RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

P1135 and drive cycles

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-06, 01:40 PM
jojatk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1135 and drive cycles

Hi folks. I'm new here and I just recently got a used 2001 RX300. The other day the check engine light came on along with the VSC and traction control lights so I took the car over to Autozone and they read the code for me and it came up with only one code and that was P1135.

So I researched this site and another forum and came up with a few options and one of them that I saw was that I may have overfilled my gas tank and going through a "drive cycle" may get rid of it after I open up the gas cap and let the fumes out. This is actually possible since I went to a gas station the other day, filled up my tank and had the pump set on the lowest flow available so it would fill it pretty well as the station had good prices. Then when I put the cap back on I'm not sure I let it click or not.

Lots of preamble here, I know, and the simple question is does anyone know what constitutes the appropriate "drive cycle" for the 2001 RX300 (2WD)? I know what a drive cycle is, I was just curious if anyone knows the procedure for this model. I can't find it anywhere on the internet (of course perhaps I'm not looking in the right place). I've seen a few examples of what drive cycles might be and based on those descriptions (which usually include some higher speed runs or at least putting some stress on the engine like running the A/C for 15 minutes) I haven't done anything close to going through a drive cycle since the light came on so I probably haven't gone through a "drive cycle."

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm hoping that it isn't the sensor that is indicated by the p1135 code.

If I do have to take it in for some service can some of you recommend good places in the Atlanta, GA area? Or if there is a good list already posted let me know that and I'll try harder to find it.
Old 05-08-06, 08:04 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

You might have on O2 sensor issue if the problem is repetitive with that code. Otherwise, just pull the EFI fuse in the fusebox in your engine bay (with the RX off and the key not in the ignition) for a few seconds and reset the light that way.

What you are describing on the drive cycle is indeed another way to rest the light, but over time.

I once got a light for what I have no doubt was a P0171 error about 3.5 years ago driving along a highway and after I stopped for gas, no more light, so the drive cycle can fix the error.
Old 05-09-06, 06:33 AM
jojatk
Driver School Candidate

Default Excellent!!!

Thank you so much Lexmex. That does indeed sound like a much easier method than trying to go through a drive cycle

Originally Posted by Lexmex
You might have on O2 sensor issue if the problem is repetitive with that code. Otherwise, just pull the EFI fuse in the fusebox in your engine bay (with the RX off and the key not in the ignition) for a few seconds and reset the light that way.

What you are describing on the drive cycle is indeed another way to rest the light, but over time.

I once got a light for what I have no doubt was a P0171 error about 3.5 years ago driving along a highway and after I stopped for gas, no more light, so the drive cycle can fix the error.
Old 05-09-06, 07:39 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

The drive cycle itself can be checked via an OBDII scanner that has readiness monitors. Fortunately, since my home state of Florida doesn't have testing and Mexico can't force me to test, I never care much, but if you live in an emissions state, readiness monitors may be part of the testing.

What I would recommend you do is pull that fuse and then drive around for about an hour with a mix of highway and city driving, then the next day go by the Autozone again and ask to them check your car with one of the scanners that tests the readiness monitors. There is a bigger Actron scanner they usually have (not sure which one you saw they used) and it can check this quite easily.

In additon, we need to see that over time you get no more spooky CELs popping up. P0171 is one I can live with and it comes up every so often, but P1135 coming up repeatedly would be a small issue with an O2 sensor no doubt.
Old 05-09-06, 08:59 AM
jojatk
Driver School Candidate

Just for clarification, I should pull the fuse and drive around with the fuse out for an hour or so with a mix of city and highway driving? Or did I read that wrong and I should pull the fuse and then put it back in and then drive around.

I'm not very knowledgeable on this type of stuff so forgive me for silly questions. I have found the fuse so at least I've gotten that far

Originally Posted by Lexmex
The drive cycle itself can be checked via an OBDII scanner that has readiness monitors. Fortunately, since my home state of Florida doesn't have testing and Mexico can't force me to test, I never care much, but if you live in an emissions state, readiness monitors may be part of the testing.

What I would recommend you do is pull that fuse and then drive around for about an hour with a mix of highway and city driving, then the next day go by the Autozone again and ask to them check your car with one of the scanners that tests the readiness monitors. There is a bigger Actron scanner they usually have (not sure which one you saw they used) and it can check this quite easily.

