RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Ramming Speed

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-06, 09:42 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

I placed the remaining pictures at the bottom of this page, http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2215309/6

TunedRX300, in one the pictures higher up on that page I show a picture of a horn (as in the beep beep horn). I had to relocate this to get my original design tube to fit properly and was wondering if you encountered any trouble.
Old 03-05-06, 10:41 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I placed the remaining pictures at the bottom of this page, http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2215309/6

TunedRX300, in one the pictures higher up on that page I show a picture of a horn (as in the beep beep horn). I had to relocate this to get my original design tube to fit properly and was wondering if you encountered any trouble.
Lexmex,
My 00 model horn is above radiator, I did not see any horn near the intake resonator. Picture borrowed from Ederny's web site.
Attached Thumbnails Ramming Speed-horn.jpg  
Old 03-06-06, 12:30 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
Lexmex,
My 00 model horn is above radiator, I did not see any horn near the intake resonator. Picture borrowed from Ederny's web site.
What I did was first remove the horn I pictured. I then did beep beep and this very lame sound came out (I still cannot describe it to this day), but apparently my RX (or maybe others) has two horns that combine to make the appropriate sound.

I did locate the one shown in Ederny's picture on my own.

I later reconnected the horn and moved it to the left of that upper hole from the right side. It was partially blocking the original 1.75 inch diameter pipe that went upwards.
Attached Thumbnails Ramming Speed-hornmovedleft.jpg  
Old 03-06-06, 12:41 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

What I did was first remove the horn I pictured. I then did beep beep and this very lame sound came out (I still cannot describe it to this day), but apparently my RX (or maybe others) has two horns that combine to make the appropriate sound.
he he he...Is your RX more horny?
Seriously, I will double check this weekend since I need to replace my parking light.
Have you ever thought about replace stock horns with air horn, I mean those 18 wheelers use. You know it is very effective secret weapon at the track.

Last edited by TunedRX300; 03-06-06 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-06-06, 12:50 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

he he he...Are you your RX is more horny?
Seriously, I will double check this weekend since I need to replace my parking light.
Have you ever thought about replace stock horns with air horn, I mean those 18 wheelers use. You know it is very effective secret weapon at the track.
It was one of those strange sounds...really sad sounding...you would never hear any other place on the earth.

That would be a neat idea to use those big rig horns at the track (I was thinking of that Rodney Dangerfield movie Back to School where that one kid uses an airhorn during a diving competition).
Old 03-06-06, 01:02 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

It was one of those strange sounds...really sad sounding...you would never hear any other place on the earth.

That would be a neat idea to use those big rig horns at the track (I was thinking of that Rodney Dangerfield movie Back to School where that one kid uses an airhorn during a diving competition).
Take a look what this guy did. This thing will make whoever beat you at the track pee in his pants.

Old 03-06-06, 03:48 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I am always amazed at the contraptions people come up with. It gives me ideas.

I went to the airport and back this afternoon and one thing I started to notice on a 1/2 tank of gas (oh this new bullhorn entrance really likes to eat fuel ) that once the air hits the engine just how fast my RX pulls to 100 mph. I had no idea until I looked down at the gauge after ramming it. I also had my father and his luggage in tow. As the RX pulled, it was very smooth in going from 2nd to 3rd, but the initial 1st to 2nd is still a little choppy compared to the last bullhorn design that started this thread. I am hitting 75 to 76 mph at the finish line at my track, so this bullhorn should help.
Old 03-08-06, 09:24 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I ran my RX on the orange empty light last night. The temperature difference from night to day makes a huge difference when the air is not so heated. When the pedal is floored within a split second it takes off with that huge air entrance. Will have to wait until Friday night to test it on the track, but it definitely seems like in the first 60 feet (a track measurement tool, too) it gets going way faster with practically no lag.
Old 03-11-06, 12:16 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I would love to say I got a record, but nothing happened tonight. My dad and I ran the that RX up and and down the track, but could manage no better than 18.3. Right before 1st to 2nd change in gear (about 40 mph), the RX did not feel like it had the torque of the previous nights when my dad and I would slam the pedal from the stoplight. We later tried lowering the tires by 1 psi (they were hot and hovering around 40 psi) and reset the battery and EFI again, and ran it some more, but nothing better. I am going to add a little more Restore to the oil to help some compression. Last week, I was getting 18.2s in 60 degree weather with the 3 inch opening.

One thing we did discover that I did not notice was as loose last weekend. The accelerator cord on the throttle body definitely needs tightenting (and we will do it later this morning). Pheonix of the ES forum suggsted this to me just before I started hitting 18.0s and later the 17.931 in January, and during those times that cord was so tight you literally could play it like a violin. I need every bit of throttle response I can get now that we are in 60 degree weather at night.

Will give it another go Saturday night.

I edited this as I screwed up. The two nuts should go as far left as possible. That other one that looks similar in the lower left corner is related to cruise control. Pay attention to Pheonix' note about the throttle body butterfiles not opening all the way with pulling it all the way left. I am still experimenting with this to see if there is a result. I may take a picture later to show what it looks like at this point.

To see Pheonix' original discussion on the issue, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169193
Attached Thumbnails Ramming Speed-pict0001.jpg  

Last edited by Lexmex; 03-11-06 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-11-06, 09:07 AM
06Harrier
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rock On

Lexmex!
dood you rock. I love reading your 1/4 stories.
got to keep in mind your altitude as well. BAR
injectors? fuel rail? fulepump? vales and exhaust? (cat) header?
V-engines love a good set of headers and a solid exhaust. stroke it? knife edge the crank?
fairly easy up grades all adds to more HP.
from bike racing, the area of most force is the center/forward, so your ram air would work more eficeint if it were at the leading edege of the hood/bonnet.
check out the S2K spoon bumpers.
your running 1/4s make an addon for race day.

