RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Factory Xenon vs. Halogen....big difference?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-06, 10:37 AM
Topshelf
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Xenon vs. Halogen....big difference?

Are the factory HID's on the 2002 RX300's good enough to warrant the extra cash? I'm a huge fan of HID, but I was getting the impression that these are nothing too spectacular. Even if they aren't top rated, are they better than factory halogens? Just wondering, cause if not, I might just buy an RX without the HID option, and do an after market upgrade instead.
Old 03-07-06, 01:35 PM
salimshah

Received 1,046 Likes on 944 Posts

Back in 98 when we were buying the GS, I was some what adament that HID are not needed, but we al lknow that how Lexus/Toyota bundle stuff and and we ended with one with HID.

I quickly realized that the HIDs are more function than form (by form I mean how they look from the outside). The night vision imporved considerabley. (more than 10% but no scientific data).

Economics: The factory HIDs are not that expensive, once you look at the complete package. After market HIDs and improper installation should not be an option [Hint; no self levelling].

Spend the extra money and get the factory HIDs.

Salim
Old 03-07-06, 01:40 PM
Frankr66
Pole Position

throwing aftermarket HID bulbs into a non projector housing causes tons of glare and makes the vehicle much more unsafe than a proper projector HID install
Old 03-07-06, 02:26 PM
Topshelf
Driver

I figured as much. I really want them on the RX, but I have a pretty good deal lined up on one without them. My wifes been driving for the last 3 years with them on her C230 and says she won't drive anything without them now...and she's getting the RX.
Old 03-07-06, 03:18 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankr66
throwing aftermarket HID bulbs into a non projector housing causes tons of glare and makes the vehicle much more unsafe than a proper projector HID install
OEM HID for the RX300 are reflector housed not projector housed.
Old 03-07-06, 03:34 PM
Topshelf
Driver

So does that mean that the rebased HID's would work fine then? This is one of those topics that no matter how much I read, I'm still confused at the end of the day.

Would something like this be as good or better than stock HID?

Rebased HID's
Old 03-07-06, 03:44 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Salim, same here, they came with the car packaged - I love the view at night and the clean light especially compared to my 20-tear-old Honda's yellowish light. For a reasonable price I wouldn't do without them now.

Edit 3/12/06: I just realized that the high beams do not seem to be HID, that light seems noticeably yellowy to me compared to the low beams, even in the garage against a white wall. A copy of my original sticker just says High Intensity Headlamps HID $515.

Last edited by parula; 03-12-06 at 05:40 AM.
Old 03-07-06, 05:24 PM
sharpener
Driver

go for the stock HID, u can t be wrong. if not mistaken its D2R cos its reflector based. anythime ur not happy with the lights color, u could just swap them easily
Old 03-07-06, 06:16 PM
salimshah

Received 1,046 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Topshelf
I figured as much. I really want them on the RX, but I have a pretty good deal lined up on one without them. My wifes been driving for the last 3 years with them on her C230 and says she won't drive anything without them now...and she's getting the RX.
I think your past exerience is working against you [Price only]. The HID option on c230 is and was absurdly high. Not so in Lexus.

Salim
[working on my 1000 post]
Old 03-07-06, 06:54 PM
Lexwang07

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock RX300 HID not really brighter as an aftermarket sells on store and internet! I prefer, aftermarket HID much brighter and choices of color! My RX300 halogen light bulbs drive fine on me; if you had bad eyes vision! Many people had HID their cars! It may hurt people blocked vision while driving! Factory HID great!
Old 03-07-06, 07:12 PM
steevr
Pole Position

Go with the factory HID's. I have them and the visibility especially on wet roads is excellent. I also have a '97 Lincoln with halogens and I constantly have to check to make sure the lights are on.

Even if you get rebased bulbs for a halogen setup, it still won't be as good as OEM because you'll not only lose the self leveling, but if you pay close attention, the reflectors between the halogen and HID are different. The halogen has a smooth reflector with the exception of a few verticle lines going through the center of the refector. THe HID reflector has many facets over the entire surface of the reflector.
Old 03-07-06, 08:19 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Topshelf
Are the factory HID's on the 2002 RX300's good enough to warrant the extra cash? I'm a huge fan of HID, but I was getting the impression that these are nothing too spectacular. Even if they aren't top rated, are they better than factory halogens? Just wondering, cause if not, I might just buy an RX without the HID option, and do an after market upgrade instead.
I have a 2002 RX300 with HID. Definitely go with the factory HID. I believe the RX300 has the best HID anywhere. It spreads out the light evenly all over the road without blinding oncoming traffic. Many other HIDs (such as X5 & RX330) use projector HID that flashes oncoming traffic and gives you little peripheral vision.

Halogen reflectors work differently than HID's. So if you put an HID kit in a halogen housing, prepare to be flashed by others all the time. Also aftermarket HID is actually illegal despite what the vendor might tell you. (Any kind of headlamp mod is illegal, period.) Also no auto-leveling.

Again, go with the factory HID. You won't regret it.
Old 03-07-06, 08:34 PM
Topshelf
Driver

Point taken, and I've located a fully loaded '02 WITH factory HID's that I should be checking out this weekend. Only thing it doesn't have is nav, but I can live with that. Thanks for straightening me out guys.

Oh, and I'll be very curious to see the difference between these and the C230. Should be a cool comparo.
Old 03-07-06, 10:39 PM
sharpener
Driver

by the way, get HID for ur foh light too
Old 03-08-06, 04:12 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
It spreads out the light evenly all over the road without blinding oncoming traffic. Many other HIDs (such as X5 & RX330) use projector HID that flashes oncoming traffic and gives you little peripheral vision.
I love the wide white light I get with HIDs - I cannot remember oncoming cars flashing high beams to get me to lower mine. And the dynamic vertical beam alignment when starting the car is super cool! I wish these cars had the horizontal dynamic directional beams!

Quick Reply: Factory Xenon vs. Halogen....big difference?