In additon, we need to see that over time you get no more spooky CELs popping up. P0171 is one I can live with and it comes up every so often, but P1135 coming up repeatedly would be a small issue with an O2 sensor no doubt.
Old 05-09-06, 09:15 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Pull fuse and put it back in after 10 seconds or so, then go for the drive. I should have written the comment like the previous post, my bad.

That fuse should be a yellow 20 Amp. What it will do is reset your driving habits so to speak along with any CEL and the readiness monitors (but won't set those monitors until you have driven around enough).

Our RX300s have the adapative transmission that learns your driving habits over time and its main goals are fuel and emissions efficiency based on how you drive.
Old 05-09-06, 10:20 AM
alflash
Driver School Candidate

Hello,
take a look https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...7&page=1&pp=15
and "CONFIRMATION DRIVING PATTERN" for RX in
http://alflash.narod.ru/Harrier/Mode5.gif and details ( http://alflash.narod.ru/PCae/Afrs_.gif )

Quotes. AIR-FUEL RATIO (A/F) Monitor (Active A/F Ratio Control Type)
(1) Start the engine, and warm it up until the ECT reaches 75deg.C or higher.
(2) Drive the vehicle at 55 mph (88 km/h) or more for at least 10 minutes.
(3) Change the transmission to 2nd gear.
(4) Accelerate the vehicle to 55 mph (88 km/h) or more by depressing the accelerator pedal for at least 10 seconds.
5) Soon after performing step (4) above, release the accelerator pedal for at least 4 seconds without depressing the brake pedal, in order to execute fuel-cut control.
(6) Stop the vehicle and allow the engine to idle for 10 seconds or more.
(7) Allow the vehicle to decelerate until the vehicle speed declines to less than 6 mph (10 km/h).
(8) Repeat steps from (4) through (7) above at least 3 times in one driving cycle.
(9) Check the Readiness Monitor status displayed on the Scan Tool.
(10) If the status does not switch to COMPL (complete), make sure that the preconditions have been met, and then perform steps from (2) through (8) in Drive Pattern above.

MONITOR RESULT.
The test value and test limit information are described as shown in the following table. Check the monitor result and test values after performing the monitor driving pattern.
-MID (Monitor Identification Data) is assigned to each emissions-related component.
-TID (Test Identification Data) is assigned to each test value.
-Scaling is used to calculate the test value indicated on generic OBD ll scan tools.
http://alflash.narod.ru/PCae/Monitor_Results_small.gif
e.g. http://alflash.narod.ru/PCae/Mode6.gif

HTH,
Old 05-09-06, 02:13 PM
jojatk
Driver School Candidate

alflash,

I'm a little confused about step 6 and step 7. Are they out of order? I ask because step 6 says to stop the vehicle and then step 7 says to allow the vehicle to decelerate to under 6mph which seems backwards.

One more quick question... how safe is it to keep driving the vehicle IF the problem is the sensor until I can get it replaced? I have to drive on a business trip about 500 miles in the next couple of days and if need be I can rent a car while I take the RX to the shop.

Thanks so much for this help!!!

Originally Posted by alflash
Hello,
take a look https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...7&page=1&pp=15
and "CONFIRMATION DRIVING PATTERN" for RX in
http://alflash.narod.ru/Harrier/Mode5.gif and details ( http://alflash.narod.ru/PCae/Afrs_.gif )

Quotes. AIR-FUEL RATIO (A/F) Monitor (Active A/F Ratio Control Type)
(1) Start the engine, and warm it up until the ECT reaches 75deg.C or higher.
(2) Drive the vehicle at 55 mph (88 km/h) or more for at least 10 minutes.
(3) Change the transmission to 2nd gear.
(4) Accelerate the vehicle to 55 mph (88 km/h) or more by depressing the accelerator pedal for at least 10 seconds.
5) Soon after performing step (4) above, release the accelerator pedal for at least 4 seconds without depressing the brake pedal, in order to execute fuel-cut control.
(6) Stop the vehicle and allow the engine to idle for 10 seconds or more.
(7) Allow the vehicle to decelerate until the vehicle speed declines to less than 6 mph (10 km/h).
(8) Repeat steps from (4) through (7) above at least 3 times in one driving cycle.
(9) Check the Readiness Monitor status displayed on the Scan Tool.
(10) If the status does not switch to COMPL (complete), make sure that the preconditions have been met, and then perform steps from (2) through (8) in Drive Pattern above.

