RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

99 rx300, engine wont start after battery died

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-06, 06:53 PM
smokedawgs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 rx300, engine wont start after battery died

i recently took my car in to get a bumper repaired. it was driven to my house and parked. when i came to pick it up a light was left on and the car battery was dead. so i tried boosting it and it cranked ok but the engine wouldnt start. left it foor 10 minutes and the same thing. the engine is cranking like normal but it just wont start up. also i noticed the red security light is constantly flashing now. when the doors are locked or unlocked. with the key in or out. normally it would turn off once the key was in right. so does that mean something is going on with the immobilizer system?? if so can i fix it somehow?? anyone hepl me out
Old 04-06-06, 09:32 PM
salimshah

Received 1,050 Likes on 948 Posts

Have not run into this problem but this is what I would do ..

Try the other master key.

Disconnect battery for 15~20 minutes and connect again. [may not work but give it a try].

Also try called Lexus assistance and see if they can walk you through the steps.

Last of all please write how it got fixed.

[note: if you have to take the RX to the dealer remember to bring all keys ,,, if there is a problem with the key registration]

Salim
Old 10-03-06, 09:36 AM
dekunder
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by smokedawgs
i recently took my car in to get a bumper repaired. it was driven to my house and parked. when i came to pick it up a light was left on and the car battery was dead. so i tried boosting it and it cranked ok but the engine wouldnt start. left it foor 10 minutes and the same thing. the engine is cranking like normal but it just wont start up. also i noticed the red security light is constantly flashing now. when the doors are locked or unlocked. with the key in or out. normally it would turn off once the key was in right. so does that mean something is going on with the immobilizer system?? if so can i fix it somehow?? anyone hepl me out
I have the same problem today,
Can you tell me what you did to solve the problem.

Regards,
de kunder
Dominican Republic
Old 10-03-06, 12:40 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by dekunder
I have the same problem today,
Can you tell me what you did to solve the problem.

Regards,
de kunder
Dominican Republic
I would still do what Salimshah mentioned earlier first.

Then, try putting in a different battery, start up the vehicle, and then put in the old battery. Trust me, the alternator will have enough juice sucked in from the new battery to get it going. The old battery should recharge.

I would have to wait until I get home to get a closer look at the manual to see if there is something else at play here, but an immobilizer system should eventually get reset with the battery with most vehicles, if that is indeed the case.

If not, let me take a look.
Old 10-04-06, 04:52 PM
dekunder
Driver School Candidate

Dear Lexmex,

I found the problem. And if you like it,you can simulate it also.
The EFI relais in the main relais box under de hood was broken.
The coil of the relais was ok but the contact didn't switch.

So problem solved. I will take a picture if you are interested but I know that you know this car much better then I do.

Thanks a lot to all the people who gave hints and sugestions to solve my problem.

Regards,

Wim de Kunder
Old 10-04-06, 04:57 PM
dekunder
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexmex

Dear Lexmex,

There was something else which was not posible at this point.
I coudn't start the engine even when it was cranking.
But at this point I also coudn't read out the code's which could have helped me out.

Regards,

Wim de Kunder

Dominican Republic
Old 10-04-06, 06:44 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dekunder
Dear Lexmex,

There was something else which was not posible at this point.
I coudn't start the engine even when it was cranking.
But at this point I also coudn't read out the code's which could have helped me out.

Regards,

Wim de Kunder

Dominican Republic
Just so I am correct, are saying that you still have an issue when you try to turn on the vehicle even after fixing the EFI relay?

A bad EFI fuse or relay will not let anything run...that is a given. I know exactly where you are talking about.

The only way you can read the codes is via and OBDII (some people say OBD2) scanner (in Spanish here in Mexico they would say un diagnóstico via computadora and I would not think the definition would differ too much in the Dominican Republic). I would think some auto mechanics there would have this device, including just about any large place that services cars as it is a common device and not specific to Lexus. If you can get your hands on this device, look below the area the little compartment where you put coins and there is a small black cover if you pull it off (look just above where the emergency or hand brake is and you will see this port) that is where you stick the code reader. If you do get those codes, I can definitely help you.

