RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Bad Window Bad

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-08, 06:40 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
EXCELLENT!!! Always great to hear successful, long term successful, DIY projects. Is your RX the "hunter green" ?
No, actually black.
Old 08-08-08, 01:12 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is my problem:

The front driver window is not held in place. I found the window at a diagonal recently. If it had fallen perfectly straight it would have broken. A local shop says its a bad regulator.

The motor works fine. I can hear it going up and down when I push the window switch. When it gets to the top it knocks into the window a bit. It seems like the window is just not attached to the scissors bracket/motor anymore. What do you guys think? Right now there is tape (ghetto) holding the window in place.

It's a 2001 RX300 SS.
Old 08-09-08, 11:37 AM
Mut
Rookie

Every now and then when I roll up my 99 RX's driver side window, it goes up to the top and bounces back down as if something had been in the way. Is this also a motor issue?
Old 05-30-10, 05:21 PM
LALexusOwn
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My stealership said it was the switch AND regulator (motor). Thanks LexMex for the info and pictures and everything. I'm guessing it is a safety feature, so that little fingers, like kids, don't get smashed. To me, as long as the motor is running, it's not the motor. And most likely replacing it won't fix the problem. I did the deep clean. Here are my symptoms. Passenger side rolls down with no problem. rolling up would stick and stop. sometimes it would stick and roll back down. Sometimes, just stick in the down position.
It 's too smart and probably thought someones head was in there.
I took it apart, used deep purple from wal-mart and cleaned everything real good. then white spray greased the rails and joints, just like the Lexmex directions. I didn't clean the actuator, cause I didn't see any details on what to clean and how. I also cleaned and greased the window glass rails. and I used electrical spray and wd40 on the switch. everything is working better than new. THANKS!!!
Old 09-01-10, 02:16 PM
ParaVoodoo
Driver School Candidate

Default Window not staying in rubber holder

I read the posts and the removal info was great, but i cannot seem to keep the window in the channel that is attached to the motor. it is held by a rubber gasket in a metal channel. is there anything i can use to get the rubber to adhere to the glass more securely? thanks
Old 09-01-10, 03:02 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ParaVoodoo
I read the posts and the removal info was great, but i cannot seem to keep the window in the channel that is attached to the motor. it is held by a rubber gasket in a metal channel. is there anything i can use to get the rubber to adhere to the glass more securely? thanks
Welcome to the Club.

I'm not exactly sure what you are referring to. Is there a particular part of one the photos that might help me figure it out?
Old 09-03-10, 07:43 PM
ParaVoodoo
Driver School Candidate

In the removal of the window from the lifting arm in your picture there are 2 10mm bolts that hold the window to the rail. In my Lexus, the window sits in a rubber lined channel without positive attachment (gravity only.) I put a piece of packing tape across the bottom of the window, to increase the thickness, which i consider a temporary fix. I am looking for a permanent solution. Are there any "tricks" to get the rubber to hold on to the glass? Is there adhesive that is designed for glass to rubber? Do I just need a new rubber channel?
thanks for the help.
Old 09-04-10, 04:03 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ParaVoodoo
In the removal of the window from the lifting arm in your picture there are 2 10mm bolts that hold the window to the rail. In my Lexus, the window sits in a rubber lined channel without positive attachment (gravity only.) I put a piece of packing tape across the bottom of the window, to increase the thickness, which i consider a temporary fix. I am looking for a permanent solution. Are there any "tricks" to get the rubber to hold on to the glass? Is there adhesive that is designed for glass to rubber? Do I just need a new rubber channel?
thanks for the help.
I don't know of a particular product offhand that's going to do that. What you mentioned you did would be a first instinct for me. The problem with the window (if it isn't greasing the rails) winds up in th end being the motor itself. Even if the window 'wavers' a bit because it isn't set right in the channel, a good motor should still be able to lift it right.

Thus, if putting extra tape to keep it fit in the channel doesn't work, then it's something electrical there.

I've had hell in dealing with my own driver's side window and all the current greasing has only helped a little. A recent replacement of my battery did help somewhat get a charge there, but I do know that the motor itself is on the way out.
Old 09-05-10, 12:08 PM
ParaVoodoo
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the advice, the pictures were very helpful, it's really only on the going down that the problem occurred so I'm inclined to believe it's the channel not the motor because up is not the problem. I'll 'stick' with the tape and see if that will be my final solution.
Thanks Again