RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

coolant leak/streaks on back side of block

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-06, 08:34 AM
RNDRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant leak/streaks on back side of block

I have a 99 RX 300 with 65,000 actual miles. It runs really well and has been well cared for.

When I was under it the other day I noticed to pink streaks of dry antifreeze (it has the dexcool in it) that had stained the block as it at some time much earlier leaked down from the head to the bottom of the block. You can also see where the anti freeze has crusted together in a outside cavity of the back of the block (firewall side). However, there is no active leak and it has been there for months with no change and does not leak. I am hoping I am not looking at a new head gasket, but I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this type of leak that dries up and leaks cno more, especially on the firewall side of the head and block. The other side is fine.

I bought it used last June and the owner had the cooling system flushed at the local Lexus dealer right before he traded it in so the coolant is very clean. Is it possible that they blew a head gasket when they flushed it and it sealed itself up again. I have been watching it closely and the reservoir doesn't go down an inch.

Also, when doing city driving the temp gauge runs just a hair above the middle of the guage which seems a little warm? Is this typical running temp for other RX 300's?

Anything would help.

Last edited by RNDRX; 03-15-06 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-15-06, 09:21 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RNDRX
I have a 99 RX 300 with 65,000 actual miles. It runs really well and has been well cared for.

When I was under it the other day I noticed to pink streaks of dry antifreeze (it has the dexcool in it) that had stained the block as it at some time much earlier leaked down from the head to the bottom of the block. You can also see where the anti freeze has crusted together in a outside cavity of the back of the block (firewall side). However, there is no active leak and it has been there for months with no change and does not leak. I am hoping I am not looking at a new head gasket, but I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this type of leak that dries up and leaks cno more, especially on the firewall side of the head and block. The other side is fine.

I bought it used last June and the owner had the cooling system flushed at the local Lexus dealer right before he traded it in so the coolant is very clean. Is it possible that they blew a head gasket when they flushed it and it sealed itself up again. I have been watching it closely and the reservoir doesn't go down an inch.

Also, when doing city driving the temp gauge runs just a hair above the middle of the guage which seems a little warm? Is this typical running temp for other RX 300's?

Anything would help.
Your temp gauge reading is normal. If your RX was serviced by Lexus I doubt very much that it has Dexcool in it. Dexcool is orange in color and used by GM. It is more likey that you have Toyota Long Life Red, which came in a 99 RX, or Toyota Ultra Long Life Pink. It sounds like some was spilled and not cleaned up during the flushing process. I wouldn't worry about it unless your level drops.
Old 03-15-06, 09:30 AM
BOWTIE 3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Keak

This usually indicates the head-gasket is leaking. I have seen examples of this happening on RX300's and ES300's. Quite often it occurs internally, completely hid from external observation, mixing with the oil and causing the feared " oil-jelling ". [ Usually blamed on the vehicle owner for NOT providing proper maint. ] A friend who owns an independent shop had an ES300 in for the same problem a few months ago. Car was out of warranty [ years and miles ] . Friend advised owner to call Lexus Customer 800 number for help. The factory notified dealer. Dealer called independent shop owner. Bottom line; Lexus replaced BOTH head gaskets for NO CHARGE! Amazing!