If you do have a check engine light in the future, you can pull that yellow EFI fuse in the fusebox for a few seconds and then put it back in...thay should resest the check engine light.

Another way, which might be easier is to pull the cable on the negative side of the battery for a few seconds and then put it back on. That will clear the computer of any codes. This what Salimshah was mentioning earlier.

I am aware that there is only one Lexus dealer, actually it is a Toyota dealer, in Santo Domingo. If for some unfortunate reason, you have to take it there for something in the future, I would be more than happy to write any email you need in Spanish (those automotive terms can be hard sometimes) telling them what they need to check.
Old 10-04-06, 06:59 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

This is the location of the OBDII or OBD2 port. Just pull off the black plastic cover and stick in the scanner and then one can read the codes.
Attached Thumbnails 99 rx300, engine wont start after battery died-obdiiarea.jpg  
Old 10-04-06, 07:02 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

This the famous EFI Fuse we always talk about (outlined in blue). It is a yellow 20 amp fuse. Pulling this out for a few second and putting it back in will reset the Check Engine Light. However, if there are permanent codes (a.k.a. real problems) this light will come back on.
Attached Thumbnails 99 rx300, engine wont start after battery died-efifuse.jpg  
Old 10-05-06, 10:55 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

And this is the OBDII scanner I keep in my vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails 99 rx300, engine wont start after battery died-actronscanner.jpg  
Old 10-05-06, 02:53 PM
dekunder
Driver School Candidate

Default OBD scanner

What does something cost?

And I am origanal Dutch and can understand the spanish.
We live here for fun, and we like it a lot.

The RX is running fine at this moment and a tool like the hands on OBD is nice to have

See you later Lexmex
Old 10-05-06, 02:54 PM
dekunder
Driver School Candidate

And I saw on your website a lot of red wires for earth.
What is the reason for that?
Old 10-05-06, 03:44 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Que tan bueno, entonces podemos hablar en español en este foro y comenzar CluboLexus.

My Actron OBDII scanner cost me about $80 USD in the United States. Sometimes they are on sale for as low as $50 USD.

I just checked on ebay type in obd2 and they have a lot of good quality ones available for under $50 USD.

They do pay for themselves. I can tell you that Toyota here used to charge about $25 USD to do a diagnostics and several local mechanics here in Mexico will charge $10 USD. My uncle has a higher priced model that gives a little more information ($150 USD model), but he checks vehicles as a goodwill. It only works with vehicles with the OBDII port, generally vehicles 1996 and newer.

The grounding wires are from here, http://www.sunautomobile.com/products_hyperground.htm

Basically, I am trying to max out performance. They can give you slightly brighter lights, better sound and some more hp. Ideally, what they do there is less electrical intereference with the signals between the ECM (car's computer) and the rest of the vehicle.

For my racing habits, I noticed my launches (60 foot times) are more consistent, and a little better throttle response.

In truth, you can probably use something like Monster cable (I once did) and make your own grounding points (we can help with that) and save some $$$.

Several of the RX300 owners on this forum have this kit or one like it, even homemade ones.
Old 10-11-06, 06:19 PM
dekunder
Driver School Candidate

Default Obdii

Hello Lexmex

A friend of mine is flying to Canada today.
So he will bring me an OBDII on his way back.

I will need it because the ABS light came on today.
And I did an emergency brake test and the wheels were blocking. So there is a fault to read out.(I hope)
So I hope when he is back if I can find something.

Regards,

Wim de Kunder
Old 10-11-06, 06:29 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

According to my manual, I am not positive that the OBDII scanner will work in this particular case. (You still should have one of these anyways, it will pay for itself no matter what vehicle you have).

There is a hand-held scanner that Lexus (I would assume that one dealer there) mentioned that reads DTC codes.

The list of possible issues is long and there are a lot of sensors and circuits that could come into play.

I would still pull the battery to try to reset this to see if it works. If not, we can try to go through the steps, but it will be long.

Quick Reply: 99 rx300, engine wont start after battery died