RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Oil Change/Coolant drain

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-06, 11:06 PM
wing0
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oil Change/Coolant drain

I was just wondering if the procedure of changing oil(placement of filter) and the changing coolant is the same as a Highlander.
If it is, can't I just bring my car to Toyota instead?
Old 05-22-06, 04:17 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Good question. It depends on the Toyota dealer. Some welcome Lexus, and others refuse to do routine maintenance on RX's. My local Toyota dealer was OK with changing my RX's oil until about a year ago. Since then, they have made it clear that Lexus's were unwelcome in numerous ways, including charging more than for a Toyota, not honoring coupons (excuse is "it's not a Toyota"), pushing me back in the queue when other cars came in later, etc.

Another consideration is that a record of the service doesn't get into the Lexus-dealer's computer system, for what that's worth.
Old 05-22-06, 05:37 AM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, the powertrain is the same as the Highlander and the Sienna.
As bob2200 said, it depends on the dealer. It was about a year ago that Toyota corporate mandated that Toyota dealers are not allowed to order parts that only fit Lexus products. So, if something bad happens to a special part while they are working on your Lexus, they might be stuck trying to get a replacement part. Worst case, they might have to pay the same retail price we have to pay at a Lexus dealer - how terrible! The odds of that are pretty small on routine maintenance, but most dealers like to avoid risks.
Old 05-22-06, 08:55 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

What bob2200 and rxdriver are saying is correct. Often, the Lexus and Toyota dealers are owned by the same group. Toyota Mexico has offered me the serivce of getting the Lexus parts only because they don't have Lexus and when they finally do come they are supposed to run out of the same dealer as of the current plan (like Nissan and Infinit down here). However, I use my family to get Leuxs specific parts sent down.

Having looked at a friend's Highlander down here, I am pretty positive the oil procedure is the same along with the filter (K&N HP-1002 is used on both in my case) Though, if I also remember correctly, there are differences with the coolant drains between the FWD and AWD models.
Old 05-22-06, 10:07 PM
wing0
Intermediate

How about coolant flush/drain?

Since the car is out of warranty(not because of mileage but age), I really do not feel the need to pay $100 to Lexus for a oil change that's the same as Highlander(which I got a quote that is only $40ish). I actually asked the service advisor(used to be Lexus and Toyota together, now separated) if I can bring my RX300 in and she ask if it's the same as Highlander. If it is, then it's only $40 to get it done and they have more service bay than Lexus.
As for the coolant, I have to get that changed this weekend, that's y I was wondering if I can just do both at toyota to save money.
Old 05-23-06, 06:17 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Toyota should be able to do it all.
Old 05-23-06, 08:31 AM
mmahamm
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wing0
As for the coolant, I have to get that changed this weekend...
Just curious - Why do you HAVE to get the coolant changed this weekend? Doesn't seem like the kind of maintenance item that has that kind of time-specific urgency attached to it.
Old 05-23-06, 12:12 PM
wing0
Intermediate

oh...it's nothing to do with the car. It's more of on my time schedule that I should get it done now rather than wait till my next free spot on saturday.

I'm gonna call Toyota again to confirm they can do it. Also calling a few indepedent shops and see their price.
Old 05-23-06, 12:20 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

But Toyota will have OEM fluids. Don't be afraid to go to the newer "pink" super long life coolant (SLLC). It's design compatable with the"red" long life coolant . Good for five years. Toyota dealers supply it.
Old 05-23-06, 05:47 PM
wing0
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tammy
But Toyota will have OEM fluids. Don't be afraid to go to the newer "pink" super long life coolant (SLLC). It's design compatable with the"red" long life coolant . Good for five years. Toyota dealers supply it.
After reading RX300 How2. I think it's really time that I start doing some of these maintenances myself. So currently, the coolant in my car is the red long life coolant? How "long" life are these? same as Dexcool with their 5 yr claim(i hate GM)?
When I was reading the guide, it says I'd need around 9L to put back in, is that already taking into account of the 50:50 ratio with water?

The car right now have around 32000km and I really want to do ATF change also seeing all the transmission problem(again read the guide, seems not too hard).

