RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX 300 Wheel Torque specs

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-06, 09:25 AM
RNDRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX 300 Wheel Torque specs

Does anyone know the wheel torque specs for a 99 RX 300?
Old 03-15-06, 11:00 AM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like to think that 60-70 ft lbs is sufficient for most passenger vehicles.

specifically aluminum wheels
Old 03-15-06, 01:58 PM
BurnishedGoldRX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RNDRX
Does anyone know the wheel torque specs for a 99 RX 300?
According to the Lexus repair manual, the answer is... hard to find. But it says 76 lb ft.
Old 03-15-06, 10:56 PM
salimshah

Received 1,082 Likes on 974 Posts

And don't forget anti-sieze compund.

tip: Torque regular nuts first and the key lock nut last. (the key lock should be loosened first whne you intend to remove the wheel.

Salim
..four ..
Old 03-15-06, 11:20 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Be careful with lube the stud with anything oil based. Torque specification is for dry and clean lug nuts. Check out this thread.
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...pic=22940&st=0
Old 03-16-06, 06:55 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I tend to agree with those that use a high temp grease on lug nuts. The lug nuts stay consistant and torque smooth and even. I also learned to use the formula of (Dry Torque Spec. X 1.17 X 0.80) years ago for the wet adjusted specification. .

The lug nuts used on the Lexus include a flat washer to prevent the steel nut from damaging the aluminum wheel hole. ( As the nut is tightened, it bores into the steel washer which then presses flat into the wheel.) Thus, the torque would be 76 Ft Lb X 1.17 X 0.80 = 71.136 (71 Ft Lbs). I use the easy to remember torque of 70 Ft Lb. ("wet" or greased)

Additionally, I install the wheel lock directly opposite the valve stem on all four wheels. More cosmetic than functional...
Old 03-16-06, 02:55 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

The idea is not to torque 76 lbs-ft AND apply anti-seize. I believe wheels are taken off in a much frequent interval and endure lower temperature than spark plug or exhaust components. The benefit of anti-seize may not be as apparent.
Old 03-16-06, 03:28 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Make sure you don't overtorque them. A few months after I brought my RX down to Mexico and bought the CrossTerrains in place of my Michelins, the tire place (that I still use to this day) noticed two of the lugnuts were just spinning in place on the same tire from overtightening (not sure where it happened), but luckily I made a trip up to Lexus the following weekend and had the everything fixed.
Old 03-16-06, 04:29 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Over torque is one of main causes for brake rotor warping. You will be surprised how much force tire and brake shops torque your wheels. On one instance some idiot torqued my left rear wheel to 200lbs-ft, I know it since I had to constantly increase the "click" limit on my torque wrench in order to take lug nuts off.

Last edited by TunedRX300; 03-16-06 at 10:56 PM.
Old 03-16-06, 10:21 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
Over torque is one of main causes for brake rotor warping. You will be surprised how much force tire and brake shops torque your wheels. On one instance some idiot torqued my left rear wheel to 200lbs-ft, I know it since I had to constantly turn increase the "click" limit on my torque wrench in order to take lug nuts off.
I have actually had one more issue with one of my lugnuts last year...the top part of one literally came off leaving the rest of the screw exposed to the elements. Really strange.

Up here in Mexico City, warped rotors are common whether you race or not.
Old 03-17-06, 03:53 PM
salimshah

Received 1,082 Likes on 974 Posts

Any, ME out there who can comment on this?

With the floating rotor, the over-torque to warping may not be realted any more.

I can understand why the rotor would get warped when the studs were part of the rotor assembly, as the five studs would be stretched based on the toque and apply deforming force at the pinnacles of the pentagon.

With the floating rotor, the rotor gets squeezed at the five stud position. The stress does not go away but it is no longer as five point pull to the outside (away from the vehicle).

I hope the above makes sense (even if people disagree).

Salim
[... 1 ]

Note: With alloy wheels, always re-torque after couple of days of first install.
Old 06-10-06, 01:38 PM
wing0
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

man....talk about bad luck.

I had a shop that I usually go and have them rotate my tires($10 is not worth the time for me to jack up all 4 ends of the car)
So I was curious and checked if the torque was good......
I broke my socket on one, trying to loosen it. It was so tight, it must have went over 100lb/ft for sure.
So instead, I had to get another socket for $10(lifetime warranty this time) and took it off.
I hate shops that use airguns....
Old 06-10-06, 03:40 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Talk about breaking socket, I just busted a brand new Craftsman 1/2 inch drive extension bar trying to take off the spindle nut to replace a broken stud, I must applied > 300lb-fts. Only thing that moves is a piece of metal screaming off the Craftsman socket.
When someone over-tightens, most likely lug nuts are un-evenly over-tightened. My theory is all mechanics under the sun overtighten to make $ - you have to go back to someone with an impact wrench for routine DIY work. $0.02
Old 06-11-06, 07:13 AM
wing0
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
Talk about breaking socket, I just busted a brand new Craftsman 1/2 inch drive extension bar trying to take off the spindle nut to replace a broken stud, I must applied > 300lb-fts. Only thing that moves is a piece of metal screaming off the Craftsman socket.
When someone over-tightens, most likely lug nuts are un-evenly over-tightened. My theory is all mechanics under the sun overtighten to make $ - you have to go back to someone with an impact wrench for routine DIY work. $0.02
The thing is, I was going to rotate the tires myself. Already jacked up the front of the car up but I gave up when I couldn't jack up the back high enough and find points where I can let it sit on the stand. The car already has high ground clearence that a jack can't get it high enough for the wheels to get off the ground. If i can find the right tools, I'd do the wheels myself because I KNOW i will not OVERTIGHTEN the nuts with the torque wrench.
Old 06-11-06, 07:39 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A three ton hydraulic floor jack should provide you with the height needed.

Quick Reply: RX 300 Wheel Torque specs