RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

radio dash kit & radio wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-06 | 11:47 PM
JDMHARRIER
Driver

Default radio dash kit & radio wiring harness

... ok today i went to couple of local stereo stores to look for radio dash kit .... doesnt anyone make one for the RX ????? i dont wanna do a custom one... but the funny thing was couple of stores offer me a GS400 dash kit sayin it would work and it will fit prefect and i told them i have a rx300.. they keep saying it will fit prefect... do i look stupid or something thinking in my head... i wonder does these guys have any clue to what they are doing or have any experience in stereo .. i also found this online ... http://www.autotoys.com/x/catalog/LE...R__p_1133.html ... what do you guys think of it?
Old 03-03-06 | 09:32 AM
salimshah

Depends on what you are really trying to do ..

If you want to replace head units + display (or even the cd changer) you will have a hard time. Quality fit and finish will be extremely difficult. The improvement in after market sound will come at a cost of detracted appeal (imho).

Then there is the issue of tapping into existing system. You run into the issue of serial control protocol (Lexus has held it close to their chest) and also the fact that differntial signals are sent between units (L+/L-, R+/R- pairs vs the plain L & R). [The differential signals are lot more immune to noise but are some what non-standard].

All of the above makes it hard for after-market to make things specific to Lexus.

You will be able to find connectors that mate with connectors used by Lexus/toyota, but you need to do your home work as to how you will use/connect signals.

Salim
Old 03-03-06 | 01:37 PM
LiqrSicc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JDMHARRIER
... ok today i went to couple of local stereo stores to look for radio dash kit .... doesnt anyone make one for the RX ????? i dont wanna do a custom one... but the funny thing was couple of stores offer me a GS400 dash kit sayin it would work and it will fit prefect and i told them i have a rx300.. they keep saying it will fit prefect... do i look stupid or something thinking in my head... i wonder does these guys have any clue to what they are doing or have any experience in stereo .. i also found this online ... http://www.autotoys.com/x/catalog/LE...R__p_1133.html ... what do you guys think of it?

dont feel stupid. a lot of these mobile audio shops do not know what they're talkin about. last summer I called a number of shops to see who can install a deck into my 2000 rx300. they all said it was no problem.... until I actually took the car in for them to see. I've seen it done (you can find some on cardomain) but it is all custom work. I been quoted anywhere from $800-$1600 to make a custom dash kit and to relocate the stock unit. I actually had a plan to have one custom installed right under the stock radio (right where the switches to the heated seats and the lighter are). But the problem was the monitor would come out and hit the shift **** unless the shifter was in nuetral. I've even goine as far as thinkin about shortening the shift **** but I dont know how. And to complicate things, the angle in which I would have to mount the DVD player was almost 30 degrees(some players will have difficulty reading a disc at this angle). There is a lot of room behind that console to mount whatever you want to put in. In fact I'm still thinkin about doin it in the future. do you know f that harness will fit the stock premium (non-nakamichi)?
Old 03-03-06 | 03:44 PM
JDMHARRIER
Driver

they do have one for a non-nakamichi and a nakamichi .. i might get that to test it out for fun... never hurt to try
Old 03-05-06 | 11:08 AM
LiqrSicc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JDMHARRIER
they do have one for a non-nakamichi and a nakamichi .. i might get that to test it out for fun... never hurt to try

from the link you posted above? let me know how it goes
Old 03-06-06 | 01:05 AM
FunGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Why would you want to use the stock amplifier?