RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models
View Poll Results: Would you like an AWD badge for your AWD RX?
Yes, I would like it, I'm in for a GB
29.41%
No, it doesn't matter to me
29.41%
Yes, I wonder why Lexus doesn't have this OEM
29.41%
NO BADGES RULE!!
11.76%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

AWD RX owners, do we need AWD badges?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-06, 03:27 PM
LexFather

Default AWD RX owners, do we need AWD badges?

Lil known fact, I drive an AWD RX now. I've driven tons of loaners, of course all FWD and I love the AWD of my RX.

Thing is, there is not one badge indicating its AWD. I look around and the new IS and GS have AWD badges to distinguish them.

So I am thinking of buying that AWD badge and adding it to my rear liftgate under the 300 or so.

Would more be interested? I am sure the price won't be much but if we get enough responses, I'll ask Steve can we do a GB and save a couple pennies

I guess the other question is do you care? Or should Lexus have had this stock?

Thanks!
Old 02-10-06, 04:00 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I have seen a few AWD badges here in Mexico (purely generic). I used to have the gold emblems on my car. I just never liked them. Then I thought, what happens when I add the turbo in the future? Then it would get pretty crowded back there. I also like to leave Mexicans wondering down here exactly just what hit them on the highway at high speed, since no Lexus exists.

For me, no badges. However, if I had the inclination for badges, AWD would be there.
Attached Thumbnails AWD RX owners, do we need AWD badges?-back.jpg  
Old 02-10-06, 04:50 PM
katzjamr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default badges??? we dont need no stinkin badges!!!

i like the look with no stinkin badges...
Old 02-10-06, 10:22 PM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I suppose it isn't that bad of an idea, I mean if the ones from the IS and GS were to be placed on my RX300 I'd be fine with it since the AWD is subtle and clean. I always wondered why we don't have an AWD badge anyways because if you take a look around you see cars like "Murano AWD" or ... "whatever - AWD" on the back of cars all the time.

-tc
Old 02-11-06, 01:44 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I have a neighbor who owns two X5s (3.0 and a 4.8) and I noticed how the X5s have the liter demarked on the sides by the front tires. I wonder how that might look with an AWD or even putting something like turbo.

I do not think 4x4 would look good as a lot of people do not undertand what AWD means and why I cannot burn out my tires at my track by the waterbox. Though if I put 4x4, I would almost be forced to do Jeep style with the white lettering on the outside of my tires, yuck.
Old 02-11-06, 09:21 AM
BOWTIE 3
Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Lil known fact, I drive an AWD RX now. I've driven tons of loaners, of course all FWD and I love the AWD of my RX.

Thing is, there is not one badge indicating its AWD. I look around and the new IS and GS have AWD badges to distinguish them.

So I am thinking of buying that AWD badge and adding it to my rear liftgate under the 300 or so.

Would more be interested? I am sure the price won't be much but if we get enough responses, I'll ask Steve can we do a GB and save a couple pennies

I guess the other question is do you care? Or should Lexus have had this stock?

Thanks!
A better investment would be for you to get a life!
Old 02-11-06, 08:09 PM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BOWTIE 3
... That is quite unnecessary, and people thought I was rude?

-tc
Old 02-11-06, 08:15 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by BOWTIE 3
Banned for a couple days for breaking the rules.

Don't disrespect super-moderators.

Thanks
Old 02-12-06, 01:56 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Tell you what 1SICKLEX, I now want that AWD badge. Not sure where I will put it, but my dad and I got really sick off some newbie fans at the track last night wanting to see me do a burnout with my RX, which I cannot do with AWD (not sure if any of you with FWD can do it).

Yeah, sorry about that other poster. Like my dad has always preached, decency, dignity and respect.
Old 02-12-06, 09:30 PM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Yea I'm totally in for a group buy if it happens, or if we end up getting it some other way like if Lexus offers them as a part through retail. I'd sport an AWD badge.

-tc
Old 02-13-06, 01:26 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Another emblem I could use, so I do not get the other annoying question (especially when I leave my hood open at the track and it says V6 on the engine cover), "Is it a V8?"

The reason I get this is no one can believe my RX hauls the way it does on a V6. Reminds me of my confrontation last year with an MDX (also a V6).
Old 02-13-06, 02:41 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

I just don't understand... why should one get a badge for his car just because how the others "might" think of feel?

If you feel better for having a badge on your car, go for it. If to get a badge is purely to show others what you have or to give the answer to others "potential" questions.... well, I don't want to get banned, so I will stop here.
Old 02-13-06, 04:31 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
I just don't understand... why should one get a badge for his car just because how the others "might" think of feel?

If you feel better for having a badge on your car, go for it. If to get a badge is purely to show others what you have or to give the answer to others "potential" questions.... well, I don't want to get banned, so I will stop here.
Its not about being banned, we can debate like adults.

Besides, my old GS 400 was totally debadged, so trust me, slapping an AWD badge on the RX isn't an ego thing.

Its the TRUTH, its AWD, why not.

The GX and LX even have V-8 badges.
Old 02-13-06, 05:41 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe it's a geographical thing. In the NE almost all the RXs are AWD. You can't really get a fwd so it never crossed my mind. I just didnt' think people in the south wanted to spend the extra $ to get awd. However, I did encounter lots of snow at the Grand Canyon and wished I had my AWD RX there.
Old 02-18-06, 10:43 AM
Larryamg@i
Driver School Candidate

Default Badges

Here in Washington state, we have many, many mountain passes that require chains or OR AWD to get out of the congestion and hassle of waiting for the snow plows. When a state trooper checks to see that you have chained up or you have AWD, a badge would be helpful to show that you really do have AWD.

Quick Reply: AWD RX owners, do we need AWD badges?