RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Aux In for RX300

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-09, 04:28 PM
Flyrockies
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Install iPhone Aux w/ Charger

Thanks to all for your contributions. This actually helped me install a different device in my RX today. I purchased a USA SPEC iPod interface and cable from Crutchfield and mounted it inside my glove box. Now I can charge my Iphone 3G and play my Iphone through my factory Nav unit. It works great.
Old 06-10-09, 06:16 AM
ParkLewis
Driver School Candidate

Thank you TomV and all the other posters who offered advice in this thread. This was very helpful for me and it was nice to see the pics and wiring diagrams. I just got this wired up over the weekend and it works great.

Thank you.
Old 06-10-09, 07:36 AM
blueridge
Pole Position

I have the USA Spec too for our Camry. Word of caution, if you but a Gen4 Nano you will have to get a new cable.
Old 07-31-09, 08:19 PM
Inkoosikas
Driver School Candidate

Default Relay

Originally Posted by tomv
I successfully completed the Aux In mod for my 99 RX 300 using the Aux In for the IS300 instructions.

There are a few things about this you need to know before doing it.
You need to be in CD mode. If you have a disc in the magazine, it will continue playing the CD.. you just won't here it. If you put in a blank magazine, you'll see ERR2 on the screen and the CD motor will not spin.. This is what I do to save the CD motor.

If the iPod is playing and you switch to another mode..FM/AM/Tape..you'll here both sources at once.. simply pause the iPod.

The IS300 mod involves slicing into the wires coming from the head unit so you need to switch to go from FM/CD/iPod..

I find it more convienient to not have to do this and simply switch to CD mode and turn on the iPod.

I spliced into the CD changer Line Out wires and put in the socket and relay. I put the switch under the glove box since I rarely use the CD Changer so I didn't want to have the switch visible in everyday use.

The instructions I followed are here:
http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t...0&page=1&pp=30

I can only upload 1 picture at a time so there are more pictures in the replies.

Let me know if you have any questions or need more clarity.

When you remove the glove box (2 bolts at the top left and right when the box is open and 2 at the bottom left and right when the box is close), you'll see where the wires come in on the right. This area has a lot of space so I put the socket and relay here.
I am about to do this to my 2000 RX300, I want to know how important the relay is, and can i do this without it. I looked and wouldent I be able to just splice the two RCA cables in to the output from the cd canger? I would appriciate any responce to this.
Thanks
Old 08-01-09, 04:51 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Inkoosikas
I want to know how important the relay is, and can i do this without it. I looked and wouldent I be able to just splice the two RCA cables in to the output from the cd changer?
I have essentially done that (although with mating connectors to insert a custom wiring arrangement without splicing). I only play satellite radio, so it works for me. If you wanted to use other modes, it would be more of a problem maybe. As I recall, you need to have the CD changer playing (silent CDs). I thought about that but elected to have the cassette tape input selected and play a dummy cassette tape. I think one reason was a less annoying display on the screen.
Old 08-01-09, 05:45 AM
Inkoosikas
Driver School Candidate

Default No relay

Thanks for the quick reply, I think that i will try this tonight.
Thanks
Old 12-05-09, 06:55 PM
vivawafs
Driver School Candidate

I tried this process tonight but got mismatching connections out of the cd changer unit on a 1999 RX300. Only 5 wires are coming out of cd changer and the colors are not matching the ones specified in this. Has anybody faced a similar situation like this?

Any response will be appreciated.

I checked my CD changer and the unit is Pioneer cdx-m9186zt (86270-48030). The harness has only 5 wires going in pins 1,6, 8,9,10. It seems 1,6 are for power as when I removed them, it didnt power up but I may be wrong.

Last edited by vivawafs; 12-05-09 at 06:57 PM. Reason: more info
Old 12-06-09, 07:17 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vivawafs
I tried this process tonight but got mismatching connections out of the cd changer unit on a 1999 RX300.
Please explain what "this" is (i.e., what did you try?). Also please clarify what you mean by "mismatching connections".
Old 12-06-09, 07:39 AM
vivawafs
Driver School Candidate

Default Some more details

Originally Posted by bob2200
Please explain what "this" is (i.e., what did you try?). Also please clarify what you mean by "mismatching connections".
Thanks for your help bob2200. Here is what i did.

