RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

02 RX300 Navigation System

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-06, 04:41 PM
chelsealex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 02 RX300 Navigation System

I've been driving my dad's ES430 this week with a Navigation System with Bluetooth and I absolutely love it, and really want to get one for my '02 RX300. I have no idea where to even start looking for them or the price range or anything.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-21-06, 10:25 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Smile Welcome to CL, Chelsea!

Nav systems are a great help, especially in unfamilar neighborhoods or when exploring. I'm not sure if you are looking for a way to fit a navigation system into your non-Nav RX 300, but a retrofit of a factory unit is all but impossible - probably about the same amount of work (and cost) as fitting a small-block V8 under the hood and driving the rear wheels. There are a lot of systems effected by such a mod - so many as to make it impractical.

On the other hand, there are some new stand-alone GPS navigation computers that work quite well. Look into units from Garmin, Magellan, Tom Tom, or radio replacements from Alpine - or even software and antenna systems for your notebook or PDA from DeLorme. These can be a great solution, and while not as neat an installation, at least most have the advantage of being able to be moved from car to car - or into your home or office for trip planning. Google the manufacturer's websites or just - GPS navigation car - for a quick reference to manufacturers.

Bluetooth upgrades for your RX 300? I'm afraid you're out of luck. Try a smartphone with voicedial and a bluetooth headset. Right now, that's about as close as you can get, I'm afraid. Consult your wireless carrier or brokers like LetsTalk.com or wirefly.com.

Stick around, we've got lots of people here that can help - or visit our Electronics Forum at https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lexus-audio-video-security-and-electronics-12/
Old 02-26-06, 11:04 AM
artaquio
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adding a nav compter to a RX is not difficult if you have the right head unit.
First check if the radiio you have is compatible with the nav computer. It is easy to check. It is the one with the nav controls. Three buttoms, one is nav-voice, another is map and the other is menu.
When you start your RX, the lexus logo should appear.
If you have this radio installed, the next step is to check in the cargo area if you have the computer connections. They are located in the right side below the cargo area. You should take out all the covers (very easy step). If you se two connectors of already 20 pins, you are lucky.
The only thing you need to buy is the computer navigation (Serial number 86841) and the DVD disk. Both are available at ebay, for around 1.200 USD. And of course the GPS antenna, cheap.
If you don´t have that unit, forget the prject, will cost you more than 5.000 and a lot of work.
If you have questions, I will help.
I wil post some pics in two weeks.
Good luck!
PD. Tom-tom and other nav systems are cheaper and maybe a solution, but Lexus nav system is really one of the best in the market.