Should I stick with Toyota engine oil if i change it myself? or go for other brands? I'll leave synthetic alone for now as I'm not sure how it affects the seals which I heard could start leaking?
Old 05-23-06, 06:04 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

After reading RX300 How2. I think it's really time that I start doing some of these maintenances myself. So currently, the coolant in my car is the red long life coolant? How "long" life are these? same as Dexcool with their 5 yr claim(i hate GM)?
When I was reading the guide, it says I'd need around 9L to put back in, is that already taking into account of the 50:50 ratio with water?

The car right now have around 32000km and I really want to do ATF change also seeing all the transmission problem(again read the guide, seems not too hard).

Should I stick with Toyota engine oil if i change it myself? or go for other brands? I'll leave synthetic alone for now as I'm not sure how it affects the seals which I heard could start leaking?
I won't go into what I specifically do regarding coolant and coolant additives in Mexico City, since that is a unique, high altitude situation.

I happen to do my coolant once every year though it can last of course much longer (someone can follow up on this one).

9.0 liters (this includes the 50% water/50% Toyota Red Coolant)

The service manual says to use demineralized or distilled water.

With your engine oil, keep the grade at 5W30. The issue with synthetics and leakage MAY happen initially when you first use it (based on some experiences with other vehicles), but I don't know of anyone in this forum who can relate such an issue with their RX300. You alone have to decide whether to go with the synthetic or not. Yet, we have had RX300 owners using different brands of 5W30 synthetics for years.
Old 05-23-06, 06:31 PM
wing0
Intermediate

I always have a problem with this distilled water thing. Can't I buy those 4L water in grocery stores? Are those ok? some of them called spring water and such...

If I get better at doing these stuff, I'd go to 5000km oil change instead of the 8000km interval. This will not only reduce the chance of sludging and still an inexpensive way to maintain the car. Synthetic oil here cost a lot for some reason when I can find a lot cheaper price down in the states but I don't go there that often.

What's good brands? Castrol, Vavoline?
Old 05-23-06, 06:54 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I always have a problem with this distilled water thing. Can't I buy those 4L water in grocery stores? Are those ok? some of them called spring water and such...

If I get better at doing these stuff, I'd go to 5000km oil change instead of the 8000km interval. This will not only reduce the chance of sludging and still an inexpensive way to maintain the car. Synthetic oil here cost a lot for some reason when I can find a lot cheaper price down in the states but I don't go there that often.

What's good brands? Castrol, Vavoline?
I have never known somene to have a problem with the spring water (nor has my uncle who is a mechanic), but as I mentioned the manual shows distilled or demineralized. There has been debate on CL about the distilled and nondistilled water issue.

I do the 3,000 mile or 5,000 km oil change now (since I use some additives, but don't follow my example there). I have used Mobil 1 since I have owned my RX, several others use Amsoil, while Castrol Syntec, Redline and Royal Purple are also popular synthetics.

Keep in mind the synthetic is going to give you better protection and actually it has a longer drain interval than regular oil.
Old 05-23-06, 07:18 PM
wing0
Intermediate

How do you actually bleed the coolant system?

It says in the manual:
replace differential fluid every 24 months/32000km
replace transfer case fluid every 24 months/24000km

I believe differential fluid uses the same ATF while transfer case use something else?
Is there instruction on how to get to these two places with pictures? I can't find it on How2.
Thanks.
Old 05-23-06, 07:30 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

How do you actually bleed the coolant system?

It says in the manual:
replace differential fluid every 24 months/32000km
replace transfer case fluid every 24 months/24000km

I believe differential fluid uses the same ATF while transfer case use something else?
Is there instruction on how to get to these two places with pictures? I can't find it on How2.
Thanks.
All I do with the coolant system is basically dump the coolant out one of the drain plugs and then replace.

I did a thread not too long ago on replacing the differential and transfer case fluids, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=214000

The rear differential and transfer case can use 75W90 fluid. Some have used Mobil 1 75W90 gear oil (probably easiest to get), while I used Royal Purple 75W90 (since I couldn't get the Mobil 1 stuff in Mexico) or even Redline 75W90 gear fluid is also good, too.

When you are talking about ATF and the differential, you are referring to the front differential, which has a separate drain plug, but it is filled the same way you would the ATF fluid for the tranny, see https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=214013

What TunedRX300 is going to do is actually take the pan off the of the transmission along with the filter, which we were talking about in one of the threads today. My thread only goes into how to do the front differential/transmission without taking off the pan.

Quick Reply: Oil Change/Coolant drain