RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Need “how to” access my RX antenna motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-06, 09:38 AM
jime
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need “how to” access my RX antenna motor

I spent the last half hour using “Search” function and could not find instructions on how to access my 2000 RX antenna motor.

The antenna broke and I got some great help from this site as to how to replace it. It now groans loudly as it tries unsuccessfully to go down the last 6 inches. I assume that the broken piece of the cable is still inside the assembly and that I will need to remove the assembly to take out the broken piece.

I have never taken any part of the car apart and am looking for some general information on taking off the right rear interior panel so that I can get to the antenna motor assembly.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 04-10-06, 04:12 PM
jime
Driver School Candidate

Smile Repair completed sucessfully

With no response over several hours I figured the job couldn’t be too hard.

I just kept taking off panels until I could get to the antenna motor assembly. I had to remove the motor to take it apart. The most confusing removal issue was the antenna motor drain hose as I could not see how to remove it. I finally just pulled it out of the drain hole – that was correct and it went back in very easily later.

The motor was held together by about 6 screws. I opened it up, took out a piece of cable that was about 10 inches long, and then put the motor back together again.

Total time for disassembly, motor repair and reassembly was 1 ˝ hour, including the 20 minutes it took to get the cable back it. It was now greasy and coiled, and was very hard to get back in. I think I could do the job in about 45 minutes now that I know how.
Old 04-11-06, 04:50 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

jime, thanks for the info. I need to take apart my RX's antenna motor one of these days too. When did you reinstall the good mast, before or after you reattached the motor assembly to the body?
Old 04-11-06, 05:16 AM
jime
Driver School Candidate

I installed the antenna after I reinstalled the motor using the “turn off the radio and feed the antenna cable” method. I found it very difficult as the cable was “coiled” and greasy.

But if I had it to do over again I would try to install the antenna when I had the motor assembly taken apart. I think I could have just slipped it right in place and visibly ensured that the cable teeth matched up with the motor teeth.