RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

2002 RX300 Pre-purchase advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-06, 04:05 PM
Topshelf
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 RX300 Pre-purchase advice needed

Hey all, newbie here. I'm looking to get my wife into a nice RX300. I found a 2002 silver with 61,000 miles, tan leather and heated seats that she really likes. Took it for a test drive and it seemed nice. I know that the transmissions and the engine sludge are the 2 concerns, so I was wondering if you guys could tell me exactly what it is that I should be looking for or trying to feel while driving the car that would tip me off to any problems. I did notice the tiniest ticking noise while idling, but it didn't sound like anything to be overly concerned about, but that's why I'm asking. I do have 1 relatively major concern though...there was an extreme amount of wind noise coming from the windshield. I went back today since nobody was there for a thorough check, and I noticed 2 things that I believe are causing it. First, the passenger side glass moulding is not tight from the mid-point down. I don't know how it's held in place, but this needs to be addressed. Secondly, the top of the windshield appears to have a gap between the moulding and the roof line. There was a '99 right next to it, and that was butted up tight as a drum. My guess is some second rate installer replaced the windshield. Do you think this could all be easily fixed by having a pro remove eveything and reinstall the windshield? If so, any idea on cost? I was thinking about $200. Lastly, do you think it would be a good deal for around $19,000-$19,500? They are asking $21k, but I figure between the new tires ($600), windshield reseal ($200?), transmission service ($150?), inspection ($100...currently NJ, need PA) and the 60k service ($500?) I should be able to get them down to about $19k. If not, there's way too many out there to overpay.

Thanks for any help you guys have to give on this as I'm looking to get the wife into something I don't have to be concerned about.

OH, one other question. I always hear people say to check the service records. How the heck do you do that? Can I just call up a Lexus dealer with the vin? Is it free? Or do I need to go into a dealer to have this done?
Old 03-06-06, 04:36 PM
Topshelf
Driver

Thanks guys
Old 03-06-06, 06:16 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like you've got a pretty good handle on the situation. You know about the two biggest problems. You won't notice anything on the test drive that would alert you to engine sludge; I don't know if the trans problem shows any advance warning signs, either. If you do notice a trans problem, I'd walk away - I wouldn't just ask to have the trans serviced.

The ticking noise you're hearing is perfectly normal - every RX I've owned has had the ticking noise. I think it's lifters or injectors, and it's a design "feature".

I would agree that it sounds like the windshield was replaced, and not well!

According to Edmunds and Kelley Blue Book (average the two), wholesale on that car is around $20K in good, clean condition, making retail about $24K. Of course if it needs work, those numbers come down.

About the service records.... many (but not all) Lexus dealers share a computerized system for tracking service work done on the car. Lexus maintains a national database for tracking warranty repairs, but Lexus doesn't track routine maintenance. You can try to ask any Lexus dealer for a service record based on the VIN. I'm not sure if they will do it or not... it helps a lot if you're buying the used RX at a Lexus dealer. Call a few and see what happens.
Old 03-06-06, 06:28 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My advice would be to pass on this RX. You have determined problems with the vehicle, and are figuring low price repairs. The windshield rarely can be reinstalled with the RTV used today. They crack and you'll want a new one, but not for $200. Add a thousand and you might be close. Don't bargain on what should be done, bargain after it's done to your satisfaction. If you get any pushback, run away. There is always another Lexus that meets your needs.
The AWD transmission, as commented on your other post, is of high concern. Cherry red is the color of the Toyota type IV ATF fluid. Clear is the brake fluid. Dexron Red is the color of the power steering fluid. Check the hole between the transmission and engine for rear main seal oil leak. Suggest on having the exhaust inspected for cracks due to improper lifting at a repair facility. Additionally, the front and rear axle driveshaft CV boots checked for cracks, both inner and outer.
A Carfax is a start on the history ..http://www.carfax.com/
Old 03-06-06, 08:18 PM
Topshelf
Driver

Thanks! Good info. I've already decided to pass on that particular RX due to reasons mentioned. I've found 2 Coach editions in white that I'm going to look at tomorrow. Hopefully I can deal a bit on the first one as it has everything I could want in an RX including nav. If not, there's only about 3000 others to look at.

I called my local Lexus dealer today and he said to bring the vin in and they could check records. But I get the feeling I shouldn't call him with a list of 10 potentials. I've been running carfax like a mad man for the last few days, and most come up very clean. Always good to know though. Actually, 1 came up with Vehicle Serviced - Electrical System Serviced. I've never seen that before. Is that just normal work done by a qualified shop that was reported?

Thanks again. Hoping to surprise the wife when she gets back from a business trip on Friday.