EDIT. could pull the interior out before you run the traps too. food for thought how muchthose seats weigh? front passenger and rear?
Old 03-11-06, 09:52 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 06Harrier
Lexmex!
dood you rock. I love reading your 1/4 stories.
got to keep in mind your altitude as well. BAR
injectors? fuel rail? fulepump? vales and exhaust? (cat) header?
V-engines love a good set of headers and a solid exhaust. stroke it? knife edge the crank?
fairly easy up grades all adds to more HP.
from bike racing, the area of most force is the center/forward, so your ram air would work more eficeint if it were at the leading edege of the hood/bonnet.
check out the S2K spoon bumpers.
your running 1/4s make an addon for race day.

EDIT. could pull the interior out before you run the traps too. food for thought how muchthose seats weigh? front passenger and rear?
No one makes a header for the RX. You can also port and polish intake manifold and throttle body, but needs to bench flow it.
I would start from the easy one, forged rims.
Old 03-11-06, 10:50 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

No one makes a header for the RX. You can also port and polish intake manifold and throttle body, but needs to bench flow it.
I would start from the easy one, forged rims.
06Harrier, thanks.

One note, with the accelerator cable, one needs to get it as tight as possible, but still allowing for the throttle body butterflies to open. One trick that works for about a minute is to push on your accelerator for about 30 seconds back and forth, and this tightens it slightly, but then goes back to normal. From what I understood from Pheonix instructions, the ES works a little bit differently from our own RXs in terms of tightening, but not by much.

TunedRX300 is right that no one makes header that fits the RX300. We have seen on past occasions headers that fit the Camry/Solara/ES300 1MZFEs from JP Performance. There is another similar header from Xerd that was also for the 1MZFE. One recent one I am following is the prototype from Megan Racing. There is a shop in Mexico City called Hangar 1 that will soon (I hope soon means like now) make headers. The designs I have seen involve greater separation on the exhaust manifolds above the respective precats and before the O2 sensors, not those long winded pipes that separate after the leaving the engine block and only meat up shortly before the main cat underneath the car. I am not sure if the ones from the companies above would fit exactly correct unlike the 1MZFE pulley from Underdog Racing that we all now know fits perfect on our RXs.

Keep in mind, I don't have precats anymore on my RX and it still passes perfectly on tailpipe down here with the 3-way highflow cat from Magnaflow (Lexmex also does not like Calfornia emissions standards being bombarded on the U.S. as his home state is not California, but he does like California quite a bit. )

Exactly right, TunedRX300, lightweight rims (and we also assume tires since we would be moving to a shorter sidewall and light keeping or expanding one size the width from the OEM tires) would also help acceleration. This topic known as unprung weight goes to the nature of weight when in rotation. The Underdog pulley is just such an example. Unfortunately, getting or importing tires and rims into Mexico is mucho dinero for Lexmex and I have not had a chance to go up to the U.S. in over a year as my uncle did the yearly maintenance checks and fluid changes (thanks in part to Toyota being here so I could get some fluids and parts).

Now, I have been thinking of upgrading my exhaust system after my resonator to a 2.50 from a 2.25 inch piping due to that turbo idea that will one day come to fruition (it's doable and we don't need to debate it...largest problem is piping).

Fuel injectors (I am thinking RC Engineering) will also be part of the equation one day, but I need a controller.

That idea about pulling the seats is okay, but our track by rule will not recognize any records on vehicles doing that, as they go into different classes. We have some people who remove seats, (tire jack, spare tire, rugs, trash are all okay to remove, along with running a low amount of gas) but the records are just for their own personal reasons. Basically one must keep a virtually stock interior. I always wondered what Lexus does when they run 1/4 mile times, since some of the their times like 16.8 for a 99 AWD never made sense to me. Even when I went under 19 seconds, I still was not hitting the sea level equivalent and that was with a direct flow muffler.

One thing I always thought about doing was scraping off that sound deadening material underneath the carpet.

I can't really put the air scoop or bullhorn as I like to call it in any different location. That is the nature of the design of the RX. Even if could, the piping would so long so as to minimize gains and there would be a lag in the pull (there still is now).

At one time, I considered another air entrance on top and in the center(not like the one I have on top now) similar to the RAV4 or Sienna, but there is just too little space on top of the radiator to make this effective as the only air entrance (one needs the lower air, too).

Keep in mind, the entrance on the other side contains the tranny cooler for those of you with it installed.

Believe me, I found it disappointing last night. I know 10 degree cooler might have gotten it much closer, but even if I don't hit a record, I would like to see some improvement down to 18.0s or 18.1s in mid 60s weather as I had last night.
Old 03-11-06, 12:35 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

This is the only other way I could figure out in how to adjust the tension, but it requires using washers place behind that metal **** you see (and you have to cut a vertical line down the washer to fit the cord through as this area does not appear to screw off). This is above the accelerator pedal. This appears to be a PITA.
Attached Thumbnails Ramming Speed-pict0009.jpg  
Old 03-11-06, 02:04 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I examined the butterflies on the throttle body and at WOT, the difference in angle of the opening versus before is about a line going from the front of this sentence to the end of the previous above...very minimal.
Old 03-11-06, 04:12 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Lexmex, when I replace stock parking light with 9LED bulb, I checked my RX and it also has the horn. But I do not have to relocate it.

Quick Reply: Ramming Speed