RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-01, 10:58 PM
TN3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone in here know how to turn the check engine light off without taking it to the dealer. I installed a dragon intake and i accidently unpluged the AFM (Air Flow Meter) which made the stupid light come on. I tried to remove the fuses but don't really know which one to remove. I don't want to take it to the dealer because it might void my warranty. Please Advise, Thank You!!!
Old 08-18-01, 11:30 PM
Swing913
Pole Position

Angry Same Problem

I installed the Dragon Intake but changed to a different filter, the light came on as well, but which one is the Air Flow Meter, is it the same with the Air sensor right on the pipe??
Old 08-19-01, 08:18 AM
TN3
Rookie

yeah its the same thing i'm talking about. The black thing on the pipe.
Old 08-19-01, 08:44 AM
Swing913
Pole Position

What do u mean u unplugged it and then the engine light pops up, did u plug it back and the engine light still pops up?
Old 08-19-01, 08:31 PM
Beaker
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down Check Engine Light blues.....

Sorry Gang....

But when my "Check Engine" light came on, it almost required a trip to the dealer......but my buddy "Lexus-Man"was able to fix it......sorry but he's a tech from my dealer, and he brought the plug-in hand held test set/programmer to my garage and reset it....

The code appears when an anomaly appears in the brains of the system, from a "Lean Mixture" code as mine was to as simple as a sensor unplugged, even for a brief amount of time........but you can't pull a fuse as far as we know, you gotta acknowledge the darm thing in the "software" and clear the code......it even remembers what the engine load was ,and what all the temperatures were at the time of the "code".

Lots of luck with it, but I think it will take a trip to the dealer....I'm curious for my own information, was the battery connected when the pipe was changed???, this "might" prevent that code from happening on the the next persons mod's.......
Old 08-19-01, 10:51 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Just disconnect the battery for 5 minutes. Or you could wait 80 trip cycles. Which ever you want.

Old 08-19-01, 11:04 PM
TN3
Rookie

What is 80 trip cycle?
Does the battery thing really work?
Old 08-19-01, 11:24 PM
TN3
Rookie

Hey thanks devildog, disconnected my battery and now the light is off. you're a lifesaver. Still curious about the 80 trip cylce thing. What is it? and how does it work?
Old 08-20-01, 05:45 AM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Whenever an engine code is stored in the engine ecu it will not clear it's self until it has seen 80 trips without a problem. Even after you fix the problem the light will stay on. One trip would be turning the car on, then turning the car off. So the engine ecu will wait until it has seen you start and stop the car 80 times before it clears the trouble code on it's own. This programming is actually a Federal Gov mandate. They want you to go and get it checked out. Mainly because they don't want you to be driving around and polluting the air if the problem was serious. This is just one of many Federal Gov regulation shoved into your engine computer.

Hope that clears things up for you.

Old 08-20-01, 07:48 AM
Swing913
Pole Position

Thanks for the great info but how do u disconnect the battery?
Old 08-20-01, 02:23 PM
Beaker
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Nice snag DevilDog......... best pass that one along to my buddy.....
Old 08-20-01, 06:00 PM
spinteews
Lexus Test Driver

CooL, haha i just got my weapon R intake installed and its pretty sweet, hear and feel the difference a bit, not so much but a good amount... i enjoying it now hehe, and no engine light for me =P
Old 08-20-01, 10:14 PM
TN3
Rookie

Excuse my language but that %$%^ light came back on again. WTF!!! Devildog if I do the 80 trip cycle thing when the light is on will it turn off? Please reply, thanks. And one more thing, where did you guys put the scoop for the dragon intake? mine didn't come with instructions or anything. did yours?
Old 08-20-01, 11:44 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Originally posted by TN3
Excuse my language but that %$%^ light came back on again. WTF!!! Devildog if I do the 80 trip cycle thing when the light is on will it turn off? Please reply, thanks. And one more thing, where did you guys put the scoop for the dragon intake? mine didn't come with instructions or anything. did yours?
Then something is wrong. Is the mass air flow sensor installed backwards? Recheck all your steps. I can't help you much more without knowing what the code is.
Old 08-21-01, 01:51 AM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

TN3 - See your RX is coming along nicely . Now to your problem .

Go back and check all your connections. Make sure the hose clamps are all sealed tight . If any air seeps out i beleive you will get the check engine light . Main thing is to check all connections !

Also no directions ? What kind of company is this ? At least it should come with instructions .

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light