RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Is it my fuel pump or a sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-06 | 07:47 AM
BimmerLovr
Driver School Candidate

Default Is it my fuel pump or a sensor

My 2000 RX300 started surging (very mildly) while driving for about 20min at 75mph with the cruise on. It was a very slight surge, almost like the cruise control couldn't settle on my target speed. After about 4 min of driving at 75mph the engine died and the dash lights came on. I coasted to a stop but I couldn't get it to restart after that. Not even firing.

Any ideas?

Thanks-
Old 04-10-06 | 08:49 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

You didn't mention the mileage.. Or the maintenance history and which owner are you...original; second ?

You may have broken your timing belt.

Any one of several sensors could have failed.. Engine diagnostics sensed the failure and the engine shuts down...and "the dash lights come on".

As for advice as to where to start, you will need to have the on board diagnostics read at the OBD-II port at the base of the driver's side dash. This should give you an idea where the problem resides. Write down all the errors sequentially... realizing one error may be a result of the previous error or a cause in itself...
Old 04-10-06 | 09:35 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

As a wild guess, it sounds like a fuel delivery problem - simply because of the surging you experienced. That is unlike an ignition problem that usually fails by switching off altogether. Is there fuel in the tank , or was the fuel level low (contaminated fuel?). Fuel filter, Fuel pump, timing belt, or another major failure seems to be indicated. As Tammy noted - get the OBD codes read and start from there.
Old 04-10-06 | 09:54 AM
BimmerLovr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tammy
You didn't mention the mileage.. Or the maintenance history and which owner are you...original; second ?

You may have broken your timing belt.

Any one of several sensors could have failed.. Engine diagnostics sensed the failure and the engine shuts down...and "the dash lights come on".

As for advice as to where to start, you will need to have the on board diagnostics read at the OBD-II port at the base of the driver's side dash. This should give you an idea where the problem resides. Write down all the errors sequentially... realizing one error may be a result of the previous error or a cause in itself...
Thanks Tammy-here's what I have:

47K-2nd owner (2 years now). All maint performed mostly by the dealere accept oil.

I just got word from the shop I towed to that it's the timing belt. From what little experience I can understand that caused the engine failure, but not sure if the pulsing/surging would be connected-any thoughts.

Any thoughts on how user servicable the belt is for very mechanically inclined?
Old 04-10-06 | 11:10 AM
salimshah

There has been ample discussion on timing belt replacement. Search will help. It is something that can be done by an avid DIY provide you have tools and know how. Look at the access (or lack of access) to figure out if you can do it yourself or not.

Seems early (milage wise) for t-belt to fail. Discuss it with dealership (if that is where yor RX is).

Salim
Old 04-10-06 | 11:11 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Insure your shop understands how to checkout the valve train on each head. The Variable Valve Timing mechanism failure causes the belt to snap, as I understand. You don't want to replace multiple belts.

My recommendation would be if the shop is experienced in the V V T-i and replacing the timing belt, have them do it... Otherwise, I would lean towards Toyota, since they would have parts access and the experienced technicians.
Old 04-10-06 | 12:08 PM
salimshah

Oh yeah, with the broken belt, the task is not as simple as bring the main pully at a specified location and slip off the belt and slip the new one on. You need to lign up all the valve trains.

Salim