I took out the passenger side panel and see the cd changer with two sets of harnesses. One is a blue socket with one wire coming out of it (I am guessing here this is the serial line for CD player check by this head sytem.) and the another socket has a harness having 12 input points.

In this thread, the wires were of color white/red/green/black for the R and L output. I didnt see these specifc colors in the wires that were coming out of the cd changer.

By mismatching connections I meant, in this thread the pins were 1,6 and 2,7. In my case nothing is present in 2 and 7.

These are the 5 wires and their pin location that I found:
Pin no. 5: Red with a stripe of white
Pin no. 12: Gray
Pin no. 10: Pin with black strip
Pin no. 9: Grey with red strip
Pin no. 8: Brown

The other pins were empty.

I tried out by splicing the wires 5,12 to see if these are R+/- wires so that I can plug another input to it. But after splicing them up, the cd changer mode didnt kick off when clicked on CD button on the head unit.

In case it helps: My CD changer is Pioneer cdx-m9186zt (86270-48030) with a manufacturing date of Jan 1999.

I checked the radio wiring diagram for 1999 rx300 and it has lot more wire connections going into cd changer unit. Kind of confused what these 5 wires are for and how I can tap these to get my aux-in configured.

I think I numbered the pins the other way. Now when I match the pins, the colors and location are matching with the wiring diagram. It seems that the audio is not coming out of this connection. Its coming from the second socket which is a much thicker gray wire going into a blue socket.

Last edited by vivawafs; 12-06-09 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Corrected pin numbers
Old 12-06-09, 07:56 AM
vivawafs
Driver School Candidate

Default It seems its the other blue connector

It seems that these 5 pins are not at all for audio.

Here is what I did. I removed the other blue pin having a thick grey wire out. Then I powered on and tried to play CD. No sound and as soon as I plugged in the blue connector, the sound started coming again.

So now the question is any idea what this thick wire is and how I can tap into it to play my aux-in through it?

I mean I know this is audio. May be I just need to splice it and see the wires in it. I just need to try to adopt this threads config to the one I have and see if I am able to successfully place the relay and switch here.

I will try and let you know. Incase anyone has tried it, it will be great to hear what was done to resolve this config

Last edited by vivawafs; 12-06-09 at 08:06 AM. Reason: More details
Old 12-06-09, 06:22 PM
vivawafs
Driver School Candidate

Default Digital Cable for Digital Output

The cable is a digital cable for Digital output based on the research so far. But I have no clue of what kind of interface it is and internet search has not resulted into anything fruitful.

Does anyone faced this issue?

I know as this is an old system, either are links are dead or just for parts. Not much info is available.

Does anyone have idea on what i could search on the net?
Old 12-06-09, 08:57 PM
ilanh
Driver School Candidate

Why didin't you try to use the TAPE input, so you basicly "kill" the tape option (which is useless) and use it for the iPod.
Old 12-08-09, 06:44 PM
vivawafs
Driver School Candidate

Default RE: Tape

Originally Posted by ilanh
Why didin't you try to use the TAPE input, so you basicly "kill" the tape option (which is useless) and use it for the iPod.
Well, I still have some tapes and my plan is to add more capabilities to my system. I am using the tape option to play for time being.
Old 06-18-11, 06:41 PM
brenticus
Driver School Candidate

Hello. I just got a 2000 RX yesterday and tried this mod today, but got stuck. I got this far:

Now I need to connect a switch, but I don't know how. I know I'm supposed to connect it to 13, but I don't know where on the switch to connect it to. I also don't know how to connect it to the cigarette lighter and the ground.
Old 06-18-11, 07:54 PM
salimshah

Received 1,073 Likes on 966 Posts

Originally Posted by brenticus
Hello. I just got a 2000 RX yesterday and tried this mod today, but got stuck. I got this far:

Now I need to connect a switch, but I don't know how. I know I'm supposed to connect it to 13, but I don't know where on the switch to connect it to. I also don't know how to connect it to the cigarette lighter and the ground.
which switch are you talking about?

For switched 12v (when you move the key to off, power is turned off), you need to tap off the two wires going to the cigarette lighter. <= This is pretty basic. Are you sure you are not above your head in this mod [Excuse me, it is pretty hard to know the expertise level over the net].

Salim

Quick Reply: Aux In for RX300