MONITOR RESULT.
The test value and test limit information are described as shown in the following table. Check the monitor result and test values after performing the monitor driving pattern.
-MID (Monitor Identification Data) is assigned to each emissions-related component.
-TID (Test Identification Data) is assigned to each test value.
-Scaling is used to calculate the test value indicated on generic OBD ll scan tools.
http://alflash.narod.ru/PCae/Monitor_Results_small.gif
e.g. http://alflash.narod.ru/PCae/Mode6.gif

HTH,
Old 05-09-06, 04:08 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

jojatk,

What alflash is describing can work if done properly. Not the first time I have seen such a list. However, my experience has been that normal driving will reset the readiness cycles much easier.

I know a pattern I sometimes use for racing involving the ac and the lights after I pull the EFI or the negative battery cable (have been doing the latter for some comparison performance purposes), but it wastes gas after I do it and the adaptive transmission pattern with the ECU fights me. However, that is a 'racing cycle' not a 'readiness monitor cycle". I now only do this on $$$ money days at the track when we have compeition and crummy weather, where I need consistency.

With regard to your question about the sensor, nothing drastic should happen. The ECU can compensate. There is a sort of default mode that can occur under certain errors including the O2 sensor. You won't even notice it, but it is just the ECU compensating similar to if the air got colder or the more exhaust went through the system.

The only other things mentioned on that error or the cable harness and the ECU itself beside the O2 sensor, but again if this persists I would put my finger on the O2 sensor especially if the CEL doesn't come on immediately after you reset the light as a harness or ECU would pop almost immediately.
Old 05-11-06, 03:10 AM
alflash
Driver School Candidate

Hi,
It's only Quotes from Lexus TSIB EG00-02 "READINESS MONITOR DRIVE PATTERNS"
"The Readiness Monitor will be reset to “incomplete” if:
- ECU has lost power (battery or fuse).
- DTCs have been cleared.
- The conditions for running the Readiness Monitor have not been met...
DRIVE PATTERN NO. 9: Oxygen/Air Fuel Ratio Sensor Monitor (Front AF Sensor and Rear O2S System) Monitor
Preconditions. The monitor will not run unless:
- MIL is OFF.
Drive Pattern Procedure. Connect the OBDII Scantool to DLC3 to check monitor status and preconditions.
a. Start the engine and allow it to idle for 2 minutes or more.
b. Drive the vehicle at 40 – 70 mph (64 – 112 km/h) or more for at least 3 minutes. Be sure to maintain engine speed between 900 and 3,200 rpm.
c. Stop the vehicle and allow the engine to idle for 10 seconds or more.
d. Drive the vehicle at 25 mph (40 km/h) for at least 40 seconds or more.
Be sure to maintain engine speed above 900 rpm.
e. Stop the vehicle and allow the engine to idle for 10 seconds or more.
f. Perform steps “d” and “e” ten times.
If readiness status does not switch to “complete,” ensure preconditions are met, turn the ignition switch OFF, then repeat steps “a” through “f.”
NOTE:
The readiness status may not switch to “complete” after the first drive pattern trip if a Pending Code has been set (first trip for a two–trip DTC).
- Pending Codes are available from the DTC Info Menu in Enhanced OBDII.
- Pending Codes indicate a POTENTIAL problem was detected. A second trip is needed to confirm the DTC prior to diagnosis.
- Once a second trip is completed, a current DTC will be stored.
DRIVE PATTERN NO. 10: Oxygen/AF Sensor Heater Monitor.
Drive Pattern Procedure. Connect the OBDII Scantool to DLC3 to check monitor status and preconditions.
a. Start the engine and allow it to idle for 9 minutes.
b. Drive the vehicle at 25 mph (40 km/h) or more for at least 2 minutes.
If readiness status does not switch to “complete,” ensure preconditions are met, turn the ignition OFF, then repeat steps “a” and “b.”
HTH,