V6 proceedures for advice. Many also replace the belt idlers with bearings and water pump concurrently with the timing belt. I would if the coolant hasn't been changed every 30K miles.

If I were to advise, take it to toyota for a price to install. At least, to an independant toyota shop that has performed the task many times. A poor job will haunt you.
Old 02-06-06, 09:59 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by slick20
interested in replaceing the timeing belt on my 99rx300. how hard is this job?any info would be greatly appericated. thanks.
Also think about the fact it might be in your interest to change the water pump at this time, if it is about 90K.
Old 02-06-06, 10:23 AM
salimshah

Received 1,080 Likes on 972 Posts

Physical ability/limitation is also another factor. I found that my hands were to big to fit between the wheel well and the face of the engine on a transverse mount in-line4. RX is a transverse mount v6. So not only visualize but try to get your hand with tool(s) physically in there.

The other factor is that if the timing belt is being replaced for the first time, although all bolts are tightened to spec, but since they get a varnish coat, it is diffcult to get them going.

Salim
Old 02-06-06, 10:55 AM
slick20
Driver School Candidate

while i am a skilled diy and have many tools, you guys do bring up some vaild points. i did forget about torque specs,tension pully water pump all items which should be addressed when accessing the timeing belt.dont think i will take this on my shelf.but thanks for all the replies and i will be looking forwared to reading all the great info you guys provide in these forums. thanks again!
Old 02-06-06, 11:14 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by slick20
while i am a skilled diy and have many tools, you guys do bring up some vaild points. i did forget about torque specs,tension pully water pump all items which should be addressed when accessing the timeing belt.dont think i will take this on my shelf.but thanks for all the replies and i will be looking forwared to reading all the great info you guys provide in these forums. thanks again!
My cousin installed my URD pulley in about 30 minutes or so that required taking off the timing belt. He did not even have to open the service manual. Literally, took of the front, right tire and went to work. He had all the tools and a month later, no issues whatsoever. It's doable.
Old 02-09-06, 09:51 AM
right RX
Driver School Candidate

Default Timing Belt/Engine Question

I recently purchased a 2001 RX and upon noticing the work done to it at Lexus dealers, I discovered that it had a short block replaced around 55k. My first question is: Did the dealer mechanics change the timing belt when they replaced the short block?

and secondly, is the RX engine a "non-interfering" one in that if the timing belt does break, the engine won't immediately be destroyed while driving?

Thanks for the help
Old 02-09-06, 11:57 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by right RX
I recently purchased a 2001 RX and upon noticing the work done to it at Lexus dealers, I discovered that it had a short block replaced around 55k. My first question is: Did the dealer mechanics change the timing belt when they replaced the short block?

and secondly, is the RX engine a "non-interfering" one in that if the timing belt does break, the engine won't immediately be destroyed while driving?

Thanks for the help
Non-interference, not sure about the engine block question.
Old 02-22-06, 02:01 PM
AudioMan
Rookie

What kind of prices would one be looking at for a new timining belt and water pump? My wife's 99 RX is at 103,XXX and is about due. Thanks.
Old 03-01-06, 06:43 AM
rpete33
Driver School Candidate

Default RX300 Timing Belt

My good friend ,who is the service manager at a Toyota dealership, informed me that he has NEVER had a timing belt break on a V-6 Toyota engine. The RX300 is the same engine as a Camry. He told me that they made the timing belts too good and they may last forever!!
What do you think?
Old 03-01-06, 07:09 AM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

I won't bet on that. A $800 job (including water pump) may save you thousands of dollars from rebuilding the engine if the belt did break, and not to mention about leaving you strand on the road in the middle of no where.
Old 03-01-06, 10:02 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

My cousin took out the front belts (PS and Generator belts) and also the timing belts (with the URD 1MZFE pulley change) to see any ill effects after 1 year (I had the belt changed at about 84K). Nothing...and he realigned it, put in the pulley and that was it.

I have heard belts going up to 150K miles before changing. I would think that the PS or Generator belts could break should some road debris kick up in there, but very rare and Mexico would be one of the most likely places, however the timing belts are in a pretty well protected area.

Now, supercharger belts...those do break.
Old 03-01-06, 02:18 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rpete33
My good friend ,who is the service manager at a Toyota dealership, informed me that he has NEVER had a timing belt break on a V-6 Toyota engine. The RX300 is the same engine as a Camry. He told me that they made the timing belts too good and they may last forever!!
What do you think?
I have heard the same comment from experienced Toyota techs. Even if it does break, it is a non-interference engine and will not have any damage done. Just major inconvenience. I had my belt done at a Toyota dealer for $399 at 90K just for piece of mind.
Old 03-14-06, 02:10 PM
neilmian
Driver School Candidate

I just replaced the Timing belt on my 99 AWD. It took me 4 hours and I was able to replace the Water pump, tensioner, tensioner bearing and idler bearing all with oem parts for the cost of parts from www.partznet.com (Total of $300.00). The most difficult part of the whole project is removing the Crankshaft pulley. Luckily my 12v impact wrench zipped it right off. The rest of the job was fairly easy. This was my 1st timing belt replacement on a V6 engine.
Old 03-14-06, 02:18 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by neilmian
I just replaced the Timing belt on my 99 AWD. It took me 4 hours and I was able to replace the Water pump, tensioner, tensioner bearing and idler bearing all with oem parts for the cost of parts from www.partznet.com (Total of $300.00). The most difficult part of the whole project is removing the Crankshaft pulley. Luckily my 12v impact wrench zipped it right off. The rest of the job was fairly easy. This was my 1st timing belt replacement on a V6 engine.
Glad to hear you DIY

That impact wrench is the real key to making the job a lot easier.

Quick Reply: timeing belt